1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Gasol Take 2? Yes, Please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Know Your Role

I can say I was wrong about his stats, I was under the assumption he was not producing at the level he has or should be. I haven't seen him play with the tenacity I saw in Memphis or the two championship years since 2010. That is not an idiot's opinion of him. Further I am under the assumption that it will get worse as he gets older. The Lakers wanted to trade him for their future, I feel we would put the Rocekt's long term future success in jeopardy by signing him at this point.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is that a real vid? He's saying "Stop dribbling...Stop"

Can't be real??

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There's nothing crazy about thinking he can still be pretty good at the age of 34.

With his size and shot, he should last longer than average.

4. Know Your Role

I gotcha, well said. Thanks for the response, I'm sorry i freaked out and had to keep it real. I'm concerned about the Rocekts getting into another situation where we are held hostage by veterans we can't play due to injury. Rockets got burned bad for 6 years and I don't want to see the same mistakes happen.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's awesome.

Looks similar to this guy.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. heartofachamp34

Gasol is not a 'premier player'. He's not a franchise cornerstone. He's not an alpha male or a lead dog. At his best as the first option, he was perenially swept out of the first round. And this writer thinks he can do it now when he's 7 years older? SMH.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No worries. To me, it comes down to the deal. You just can't give up Lowry for Gasol, even though it probably would make us a better team right now. The age gap would be too much, and we'd be giving up a true building block. But if Morey can somehow do it with Martin/Scola as the centerpieces, it's a good move for us.

8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Well then it aint happening. ;)

9. jus10

jus10 Member

Hello, I'm new to clutchfans; Well, posting that is. I've been reading this site for a while. I'm a loyal Rockets Fan. Just gotta give my two cents on Gasol, over-rated, & soft. He isn't the reason LA won that last championship. Artest, and his Therepist is. He doesn't wanna play here so why even explore a trade with someone who is going to be unhappy here in the first place? The Chron just amazes me with there stupidy. Your going to basically rent him for one yr, he is going to belly ache n moan, tear up the team chemistry and voice his opinion that he wants out because he never wanted to play here? LoL, i just think that is simply SILLY! even if he wanted to play here I don't want him. He is a hard as french toast.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Who else are we gonna get in a trade?

Put him in the right lineup and you'll get 3 or 4 more very good years with the dude.

The Rockets right now are on nobody's list as free agent destinations. The longer we lose, the more we are forgotten.

I'd love the Heat to say, Let's trade Bosh for some depth, but it isn't happening. I'd love Les to flush Scola and KevinM for cap space and draft picks and a way for us to draft high, but it isn't happening, either.

11. heartofachamp34

You don't make a move just to make a move. It reeks of desperation. Everyone in the league is trying to dump their bad contracts and aging borderline all-stars on us now because they know we'll overpay for them. If we can't get a real superstar, then do it the right way, through the draft and rebuilding.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm all for trading scola, but gasol is like gasol in memphis now. If it were not for kobe in his mix, he would quit like he did in memphis.

13. The Cat

You also don't not make a move just because a player isn't a superstar. If you can upgrade your team, you do it, even if it isn't the LeBron James signing to single-handedly transform your team into a contender.

The Lakers aren't trying to dump Gasol. The proposed deal that almost brought him here would have netted them Chris Paul. If a serious Gasol deal comes up again, it's almost a certainty that the Rockets' assets would go to a third team that could get the Lakers another star (Howard?).

14. The Cat

There is absolutely no evidence that the Pau Gasol at the end of his time in Memphis was significantly different from the rest of his career.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01.html

15. jus10

jus10 Member

that was my point. I'm glad someone sees it well, for what it is: if it looks like a duck, talks like a duck..sure enough its Gasol. :)

16. heartofachamp34

You don't make a move for a player that isn't a superstar so that the team you're dealing with gets a real superstar. The upgrade our team would get is tiny compared to the upgrade the Lakers would get off our hard work.

And yes they absolutely are trying to dump Gasol. He doesn't fit at all in their new coach's offensive system (if you can call what Mike Brown runs a system). They know he's declining and don't want a repeat of his performance in last year's playoffs. Which is exactly what he would give us in a playoff run.

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

He was saying "Double Dribble" because Blake Griffin lost control of his dribble, picked the ball up, then started dribbling again.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I would agree, but Les won't tank, and no player wants to come here.

19. The Cat

I don't believe in deciding on a trade based on a third team that may or may not be in competition with you. Way too many variables. You look at who departs for you and who comes in - at least that's my philosophy. Way too many things can change when you're talking about other players and other teams.

I guess we shouldn't trade for LeBron James, either, since he had a poor playoff series. Still haven't seen any evidence of decline, by the way.

20. Madeinchin4

Madeinchin4 Member

U have got to be kidding me