1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Could Daryl Morey finally pass at trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Love is a long shot but not a pipe dream
    The division in CavLand is falling squarely on his shoulders
    He maybe looking at the front door.

While it does not seem to be his nature. . . if he pitches a fit
    and push and shove. . .it becomes possible

He is under contact and has little power beyond public b*tching
    but . . .. one never knows

Anderson makes 20Mil
    Love makes 25 Mil
    We'd have to add someone to any trade these
    Tucker seems like the odd man out IMO
    or Black

Rocket River

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

In this scenario it should be Black but Cavs are going to want pick(s) too. Losing both Ryno and picks woukd take Houston out of LeBron sweepstakes next season.

Is Love worth that?

Rocket River likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not sure there is a trade to be made.

kwakmeister likes this.
  4. photojoe

photojoe Member

THE ROSTER CHANGE THAT MOVES THE NEEDLE IS ...... (drumroll)..... Mario Chalmers?!?

lol.. for real?

I wouldn't mind adding Chalmers if that's the only real option out there. As good as we have been this season, we do have several concerns- including keeping our players and keeping Paul and Harden rested and healthy for playoffs. Chalmers (or someone like him) could potentially help with that.

But saying that he is the guy that moves the needle is kind of a joke.

BigMaloe, DonKnock, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Alot of people saying Love for Ryno would be the big play, and while that sounds interesting, I have alot of doubts that is even a remote possibility.

Mainly because the Rockets just can't put together a package that will compete with what a team like Portland will put together. With Lillard showing signs of putting pressure on Blazers ownership to make moves to be a serious contender or he'll push his way out in a couple years, this would be big move I could see them doing. Unlike Houston they have all their first rounders available to trade, and they could easily package Turner/Davis which saves Cleveland more than 5 mil a year after this year in salary.

For a team likely to be rebooting after this year (or they should at least be preparing for a reboot) don't discount how unsavory Ryno's contract will be for them to take back even if he does alot of what Love does already for Cleveland but without the locker room drama.

D-rock and da_juice like this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kevin Love (was this mentioned somewhere?) hit the deck last night (well, he was on his back) near the basket. He reached up as a teammate was passing by; none of his teammates would help him up. There was some little team mishap with him (they think he was malingering during the prior game, pretending to be sick) and looks like they weren't quite over it.

I would love to upgrade our own glaring weakness, which is our frontcourt, but I don't see Kevin Love as being a "get". They'd want Capela. We'd be left with Tarik and Nene at center (some side deal notwithstanding). Don't see it.

D-rock likes this.
  7. dobro1229

I think Marks is pretty correct here that the most likely trade (if any) will be a deal like moving Wiliams/Onuaku for a backup point guard who can give CP3, Harden some rest in the late stretch of the season.

Find veteran guards on the last year of their small deals on teams that wont keep them beyond this year, give that team two young fringe players to take a look at who likely are going to be cut this Summer anyways because they can't make the rotation on your roster & don't have upside, and gain a player that can actually make a difference. Even if its a small difference, or buys you an edge for a few late season games.

Chalmers fits that mode as insignificant as that would seem on paper. Also, another player that would sound funny since its Dallas and we never deal with Dallas, is Devin Harris.

D-rock likes this.
  8. dobro1229

Yeah I've heard and seen the drama around Love in Cleveland. I think he's being scapegoated a bit there honestly. The problem lies at the feet of Lebron who has these leadership issues from time to time. He's a guy who is a reluctant leader, but in the end he has to realize that as long as he's the greatest player in the league, leadership has to come from him first.

Regardless.... I think Cleveland will still portray Love on the open market as a superstar type of asset. There's no way they are going to drop his market value that quick just because of this locker room drama. He's not even at Carmelo Anthony asset level yet. Maybe a year from now, but certainly Cleveland will not allow his portrayal to be perceived as such. Nor should they.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am not sure what Morey can do at the deadline right now that could add in a rotation player. Right now the only pieces that I would consider to be moveable are:

Anderson
    Green
    Black
    Nanu
    Zhou Qi
    Troy Williams

I really dont know if its worth trying to move the other rotation guys on the team considering the tremendous success the team has had when they've all been healthy and playing. I mean if a top 10-15 talent becomes available thats one thing but right now the Rockets are probably looking at a guy who would be a 8-9th type man in the rotation if we're talking about realistic moves. The buyout market is probably the most likely area where the Rockets will be able to add a vet. I think if anything maybe a small move to get a future pick or add some financial flexibility could be had, but I really do not think something semi-big will happen (such as trading away Battier, Rafer etc).

To me the best case scenario in the buyout market would be Tyson Chandler. He brings the same vertical game Capela does and provides a different type of interior presence off the bench when compared to Nene. Also with both Tyson and Nene being older being able to play them in limited but effective minutes will be huge. The added bonus is that he already has played with Paul and knows where to be with him on the pick and roll. I dont see the Suns buying him out though. There are the rumors of Frye being moved to the Kings and then being bought out. I think Frye is a still a good big off the bench but I've just never been a huge fan of him even going back to his arizona days.

Corrosion and Rashmon like this.
  10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

That is some dysfunction. I remember media used to say our chemistry wasn't there back in the day. This is a tight a unit as ever now.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

It has happened to him before too. Lebron just stares and walks by him in this one.

D-rock and s3ts like this.
  12. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

Ryno for Love swap is a pipe dream lol other than that not worth going for love if it included more players.

s3ts and Rocket River like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not at all
    Love is just fantasy . . .such a long shot but a shot
    While I doubt we stand pat. . . i don't see any major moves until the summer

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  14. Drogba

Drogba Member

I would take Marvin Williams.

15. cebu

cebu Member

Morey will shock the world again come deadline.

16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

We don't have to make the move, we hold bid side.

SIL

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maurey is an asset to himself.

18. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Generally good except not sure how he messed up that we had the third best record. We have the second best.

D-rock likes this.
  19. photojoe

photojoe Member

While I don't disagree that either this or signing a buyout veteran are the most likely moves, and while they could be good moves for us, it would be a stretch to call Mario Chalmers as us "moving the needle" any against GSW

D-rock likes this.
  20. dobro1229

As I mentioned, I believe a move like this would be about buying some time and insurance for CP3 and Harden towards the end of the season. Both guys might need to take a game or two off, or play less minutes.

Playoff seeding could be very important. In March and April, having Chalmers for a 4 to 6 game stretch where we have injuries could be a difference in us beating a Pelicans, Nuggets, or a hot shooting bad team in a late season regular game that is trying to steal a win from us on an off night.

Only thing that is going to "move the needle" between us, and GSW is going to be great defense (need everyone healthy), and great offensive chemistry between Harden & CP3 where they grow playing off of each other. Getting someone like Chalmers is just a way to essentially get them more rest at the end of the season, and not put us in a position to have to play someone like Bobby Brown assuming he's brought back or play Harden & CP3 when they shouldn't be playing hurt.