1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Deal not likely for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Feb 21, 2007.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4568604.html

Deal not likely for Rockets
    Dawson cautious about changing up a winning formula

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The quandary that Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson faces with Thursday's 2 p.m. trade deadline rapidly approaching is probably a good sign. But that, he said, makes his decisions more difficult.

The Rockets have done enough for there to be reason to seek a deal to help them move to the next echelon to contenders. But that success also gives them reason to be cautious with the roster.

With the stakes raised, so is the risk.

"I don't think you tinker with it," Dawson said. "You try to only mess with chemistry when you're pretty sure you added talent or a better fit.

"It's got to be a definite thing you see helps the overall team, that improves a certain position or solves a problem."

The Rockets are close enough to the top, but clearly enough removed, to seek a trade. But Dawson seems determined to follow the medical guideline "first, do no harm."

Even without a deal, the Rockets expect to get a crucial addition down the stretch with the return of Yao Ming. Coming out of the All-Star break with the league's fifth-best record, they are 14-6 when Tracy McGrady and Yao both play (after going 21-10 with both last season).

The Rockets are not looking for a center, anyway, making Yao's return almost irrelevant to the decision-making.

Coach Jeff Van Gundy said there was an addition he felt could complement the team, but he left it at that.

"Obviously, we're in fifth place," Van Gundy said. "You can't rest until you've won it. Dallas last year was in the Finals. They went out and added four new pieces. You have to keep searching until you feel you got it just right. But that doesn't mean every time you're going to decide change is the best way, either. Sometimes, not doing anything is the best move."

The Rockets' success without Yao has made the needs less pressing. But the Rockets have used Luther Head as the backup point guard with mixed results. It helps Van Gundy keep Head's shooting touch — his 44.3 percent 3-point shooting is the team's best — on the floor but has made Rafer Alston the only traditional point guard playing regularly.

The Rockets could seek a point guard addition but are unwilling to take on a contract that would exceed the role as Alston's backup. Any addition at power forward would have to be considered an upgrade, as opposed to just an addition.

Head and Bonzi Wells, with proven abilities to contribute off the bench and modest contracts, have been the most sought-after Rockets. But for the same reasons, the Rockets will be cautious about moving any players in the rotation.

Still, with the Mavericks and Suns clearly ahead of the rest of the Western Conference at the All-Star break, the trade deadline could be more than a last chance to make a key addition.

"If it's a guy that would come in and be a game-changer or a difference-maker, you go for it," Alston said.

If it is tinkering, however, Dawson said he would be very hesitant.

"There are ongoing talks," he said. "We're not close to anything. Probably nothing will happen. But you never give up trying."

---------------------------
    I personally think JVG is refering to either Mike James or Chucky Atkins. Personally I'd be happy with either, but from a standpoint of salary and chemistry, Atkins would seem to be the safer bet, while from a talent and skill standpoint, Mike James is the obvious choice.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

TNT said Minny is trying to move Mike James. Looks like we are not involved.

3. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Big disappointment. A solid PG could have made us elite.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Isn't it supposed to be the other way around whenever you have a really good team that's missing a piece or two? It almost makes it sound like they would condone the bold move in favor of a move that aims to solidy our bench or what not. Now, which scenario is more likely to happen?

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am not going to believe any of this until the clock strikes 12 noon (PST for me) on thursday. CD would never come out openly and say we're trying to trade XXXX for XXXX well all the gms are always saying they arent going to do anything foolish, well all except isiah, but you get the point

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'm incline to agree with you and personally believe CD is still trying to get a deal, though it is looking less and less likely any deal will get done.

I just hope the rockets can atleast get a trade for Atkins as the Rockets could really use another real point guard to take some of rafers minutes.

7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Why stress? Nobody has made a deal yet. Just relax. :D

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rocks know they need to improve depth at a couple of positions. They know their record against contenders are poor. I'm sure they're even worried about the Lakers getting Kidd now.

I don't see know why all that spin in the article was necessary. It read like a paid advert that ended with a contradiction.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Atkins would be a hell of a steal if Memphis would let him go for Sura's contract. I know his name has been floating around for some time now, but I hadn't bothered looking at him lately. I didn't realize he's shooting 39% from 3 and has a better than 3:1 assist to turnover ratio. That's extremely impressive to me.

However, bringing in Chucky could harm the chemistry. He's not far and away better than Rafer to the point that he would deserve the starting spot right away, but he's not clearly worse to the point that he would only deserve spot minutes either. That could be one of the chemistry issues CD seems worried about. How would the minutes get handled?

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'd go out on a limb and say Atkins is impossible to trade for. The Grizz won't want to add 1m in salary (next season) for an infirm player who won't contribute for the rest of the year or ever.

Lucas, Vspan, and Novak have no trade value.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't think that'd be a problem under JVG with his loyalty to his starters, ie guaranteed minutes and role. If attitude were to be a concern he'd just bar them from the TC.

12. bbjai

bbjai Member

Is Miller available? Would anything involving Sura help us get Miller? His not bad I think only owed 20 million for the next two years.

13. bbjai

bbjai Member

OK scrap that

the only trade I could get to work involved Sura, Bonzi and Mutombo, or Bonzi, Sura, Vspan, and Lucas. OR you can put in Synder. instead of Vspan.

Would anyone pull the trigger on getting Miller with these types of players? Bonzi Synder, Lucas for a 31 pass first point guard? Although I highly doubt philly would do this trade it would be quite interesting. I mean Rafer would be relegated to Bench PG. Heck the way I see it, Vspan can become our SG backup taking Synders role of slashing to the basket.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Doesn't every team deny intention to make a trade even if they are desperately trying to do so?

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope we will get some real help, standing pat would not be enough, I think.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...notes2107feb21,0,5201721.story?coll=orl-magic
    "At least one team offered the Magic a second-round pick for reserve PG Travis Diener, who has been getting the most interest before Thursday's trade deadline. The Magic aren't expected to make a deal for Diener or any of their players. General Manager Otis Smith said the teams interested in Diener want him as a third point guard. "I don't want him to be a third point guard somewhere else. He can be that here," Smith said."

It seems like this is one of those occassions where a GM does a player a favor by trading him to team that'll play him. Rockets need a second point guard. JLIII for Diener, get it done CD.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

CD would never show his hand. Mark Cuban or the like might step in and mess it up somehow.

There's a whole thread dedicated to the possibility of Mike James but, again, he does seem the logical target, depending on the TWolves' asking price (and how much of a head case MJ would be in being the second stringer).

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If they make a deal....that is ok, if they go with the team they have, that would be ok too.

Strap em on boys.....time to bring this horse into the corral.

DD

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

I hope this is just PR babble, because the Rockets do not have enough guard-wise to advance far in the playoffs. Percentages are against sterling guard play in the post-season. If you are inconsistent on a daily basis, it is unlikely that you get better in the playoffs. Every team we would face has superior guards (except TMac). The Rockets need a deal.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

All this article is really trying to say is you won't see crap deals like Bonzi for Flip Murray and Dale Davis. Those moves almost definitely don't help.....they might, but it isn't definitive.

It doesn't mean he won't look at adding solid pieces if they are clearly an upgrade and/or a good fit.