1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Don't expect any bold moves from Rockets/Monday Practice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Feb 19, 2008.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Mouthpiece Feigen in rare form as usual :rolleyes:

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Wrong answer. The Rocket's organization is just trying to soften the upcoming disappointment: needed improvements won't be made.

If they stand pat, they will fall flat.

3. Raven

Raven Member

These days, that's basically the entire sporting section.

4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Let's hope they can trade for a player born during the Nixon administration, too!!!

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A minor trade might happen, but am happy with the roster as it is built.

Team chemistry....

DD

6. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

That's true for all teams. If superstars go down, the team is doomed. The Rockets are no different.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

They need a second PG with some experience if there not going to play James and Morey knows it.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Translation:

Of course I'm working the phones but I don't want my guys freaking out, given that most trades discussed never happen.

9. rocketsfaninsa

What about trying to get Mike James and Head outta town...? Kyle Lowry has some potential, and I would def give up James in a second for even a hint of good play in Lowry.

10. managerrobert

managerrobert Rookie

this is so funny, nearly everyone doesnt want a trade...yet , the rockets will eventually go on a losing streak and everyone will be b****ing for a trade....you cant have it both ways...

11. managerrobert

managerrobert Rookie

will yo be seriously saying this if the team gets booted in the first round? dude, they dont have enough to compete with the elite why dont you get it? how many years of first round exits does it take?

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Les simply does not want to stay above and especially to far above the LT threshold. This strategy might work out if you have been making all the right moves like the Spers have for years, but not when you have a full decade of botched drafts and personell moves to make up for.

There are dozens of other (much more wealthy) persons out there who would LOVE to own an NBA franchise and especially the Rockets. Les should just sell the team and move on if he cannot afford the roster talent this team will need to ever be a true contender.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rockets are a poor shooting. Why would they want to make it worse?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I still think we'll make a move. Minor or an impact deal, I don't know, but I have a hunch we will.

(my hunches are usually wrong!)

15. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

No sane gm is going to want MJ. The most we can probably expect is to trade Snyder for a second round draft pick, most likely have to throw some money in with that deal just to get rid of him.

Will that get us under the LT threshold?

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's the annual "Don't expect any deals" article. It's an educational piece, trying to tell ticket buyers not to "expect" anything, that the team is really fine as is. It's usually said as "unlikely" (because let's be honest -- trades in general are "unlikely"). That way, if anything does happen, it's a bonus.

2007: Deal not likely for Rockets
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=124901

2005: Rockets most likely won't make any move before deadline
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=91697

2004: Rockets standing pat through end of season
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=73188

2003: With trading deadline near, it's unlikely big names will be dealt
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=51947

2002: Rockets likely to sit out big trade dance
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=29177

17. MONON

MONON Member

We aren't in a full blown "win now" mode like last year. We have a new coach, system and players that are starting to jel. I wouldn't trade Yoa, TMac, Scola, Landry or Brooks as they are our present and future stars. Major trades now are panic reactions to the Gasol, Shaq and Kidd trades. For these reasons, I think MEH is right on the money.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Monon, I personally think we are 100% in full blown win mode this season. I think if the rockets don't get past the 1st round this season we will see some massive changes on this team with potentially one of the two stars getting moved (ie.T-Mac). If there healthy going into the playoffs, it will be now or never. I still think the rockets need to make a move for a second PG or start to implement MJ back into the lineup. I don't want the rockets fate to be held in Rafer's hands, you know they will double off of Rafer with who ever they face in the playoffs and when that happens you have to make the opposing team pay. Rafer is just not a shooter period.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Amen, jump shooter. AMEN.

It's not Rafer's fault we're in this situation ... it's Mike James' fault. It's not like the Rockets aren't aware of Rafer's weaknesses -- they made three big additions in the offseason to mask it.

Brooks was supposed to be a future pick, and seems to have hit a rookie wall already. Francis was a bonus/flyer in my opinion, and that failed.

However, James was supposed to, at a minimum, give you 20-25 minutes. That's exactly how the season started out, with James and Rafer splitting time and Adelman going with the hotter hand. James was supposed to fill two primary needs: Point guard help and "scoring punch", as Daryl Morey called it. He has flopped on both accounts and shooting-wise has been nothing at all like he has been in his career.

All the other additions (Scola, Landry, Brooks and Bonzi) look like hits, but as a result of James' failure, we need a piece. Unless you feel that Brooks will step up and contribute significantly in the playoffs as a rookie, we should not go into the postseason with Rafer as our sole contributor at point. It's asking for problems.

20. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

You're right. The thing is very few point guards are great standstill shooters. Even some of the elite point guards shoot great off the drible but not so well when uncovered. Steve Nash and Deron Williams are the only consistent standstill shooting point guards in the league.