1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Francis slow to accept change, still bitter about leaving Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm glad I posted this article. I'm glad I put all the :mad: and :rolleyes: in the article (everyone is entitled to their opinion).

I can't stand Francis w/ the Magic and his years being a Rocket. He couldn't lick the sneakers that Hakeem wore. Hakeem was a Rocket God and Francis was a peon. Hakeem is in a class where Francis has no chance in hell to be in.

Who's statue is going to be built outside the Toyota Center? Hakeem's (hopefully soon) and not that a$$hole, SF.

Hearing him whine that we traded him off, complaining about JVG and the offense, etc. shows we made the right move.

Good riddance.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Francis' critics tend to label him as immature.

It seems that nearly everytime I see him quoted, he lends credence to that criticism. I don't know how he REALLY is. I've never hung out with the guy. But his comments certainly come off that way.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well, I'm not one of his critics, but he is immature at times. He still seems like a decent guy in the end; obvously he is extremely loyal and puts his heart and soul into everything w/basketball (his team, teammates, etc,) which is why he tends to act so hurt when things like trades happen. That has its benefits and its drawbacks.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Francis' comments come off as immature, sure. But then didn't T-Mac admit to dogging it for the Magic last year? There's little one can do in sports less mature than giving less than your full effort. At least Francis plays hard no matter what.

I like both guys, btw. I like McGrady's game more, and think the trade was a good idea. But it's unfair to paint Steve Francis as immature without doing the same for McGrady.

5. MadMax

I agree.

Having said that...did the McGrady thing shock anyone? Haven't we all been saying that it's clear players aren't playing their hearts out all 82 games across the league every night for quite some time now? Having had season tickets on and off again, I know I have.

By the way...I don't think we necessarily got Francis' best effort every night, either, whether he cares to admit it or not. Put him on national TV, and he'd go crazy. Play a top-notch opponent and he was great. Play a meaningful game down the stretch against a lesser opponent...you didn't get that same play.

6. forebay

forebay Member

on first read

I thought JEFF is ex-posed

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yet it is easy tp place all the blame for previous years on Francis?

Rocket River

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Sure, you could say that about almost any player. There might be a few hustle-type role players who give 100% every night, but by and large guys "get up" for big games. Michael Jordan was the ultimate hard-work superstar, and yet was it any coincidence that his biggest moments were on the big stage? The double-nickle game on the Knicks during his first comeback, etc. I don't think Francis was more or less guilty than most players of doing that.

The difference between McGrady (and Vince Carter) and most is that they admitted to dogging it for an entire season. Tracy never brought it, the entire season, which is a big part of why a team that won 44 games the previous season won only 21 in 2003, despite essentially the same roster. McGrady complained in 03 about the officiating, about double-teams, about his supporting cast. In 02, btw, almost the exact Francis-Cuttino situation was duplicated when McGrady's best friend Mike Miller was traded away. McGrady pouted then, too.

9. MadMax

he didn't say that. he said he took some nights off.

if this guy didn't play hard all season and was still the scoring champ, we struck gold!!!

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Now its Okay to take plays off. Randy Moss needs to come to Houston.

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'd rather not have to see his ass that often.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He did say that's all he cared to accomplish last season because if he didn't win the scoring title his image would of taken a huge hit.

13. caphorns

caphorns Member

Steve just seems to me to be well intentioned, but delusional and generally disingenuous. He's definitely an extreme wuss who can't take criciticism at all. Instead of fessing up to the Super Bowl crap, he just goes on with more baloney. He had to leave here. He was the annointed "leader" of our team and a team that is lead by an immature delusional wuss is not a good thing. What I learned about Steve during his time here is that he will never grow up and become somebody that other players (and kids) will want to emulate and follow. He certainly should not be thought of in the same class as Olajowan. Not even close. So I undertand how people feel about him.

What Tracy did at Orlando was selfish and immature, but I think he gets that. Steve doesn't get it and never will. They are both young players, but I'd give Tracy a much better chance of growing up and taking a real leadership role on this team. Tracey is also BY FAR the more talented player.

14. NBAsticker

NBAsticker Member

Compared with TMAC, SF3 loves and protects his teammates.

How about TMAC? When Swift dunked over YAO, TMAC said that is the turncorner of game! On the other hand, when Amare dunked over YAO, what SF3 did for YAO is to push Amare! That is the big difference.

Up to now, I couldn't figure out who will lead this team.

15. acizlan

acizlan Member

Francis is the most talented athlete at PG, I dont really know if T-mac is the most talented SG......(Lebron james)

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Francis was and still is a cancer. For me, he ranks amongst the dumbest players to ever play in the NBA (dumb on ths court of play).

His Basketball IQ could not be higher than 16. Meanwhile an average NBA player's Basketball IQ is 77.

Good riddance to bad rubbish once again.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Do you really know what happened? It's just your opinion, unless you were in the meetings between him and JVG or in the actual place.

His jersey is a consistent high seller, and his All-Star game starts say that kids do want to emulate him. You will never hear a teammate say anything bad about Franchise. Do you think Yao had more fun with Franchise or Mac?

Noone is putting him in that class at all. Thats like saying a Volkswagen shouldn't be compared to a Mercedes, noone is trying to do that, but thanks for the info.

He's played basketball for how many years, and only now he understands that its immature and selfish to take off a season and desert his teammates? He knew exactly what he was doing, he said it, his mission last season was to win the scoring title so it wouldn't hurt his rep (and thus his dollars). It was a calculated move by Mac, there is nothing for him to get.

18. acizlan

acizlan Member

sure sure, since ROX's record is worse than magic
    I guess the avg IQ for rox players is somewhere around.....13.26

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

didn't you used to bash Steve all the time? was that you?

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I bashed Cat. I thought Steve wasn't a natural PG and wanted to see him move to SG, where I felt he would tear up the League. I might have criticized him, but he's been my favorite player since he first put on a Rox uni.