1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Gasol Take 2? Yes, Please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Feb 14, 2012.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He's 31, for starters. Second, you don't need metrics? You just pull things out of your ass? Pau Gasol has been remarkably consistent and is basically the same player this year that he's always been.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/996/pau-gasol

As far as justifying it, Gasol averages more points, rebounds and assists per game on a higher shooting percentage, higher free-throw percentage and fewer turnovers than Hibbert and Bogut. The same was true for the pre-injury Bogut. Gasol is the better player and it's not even CLOSE.

2. The Cat

1 person likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree with both the people that do want Gasol, and those that dont.

Those that do say -

-Playing on the Lakers hurts his production, especially without a true PG.
    -Gasol is slightly better defensive player than Scola, and rebounds much better.
    -Gives team a true Allstar
    -Establishes a low post offensive force that will dramatically improve the offense

Those that don't say-

-Production isnt worth Martin/Scola
    -Contract will be a cap killer
    -Gasol is 31 already & has a limited amount of years left in the tank
    -Gasol is Soft

All in all, I think the production that Scola and Martin have provided this year has not been irreplacable with players on the bench like Patterson(as of lately), and Lee. Oddly enough the player involved in this trade that would be missed the most would be Dragic, but its almost certain that he will be leaving the Rockets this summer anyways.

Short term, it helps the Rockets get under the cap this year, but long term he does count for almost 1/3 of the salary cap in 2013. Thats the downside, but I believe that Morey needs to make this move if its available now.

The moves that Morey needs to watch if this does go through is not overpaying for role players to surround Gasol/Lowry with. I trust that he can do this as shown from his track record in signing free agents, and his best value as a GM in bringing in the best role players available in the draft.

Getting Gasol to matchup with Lowry gives you 2/3 of the groundwork for a strong playoff team. I say you do it.

1 person likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don't think it's unrealistic if Morey still plans on Morris being our SF, that makes Parsons expendable and we wouldn't need Pat because we have DMO to come be our backup next season. We both furnish Orlando with 1st round picks. Orlando would shed crap tons of Salary have some picks and young talent. I think Orlando would rather Pat than Martin anyways because they will be worrying about the future and he'd be great compliment to Anderson.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7bxkv5z

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No, Pau spots not make us a contender. But Pau plus Lowry or Dwill plus one other big piece does.

6. Know Your Role

He's dropped off in ppg, rpg, bpg. I'm not blind so NO I am not pulling things out of my ass. Since you want to make this personal I suggest you know your role and shut your mouth. I will happily put my boot up your ass since you need it to wake your sorry sack ass up. You don't get my point.

THERE IS NO NEED TO AQUIRE ANYONE OVER 30 at any position. What is going to happen to Pau? His numbers will not get better, he is not getting younger, injuries will show themselves. The Lakers rode him like the Cowboys rode Emmitt Smith and burned him out. I'd rather take more of a risk with a guy that is not that old. Why is this so upsetting to you? Why does this make me pull things out of my ass. WHY YOU MAD BRO?

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Lowry, Pau, and Eric Gordon.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Doesn't really say that he played best at Center with Lamar playing the 4 in the article. The writer did proclaim him as the best Center in the game ahead of Tim Duncan, of course that was in 2010.

And from what I remember Lopez was playing the Center position along with Frye to spread the floor in that playoff series in 2010, with Gasol mainly man-to-man on Stoudemire. I also see that it's been 2 years (essentially 3 by that article, season was 09 but playoffs started in '10) he may have lost a bit of a step athletically speaking but I agree with you his numbers have been fairly consistent overall. I would also still consider him a PF over any other position.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/pau_gasol/career_stats.html

It would be nice if he and Parsons could facilitate as that Odom/Gasol combo but CP needs to develop his jumper. Maybe he and Morris can conjure that duo of production back up if he gets sufficient PT. That is if we in fact make the trade for Pau.

9. jackiespam

jackiespam Member

houston interest in gasol

Dmorey priorty in any deal for gasol is to not add any payroll that effect the rockets ability to have max cap space to make a run at free agents like nash, deron williams, and dwight howard... howards interest in new jersey is not the interest in the city but the chance to play with deron williams, houston doesnt have the star power that the three teams howard has mention. Adding a big name like gasol would interest howard or williams that having the current set of players that houston has. my proposal to LA for gasol would be Lowry, Scola, and thabeet for Gasol.

Salaries outgoing
    Houston
    Kyle Lowry -
    $5,750,000
    Luis Scola -
    $8,591,793
    Thabeet
    $5,127,720
    total of 19,469,513

LA
    Gasol
    $18,714,150

2012 salary for houston Cap would be between 55 to 58 million
    Kevin Martin $12,939,675
    Pau Gasol $19,000,000
    Chase Budinger $942,293 Team Option
    Chandler Parson - 700,00 estimate
    Patterson - $2,096,760
    Donatas Moujunas - 1,200,000 if he come from oversees
    Morris- 1,200,000

morris and donatas salary are estimates

without donatas salary $36,878,728
    with donatas (if he comes from oversees)
    $38,078,728

Cap is at 55 to 58 million
    thats about 17 to 20 million to spend
    enough to make a max offer for howard or williams, or even nash

a combination of martin and gasol with williams, nash or howard is nice to start with...

lots of fans will not like to give up lowry but houston has to give up something that lakers would be interested.

