1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Dwight Howard: Starting Point Guard Decision "Doesn't Matter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 11, 2013.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Missed the post he was responding to, huh?

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

There is a diferance between hating and being realistic about his talent

3. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

He just didn't want to be there. When you don't want to be somewhere you'll find or make up reasons to leave to.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Lakers were a garbage team of has-been's with the worst possible head coach possible, it's not even remotely the same situation.

5. torocan

torocan Member

Saying "realistic" is often a euphemism for saying that you believe you are right and that others are not right. The ultimate question of course is how effectively you can defend your viewpoint in the face of empirical fact.

As for "hate", I think that's a word that people toss around a bit too lightly. I've met people that truly hate, that would literally watch another human being bleed to death in front of them rather than lift a finger to help.

Like, dislike, agree, disagree. Basketball is a ultimately just a game. Hating anyone, player or executive or fan over a game is both pointless and meaningless.

On that note, back to your regularly programmed arguments. :cool:

6. kcd

kcd Member

Would you be saying that if he put down Bev in response?

7. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Another steller worthless post by hikanoo, great job man you continue to be one of the most useless posters on this forum.

1 person likes this.
  8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Well I made the thread "statistically Lin and Beverley are the same player" to try and be as "realistic" about it as I could, but for some reason it got locked :/

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Its one aspect of it. Not being a liability on offense is the main thing.

10. KlutchQT

There are plenty of LOFs on this board who put Bev down in multiple threads, multiple times a day. 99.9% of the time, I skip right on over the posts. And since you're implying that I'd stick up for Bev and not for Lin, I'd invite you to search my posts and find the million times I've said that the antagonistic posts are pathetic in both directions -- both towards Lin, and towards Bev.

My point is that if you do choose to reprimand someone for "hating on their own player," why not reprimand both posters who did it?

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. kcd

kcd Member

Your response and others saying he's responding to someone who put down Dwight and that's why he said what he said. That's basically saying it was ok for him to respond as he did.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Keeping the defense honest is really just ensuring the opposing defender doesn't cheat right?

So for a example, there is a major difference between Kyle Korver and Lebron James in skill level, but defenders are unlikely to cheat off of either of these players to double team.

Using that comparison, Beverley, although not as good an all-around offensive player as Lin, has proven to be a good spot up shooter. So I think he is good enough to keep defenders honest as long as he makes open 3 point shots.

14. KlutchQT

Ah, I see. That's not at all what I was saying... maybe you should ask for clarification before jumping to conclusions. I was not saying that the Lin put-down was justified at all. I asked if he noticed the post that preceded it because I didn't understand how he could express disgust at one and not the other -- both were posters "hating" on their own player.

One thing you will NEVER see me doing, here or elsewhere, is insulting somebody on our roster or supporting someone else in doing it. I make no secret of the fact that Beverley is my favorite player, but I am a fan of the Rockets above anything else. If both Bev and Lin were traded tomorrow, I would still be a fan of the team.

I've said in multiple threads that I don't advocate trashing one player in an effort to lift up your favorite, and I stand by that. Hopefully that clears up the misunderstanding.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

He has shown flashes of competence in the spot up shooting. Its one of the parts of his offense that is actually serviceable imo.

Keeping the defense honest is not just about them not sagging off of you. Noone on the defense fears nor believes that patrick is going to do anything with the ball other than passing it to someone else. Any decent defense will cheat when patrick gets the ball. If we are going to try to run a high octane offense, playing 4-on-5 on offense just doesnt make sense.

16. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

the butthurt is strong in this one.

[​IMG]

17. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

I'm more concerned about 9 pts 3 Rebs & 5 fouls in 24 mins of play but you guys wanted him

18. kcd

kcd Member

Well, it seem like people could actually respond to that Lin put down instead of responding to the person actually defending Lin if they wanted to show that it was wrong on both sides.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If they do cheat off of Beverley to defend Howard, Howard would just kick it out to Beverley for the wide open 3.

Beverley shot 38% from distance last season, so I think he does a good enough job hitting open shots.

Of course it still remains to be seen whether Beverley at the starting lineup is a good idea, but I don't think Beverley has done anything that shows he will struggle in the first unit so far.

20. Fighton

Fighton Member

agree, but makes you think he's a lin fan? a dwight hater maybe but nothing in his response tells me he only cares about lin.