1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Could Daryl Morey finally pass at trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2018.

1. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

0% chance we get love. Getting Love would mean we will be out the Lebron James sweep stakes, and as the days go by it is becoming a bigger and bigger possibility. Lebron James will be a Houston Rocket and DM will not jeopardize that chance. We will have our chance with him this summer.

ANY OTHER YEAR, the Rockets would be all over LOVE and that would be a dream come true for this Rockets team, but we have bigger fish to fry, possibly a megaladon who is aka Lebron James.

As far as Mirortic goes, Rockets will have to shed a first and maybe younger players and tucker? Which i doubt also, as I do not see Anderson being moved (need salary to trade for Lebron). Sucks because he is who we need (reasonably) to make this run this year.

One of the main things people overlook is the fact that Rockets will be tax payers next year. I think the Rockets will try to stay away from the tax this year as being a repeater would cost the Rocket a very very hefty price.

BB

2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

You guys must be smoking something good if you think clevelands gonna trade us Kevin Love for Ryan Anderson & Pj Tucker.. LoL They would probably want Capela, Ariza, Gordon, 1st rounder to just start a conversation.

3. jayfree

jayfree Member

We couldn't trade Ryan Anderson to the Shandong Golden Stars for DMo right now

BigggReddd, s3ts and J.R. like this.
  4. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

So much for morey finally passing at the trade deadline ;)o_O

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Chicago is one of the few teams that could absorb Ryans contract in exchange for minimal contracts in return.

Something like this.......but requires picks.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybrwkxhc

Chicago has the least team payroll this season I believe.

I was thinking Suns this summer as they go from $91 mil to $78 mil this summer.

Edited: Chicago drops down to $67 mil this summer
    Or this Dallas deal.....but I doubt Cuban will deal with us.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yayh237f

#105 ApacheWarrior, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  6. Chamillionaire

I do think that getting another shooter will help us, but signing another rim protector like a Chandler, Bogut, Lopez would help us more.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ryno for Love is just about silly , especially if the endgame is Lebron in the offseason. Why the hell would they bring in Love now if those two cant get along ??

DonKnock likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets GM Daryl Morey remains cautious as trade deadline approaches

CLEVELAND – Having approached the trade deadline over the years from many different angles, from seeking reinforcements for good teams to clearing contracts in the hope of building better teams, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey might have never felt as he does four days before this season’s deadline.

Morey will still work the phones and no doubt has already. The odds remain against him reaching Thursday afternoon without agreeing to some sort of deal for the first time in 11 seasons as a general manager. But more than he ever has before, he not only likes the hand he is holding, his wish list – and he does have one – includes a desire to keep his rotation together.

That does not mean Morey won’t make a deal. But as the Rockets close in on the deadline, they consider the in-season free agent recruiting that could follow to be at least as likely to bring an addition as the usual trade market.

A month since Morey said he thought there was at least a chance that he would go without a deadline deal, Morey said he remains committed to the rotation the Rockets have used to build the second-best record in the NBA.

“It’s going to be hard to do anything,” Morey said. “When our guys are healthy, we have lost (once.) Obviously, my job is my job. I’m pretty cognizant I have something special right now.”

With that in mind, he also dismissed the possibility of a trade that could help clear cap space for next summer’s free agent shopping. Though Morey did not discuss specific players, Ryan Anderson is the second highest-paid Rockets player signed beyond this season after James Harden. (Chris Paul is in the last season of his deal.) Anderson is due to make $41.7 million in the next two seasons.

To sign a top free agent, the Rockets would either have to clear extensive cap room or work an opt-in and trade deal as they did with Paul. But Morey said his attention this week will remain on this season.

“We’re very focused on this year,” Morey said. “There’s very few times in anyone’s career you get as close as we are right now and we recognize that.”

Morey also does not seem likely to add the deal sweetener of a draft pick as he did at last season’s deadline to acquire Lou Williams and that he used again in the trade for Paul. Because of that trade, the Rockets do not have their 2018 first-round pick and NBA rules would prohibit them from dealing their 2019 pick this week. Barring a change they do not expect, the Rockets want to hold on to their 2020 pick, a person with knowledge of their thinking said.

Still, the Rockets’ recent wave of injuries reminded of the need they had not filled with a few two-way contract tryouts. The Rockets hope they can find just the right emergency backup guard, either at the deadline or more likely after, several individuals familiar with the Rockets’ plans said. That player, however, would have to fit not just as a guard that could fill-in at point guard if the Rockets find themselves shorthanded again, but that would be agreeable to being outside the rotation when the Rockets are at full strength.

That attitude is important enough to be more likely to be assessed with free agents than in trades. The Rockets have kept a roster spot open since releasing Bobby Brown – who could be brought back if an opening remains – to maintain room to move.

With two games remaining before the deadline after Saturday’s game against the Cavaliers, the potential distraction that comes with the annual mid-season uncertainty has not seemed to be an issue.

“We don’t address it,” Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni said. “There will be a lot of rumors, I’m sure. We have a lot of vets They know what the deal is. They just do their job. I’m sure people around the league are anxious. It’s just human nature. If we don’t talk about it, I’m sure they have people in their circle reading everything.”

D’Antoni said he does not discuss options or progress on any talks with Morey. He has often said he prefers to be kept in the dark so that he is not keeping something from his players.

“I let Daryl do it. It’s what he does. Like anybody, if you’re dead sure you’re making the team better, you do things. If you’re not dead sure or have any doubt, you don’t do it. It (a willingness to stand part and a reluctance to make a cap-oriented move) takes a lot of the guess out of it. I’m sure they’ll do their due diligence.

“I don’t answer my phone. I don’t get into it. I don’t talk to them. I just do my job.”

Morey and the Rockets front office will continue to theirs, but with different goals than they’ve had before.​

mikol13 likes this.