Kyle lowry is not a a superstar in the making, nice player but not a untouchable

10. The Cat

10.5 rebounds is fewer than 10.2? Thanks for the math lesson! Had no idea.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Are you high? Or just a laker fan?

Notice the lakers were the only team that had increased wins after the trade.

You're saying give up Scola, Pat, Dragic, thabeet, Parsons, AND a 1st rounder!
    For one guy!! That's terrible (Charles barkley voice)

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

You're such an idiot. If you actually watched their games, you would know that Gasol isn't getting the ball fed to him anymore. It's Kobe, Kobe, Bynum, then Gasol. He would instantly be the best player on this team, he's one of the most consistent players I have ever seen. Comparing a PF to a RB? Really? You've gone off the deep end with your comparison and you are just looking foolish. It amazes me that people would keep Kevin Martin and Scola over Gasol and starting Courtney Lee.

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I don't know. I would not mind giving up Scola and Martin, but I would really like to keep both our PGs. I like the safety net of having 2 starting pgs available. I'd like it even more if we had 3 (Lin instead of Flynn).

I don't like the idea of giving LA one of our young and better players for an aging star. I also don't like the idea of helping the Lakers.

Giving up 3 of our top 5 players for 1 player that was really good, but is on the wrong side of 30, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'd like to see what that NY pick gives us. So I would really appreciate it if Lin would start sucking again. Or just bring back Melo ASAP that ought to do the trick.

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Making threats over the internet... The sign of a true man!

15. The Cat

This. It cracks me up when people say Gasol quit in Memphis, isn't what he was three years ago or that the Lakers "burned him out" (WTF?). Look at the numbers. Gasol has been incredibly, ridiculously consistent from the moment he entered the NBA over a decade ago. I'd say his overall level of play has been as close to a flat line as any player you'll ever see, and he's still right on that line.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01.html

And when you consider that most of Gasol's game is built around IQ, fundamentals and length... he's not the kind of guy that would likely have a rapid decline. I think a similar decline to what Tim Duncan had is most likely, and Duncan remained near peak form until age 34 (and he's still a good player, now).

I think a lot of you allow team success or failure to cloud your view of individuals. Somehow, there seems to be this perception that Gasol underachieved in Memphis, was a legit star for 2-3 years in LA (three Western Conference titles, two NBA titles) and is now on the decline. In reality, he's been a remarkably similar player in all three of those "eras". The difference in team success is in the caliber of those around him.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

people you have to understand that the difference between a deal going thru and not going thru is contract situation... this is a business... and morey is a damn fine gm when it comes to salarys... he doesnt want to hand cuff himself with pau's contract... at the begining of year sure , because he believed he had a shot at his brother marc accepting our offersheet and signing nene... but do you honestly think after lowry's breakout year and on such a fantastic contract he would trade a on the rise player with a great contract for a on the decline player with a large contract...

i dont want pau... his name isnt strong enough to bring other stars here... sorry... he isnt dwight,kobe,lebron,wade, cp3, blake, dirk... he is pau... not in the same league when it comes to name recognition... so he isnt all of a sudden start attracting free agents for us...

if morey does any deal for pau it wont involve lowry,but better yet dragic, we would be getting rid of scola as well, most likely also martin... i would atleast stand for a trade of them three for pau... but if we add lowry instead of dragic, i will start comparing morey to ed wade...

17. Know Your Role

No, I just want to seem as animated and internet angry as the b**** who started acting like a high schooler stuck on the library computer talking tough. I've delt with assholes on TDS for long enough to know how to deal with teenage virgins. Look, let me calmly put this into my reasoning.

I'm not the only person who believes Pau's best years are behind him, and we shouldn't be wasting anymore time going after a declining or near declining player. Period. This isn't a game of lets see who can google the stats we so desperetly need to make our point. The guy is old and getting older, LETS MOVE ON. I actually like him, I'm not hating on Gasol. I just don't want the Rockets to trade two good players for him and some peanuts.

18. Know Your Role

Look man, I get that. It is a concern of health and long term reliability. Do you really think we can depend on him for 3 or 4 years?

19. s2kboy16

s2kboy16 Member

Pau Gasol: Future Houston Rocket?
    [​IMG]

20. The Cat

Gasol hasn't missed as much as a single game due to injury in the past two years and has no known health risks. His game isn't overly dependent on athleticism. He'll be fine. Like I said, I think his decline will be similar to that of Tim Duncan - probably beginning around age 34. That would mean he has this season and two more (through 2014) at a peak level. That's also when his contract expires, so there's not too much risk of being saddled with an albatross of a deal.