1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Damage to Rockets goes beyond wreckage of the trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Dec 11, 2011.

1. TheresTheDagger

Back to the article:

Not that he would do this, but I wonder if Les would have a good case if he wanted to sue the NBA for damages over this.

His franchise has absolutely sustained damage which means $$ out of his pocket directly because of Stern's ridiculous rescind of this trade and the conflict of interest he represents as the de facto owner of the Hornets AND the fact he is also commissioner.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Who cares how Martin FEELS? Just show up and play, like that bigass contract you signed says you're supposed to. Teams should worry about their franchise player having his feelings hurt, not about supporting guys like Martin. Grow a pair and deal with the fact that it's a BUSINESS, ya pansy.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and. . if he doesn't 'grow a pair' and plays half *ssed
    You will be pissed and he will say . . . Who cares about topfive's feelings?
    It's my life not his .. . . blah blah blah

They are emotionless robots
    and
    generally happy players play better

Rocket River

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Absolutely he should pay, but the organization should plan for the fact that it might have an adverse effect on how he plays etc.

It is not a vacuum, these players are human beings, while the mythos of loyalty is often shattered, most people still want to believe they are part of something like a team or organization.

Morey's rep around the league is not as a players GM....

The perception about the Rockets around the league is effected by all of this, ironically it probably would not be a big deal if the trade went through, but it will linger based upon the fact that it didn't.

Morey will need to do some damage control to the people he is responsible for managing.

And they might not give a **** for anything he says.....got to be ready for that.

DD

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are absolutely right.

No, in fact. David Kahn is absolutely right.

What Morey needs now is to install a new lounge, and have team breakfast.

6. DaDakota

River,

You are spot on, obviously you have some managerial experience...

:)

DD

7. Garner

Garner Member

Other than just speculating, how can you say that?

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You know it wouldn't be nearly as damaged if someone had just kept their mouth shut. If you let GM and owners do their work in private, this wouldn't be an issue. I can't imagine Fortune 500 companies tweeting the progress and specifics of a buyout as each minute goes by - even though it's more fun for the fans...except in this instance.

9. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Lol what scenario is this, how would this trade lead to us getting dwight? Howard will never come to the rockets be real

10. DaDakota

Powers of Deduction and reason !

DD

11. DaDakota

Totally agree, Twitter has really hurt the ability to keep some discussions private.

Something that Morey uses himself, but also bites him in the butt at times like these.

Just a lot tougher to do your job in today's instant info age.

DD

12. AXG

AXG Member

Kevin Martin to Minnesota for Michael Beasley, Anthony Randolph and 2nd round pick. Randolph and Beasley are expirings and sheds some salary.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I know the reality is that happy players play better. But come on, KM is a one-dimensional player whose new coach places a premium on the OTHER dimension: defense. You know, that thing that Martin has heard about but doesn't bother to play at all. Instead of being surprised by trade talk, he should have been expecting it.

And MY management style would be to give them an awesome working environment so that after the trade talk settles down, whoever is left will get back to work and soon be happy to still be around. You don't have to have group hugs.

Besides, let McHale have deep, meaningful discussions with these guys today. I want Morey at his desk doing his job.

14. AXG

AXG Member

My bad, wrong thread.

15. DaDakota

Having a middle manager tell you that everything is going to be fine is not the same as having the man come down, and in a man to man conversation explain things.

Morey should man up and let them know he likes them, but this is what New Orleans asked for.......and say that trade is dead, but he is still going to be looking to improve the team as that is his job.

It is nothing personal, just business - look them in the eye and be honest, they will be ok with that.

DD

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

"Oh hey, Kevin, I like you so much that I won't trade you for a top 15 player. Really. And ignore that part where I tried like hell to trade you for the last five days."

For cripes's sake, DD, how stupid do you think NBA players are?

17. DaDakota

I don't think they are stupid at all, I think some of them are sensitive, and would appreciate being treated like a man, and told what the org is thinking.

It is management 101....and RR is right, happy players play much better than disgruntled ones.

DD

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sure he should. Just like Martin should know that anyone other than a franchise player is likely to be traded at any moment to improve the team. And not be a whiny little b**** about it. Scola knows and accepts this.

19. DaDakota

No doubt, Morey should just reinforce that it is not personal. THat's all.

DD

20. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

So being a "Professional" means they're not human? The last time I checked, we all eat, sleep, and S***T the same. Feelings are feelings. Morey did his job, I agree, nothin' wrong. But damages have been done. Just look at LA and Odom's situation, he obviously wanted out. And that's playing for a championship caliber team. The media may try to spin things or club's trying to keep the truth on the DL, but as a fan, I'm human too. As Luis Scola say's, "im not stupid"