1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Deal gets Rockets' attention

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by soulsong999, Jan 1, 2004.

1. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut too then.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

Now even CD knows Rockets need a PG. When the trade happen? I think it is this week

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Not going to happen. I'd make a sig wager on it.

4. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

You are probably right. after looking at what Spoon can offer in more detail, i see him coming in with MoT, at the SF, to give a more muscle SF look while MoT brings a more O oriented 4. He could really firm up the SF rotation.

That said, bye bye Boki once AG comes back.... :eek:

5. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

how could there not be a deal coming eventually that will rock our socks off? its called the law of averages people. we have it coming. i mean half our team is trade fodder. might as well gyp somebody. CD is not the worst GM ever. just find a sucker. they exist quite plentifully in this league. just check anyone whos traded with dallas recently

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GATER,

Just curious, can this scenario happen.

Spoon + (part of the TE to match a player) for X Player.

Then a separate trade to the same team
    Rockets player + part of the TE for Y Player.

Two TOTALLY separate trades, BUT they BOTH happen to satisfy the needs and wants of both teams.

In other words, unbundling a trade that normally would have Spoon + Rockets player and TE for players X and Y. Does this get around the fact that in "theory" Spoon can't be traded with another player via doing two different trades to the same team?

I also feel that the Rockets won't make any BIG moves until the offseason. I really think JVG wants to give this team a full season to see how they improve under his system. As an example it might take a FULL season for Francis to come around. Why jump the gun and trade Francis when he hasn't gotten enough time on the team in JVG's system?

The only way I see a big Rockets trade before the deadline is if the team starts to really get on a long losing streak and players just aren't making plays.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Deuce,
    Coon doesn't address the TE in much meaningful detail. He's pretty basic.

A major part of my understanding comes from a thread where aelliott actually read the CBA to determine that a Jonathan Feigen article was incorrect in stating that (prior to being waived) Eddie Griffin + the TE could not be used to obtain a single player. Consequently, I am fairly certain the TE can be used in a 1 for 1 or 1 for many trade.

Without specifically reading the CBA, I am going to assume that the TE can be used in the manner you have described because the two trades are not simultaneous. I believe that the acid test would therefore be that each trade could be executed independently of each other.

IMHO.... TRADE ACCEPTED. :)

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It didn't work? How many losing seasons did it produce?

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think if we do better and win more games no one will be traded but if things continue to be bad then all bets are off.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Do yall think spoon is still a younger "poor man's" Barkley? ...as they speculated. I haven't followed this player. but he does seem to add some muscle and this is important to the style...

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Spoon's best years are way past him. He was a good player around 7 years ago.

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Give me a break.

2002-03 43 39 .524
    2001-02 28 54 .341
    2000-01 45 37 .549
    1999-00 34 48 .415

Totals: 150 178 .457

Rudy's approach worked when we had a team full of guys with the right attitude. We haven't had that for 4 years. We'd all love to get our guys to acquire the right attitude, or to replace them with guys who have the right attitude. But that's a tall order in today's NBA. The next alternative was to switch from Mr. Nice Guy to Mr. Do What I Tell You Or I'll Trade Your Ass.

13. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

Say hello to our New York Rockets!!! Or is it the Houston Knicks?!?

That said though, this was a good deal, IMO. Both Moochie and Meechie (imagine that, it's like Cheech and Chong, except they don't need herb to suck!) were deadweight, and if anyone was going to go, it would've been them.

I think they should've somehow packaged Charlie Ward into that deal, get rid of Boki or someone.