1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] conroy is the final cut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Oct 22, 2009.

1. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

This is disturbing.

2. tested911

tested911 Member

I totally agree 100% His court vision is above AB or Lowry. He is a true pass first PG.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Conroy wouldn't play at all and Pops has a decent shot at minutes with or without injuries. I don't think it was that hard of a decision.

4. GMNot

GMNot Member

given this statement from today's Chronicle article by Adelman...

... they were probably caught in deciding which hole was bigger (pun intended) and needed to be filled. I had hoped they would find a way to keep both, as it would have made the team better.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

..........that scored 26 a game in D-league and gets to the FT line more often than Lowry does. Geez, surely some of that will translate to the NBA?

6. worzel gummidge

Morey said he was good enough to be a third option PG in the league.

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Some of it translated for Chuck and Rafer.

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

You know your PG position isn't that deep when people are saying a DLeague - freshly cut NBA player has better PG attributes than your starting point... Yikes! John Wall come rescue us!

9. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

Lowry gets to the line at one of the highest rates in the NBA. I doubt Conroy gets to the line more often than him.

10. eman

eman Contributing Member

I suspect we'll regret cutting Conroy. Every time Aaron or Kyle get knocked down, I wait for them to bounce back up, or bite my lip until they drag themselves up... Fearless, aggressive, skilled point guards are precious commodities. I wish we'd kept Will. Maybe (I doubt) he'll be available for ten-day rentals; let's hope we wont need him.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Agreed, Lowry is one of the top players in the league at drawing fouls along with guys like Maggette and DWade. I didn't say Conroy would get to the line more often. I said Conroy draws contact and gets to the line often and he would get to the line almost as often as Lowry does while giving you much better shooting. When you look at Conroy's D-league numbers, he has the same nack for drawing fouls that Lowry does. However, he may not "look" for that play quite as much as Lowry does, preferring to go ahead and get the layup or assist, whereas Lowry looks for opponents in motion and hits them hard enough that him and the opponent with the basketball take a tumble and the official is forced to blow the whistle. Granted Conroy's numbers are D-league numbers but drawing fouls is a matter of getting the opponent to commit or finding the opponent in motion and creating the contact. We saw Conroy do that during preseason.

My point is........Lowry could be tradeable if Conroy goes to D-league and plays well. I don't necessarily want to trade Lowy because I love that kid but if Lowry plays well he could become a sought after commodity that could be used to help us acquire an Amare or Bosh. Or...........perhaps............we have to give up Brooks in a package to obtain a true superstar??? We would be able to consider that........if Conroy is down in D-league shining away again.

I like both of our point guards but I would still consider upgrades at that position or the 4/5 position. For instance, if we could trade Lowry New Orleans along with Landry, Shane, and a first rounder for CP3, I would do that. Or if we could trade one of our points and other assets to Washington for Gilbert, I would have to consider that. I would be willing to give up one of our point guards in the right trade for a superstar and Conroy would be a good fit to bring back and be a backup for us then.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

:confused: The deepest position we have are at the 2 and 3
    McGrady is coming back

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually he said 3rd option or backup PG in the league.

DD