1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Gasol Take 2? Yes, Please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Feb 14, 2012.

1. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Just a question if anyone follows advanced stats, is gasol n

2. faraza84

faraza84 Member

More effective as a 4 or 5 and is the diff big enough to warrant a move. If he did come here I assume he would be playing a 5 but if we trade scola would ppat be our pf. He said in an interview that he still thinks he's the post player in the league. If we use him right and with the attitude he has to prove himself I could possibly be down for this.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure if anyone else brought this up or not but this cannot happen because Garnett will be a free agent this summer. Not to mention it makes no sense for any team.

Boston can re-sign Garnett for a fraction of the cost, Houston cannot and should not build around Garnett or give up a piece like Scola when they could just sign him in free agency, and the Lakers would only be doing this strickly for lux tax reasons. They wont be able to sell that trade to their fanbase. You just downgraded your roster to save money and thats it.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is difficult to winnow out Pau's time at center vs. PF because of Bynum being in and out the past 4 years with injuries. Certainly he played mostly PF this year because Bynum was healthy. So using the imperfect player metric of PER (I personally prefer metrics that evaluate win share but I won't go there)

08-09 22.31 PER
    09-10 22.97
    10-11 23.33
    11-12 20.51

This data is available on ESPN.

However the issue is much more complicated than that. Many knowledgeable and smart NBA people grade Gasol as the third or forth best center in the league. On the other hand he is getting older.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Either you forgot Bynum exists or you should be ignored from here on out. I'm hoping it's the first.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Go ahead and ignore me. Gasol is loads better than Bynum.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I thought of including Philly in a 3-way trade; certainly we have Philly players that the 76ers might want (Kyle, Marcus Morris) and others.

I'm not saying to send Kyle and MM alone for Iggy, but something in the grand scale of things that might placate the three teams, with Gasol coming here.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

One player is very much on the upswing, while another player is more or less in decline with less desire to prove himself. One player actually gets upset, when he doesn't get the ball in his hands, while it seems like the other player does whatever Kobe says or what the defense dictates.

Bynum is hungrier, about 7 years younger, much more aggressive, more willing to be a go-to player, not quite as meek, slightly better defender, more efficient scorer, and slightly more dominate presence in the post.

Gasol is a versatile player who can do every thing well, but he's not a go-to player at this point in his career. I doubt he could even carry a team, very far or as far as Bynum could. Most of all, if he's a top 2-3 center, then his numbers in playoffs were absolutely pitiful for such a player. How did his numbers decrease across the board in scoring, rebounding, shooting percentage, and etc. Gasol also feeds alot more off of Kobe and Bynum, more so than those two players do him.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

17.4/10.4/1.4/50%/31yo vs. 18.7/11.8/1.9/56%/24yo

That's really all that needs to be said. And I like Gasol.

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

11. jopatmc

All you guys that think Bynum is so great, just wait until he secures his next 4 or 5 year max deal. He will turn into a total loaf.

Heart? Spirit? Fight?

We just witnessed Bynum less than a week ago on the grand stage, everything on the line, and he gets a case of the blahs.

When their careers are over, there well be no question, Pau will have had the superior career. Bynum will be remembered like Benoit Benjamin.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, every team thinks they have the goods, and wants, to fukfill a PGasol trade.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Second third forth it really does not matter that much. They are possibly the most valuable commodities in today's NBA because there is almost no way a team get get their hands on a promising young center. Just not available unless they are complete head cases. And maybe not even then - Howard, Cousins, Bynum etc. come immediately to mind. Every team wants a center that can possibly give them 20/10/2 and offer rim protection. And there are just about 4 or so of them.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

fukfill - that put a smile on my face. Took me a moment to figure out what you meant.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

oops, shouldn't keyboard with a puppy in my lap...:eek:

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Same exact thing could be said of Pau, except he's a lot older!

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No, not exact same thing. BTW - - I believe the next 4 years +/- will be better overall Pau than 'drew.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Don't know about the Benoit Benjamin bit, but I agree wholeheartedly with the "total loaf".

Bynum has a major attitude problem. Maybe someone'll slap him upside the head and bring him back down to Earth, but I'll quote Luis Scola (lip-reading his comment about Bynum when he was thrown out of the game for the 2nd twice against us this year): "He's so stupid!"

19. jopatmc

He's 24 years old. By the time his contract expires next season, he will be 25 years old and already earned $65 million. And he will be signing with some stupid team for another $65-80 million, possibly more. His attitude reaks of it. He don't care.

"I'll go anywhere and play for anybody."

That's a quote that says it all. He's gobbling up his dollars. Doesn't really ultimately care. Doesn't have that burn to be great or to win. He's just playing for the next contract and to stay healthy so he can get to the next contract. By the time he's 30, he'll have pocketed $130 million playing ball, not to mention the endorsements.

He showed no fight, I mean no fight, against OKC. 7' 285 lbs going against a one-legged Kendrick Perkins and Perk knocking him off the block. No spirit. No animation. Zoned out sitting on the bench. And yes, Scola is dead-on. He's dumb as a box of rocks. He's a combination of Joe Barry Carroll, Benoit Benjamin, and Michael Olawakandi. He just doesn't care. Totally selfish person just playing for a check.

Nobody is going to be able to slap him around at this point. The only "slap" that will sting him is if NO NBA TEAM IS WILLING TO PAY HIM A CHECK! That's the only slap that will wake him out of the lethargy of mediocrity. And it won't happen because some stupid NBA team is going to "take a chance" that he fulfills his talent potential and pay him more big bucks.