1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] conroy is the final cut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Gonna miss Conroy. I'd probably rather have him than Aaron. Glad to have Pops however.

2. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I don't know if it is really that simple. There is no telling if Conroy will agree to sign with the Vipers. As a previous poster has mentioned, Europe is a very viable option for Mid-Tier NBA players these days.

As much as I would like to see Conroy in the Vipers, it is his choice, not morey's.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Conroy is a mid-tier player? He was cut by the Clippers, Grizz, and the Bobcats. He's not exactly the most sought after free agent on the market.

Can't believe some of you are getting all in a tizzy about a journeyman PG getting cut.

4. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

LOL, you crack me up rook.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

This forum is absurd at times.

With all the holes on this roster, I can't believe anybody is even blinking about losing Conroy. There is one ultimate goal in this league from a fan's perspective: to win a championship. It should be obvious that Conroy would not have put us over the top this season or anytime in the future. You can find a Conroy whenever you need one.

6. ABZERO

ABZERO Member

That would be a GREAT move to cut Aaron in order to bring in the best point guard in the D-League - Will Conroy. Oh, wait...Aaron has a guaranteed contract.Your move will ensure that we will have to very nice shot to land John Wall next year.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The same could of been said about Wafer before last year. He was bounced around, nobody wanted him. Its all about the system, and the coach playing to people's strengths.

We are clearly going to be a running team, and Pops is one of the fastest bigs to get down the court. He got like 3 straight dunks on fast breaks in a row vs the Thunder. He fits here, he picked up the system quick, and can offer up alot to this team this year.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

After joining the Rockets, they still couldn't trade Wafer. At the end of the season, Wafer still couldn't find another NBA team that wanted him.

9. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Are you kidding me?

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I think the next PG the Rockets will acquire will be through the draft. And it will not be a third-tier kind of PG..

11. BetterThanEver

If there is an injury, I don't think the Rockets can sign another PG. Even though Yao Ming is out for the whole season, he still counts against the roster size. They are counting on a backup PG who has missed over 70 games due to a wrist injury in the NBA and missed 6 weeks in the NCAA due to a ACL tear.

It's all good. That's not going to change. If Lowry goes down, T-Mac can be point guard. When T-Mac's ankles fail him again, it's ok.

It will all work out in the end, because they will end up with a higher draft position and a better chance at getting a franchise player. Then, we don't have to worry about Morey trying to trade up to beat Portland to his top draft pick.

12. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

Doesnt anyone see the reason why they have so many bigs......RA is stacking up FOULS that can be used every game since we are so short...duh.. :D

13. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

If one of our PG's gets injured, then you cut/trade Dorsey or trade Cook for a PG or picks, and sign Conroy. No point in waiting for Dorsey to get it, just pay him is guaranteed money and open up a roster spot.

When has Tmac's ankles failed him? It was always his back or knees. Either way, he wouldn't be able to handle the point full time anyway.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Will Conroy could make Lowry expendable at the trade deadline.

15. BetterThanEver

I haven't had my coffee, yet. :) I know he had knee surgery.

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

finally. someone on this board who feels the same way i feel. conroy would have had little to z-ro playing time if he made the team.

17. BetterThanEver

Yep, we need 4 third string PF/C instead of 1 third string PG. :rolleyes:

18. tomjc

tomjc Member

i must have a lot of sway with the rockets ;) , called this a year ago when everyone here labeled him a bust

19. BetterThanEver

The league is on notice. :D
    Adelman has 7 healthy PF/C.
    He will take Hack-A-Shaq to a whole new level with 42 personal fouls.

Adelman: COOK! POPS! DORSEY! ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK! GET HIM! GET HIM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Huh? Whoever said cut Aaron?

I said that I would probably rather have Conroy than Aaron - I never said anything about "cutting" Aaron. I just prefer a PG that is multi-dimensional rather than an Allen Iverson type of PG.

I would have liked to have cut Dorsey in order to have kept both Conroy and Pops. I think Conroy would have performed well in Aldeman's system.

Morey himself hinted on more than one occasion that the decision would come down to position and not player.

(Morey) "It (the choice) might end up being a little more position than player,” Morey said. “That might feel unfair to some of the players, but it may come down to what position coach feels like we need to have the most depth.”

Thus, both Morey and Aldeman recognized Conroy's potential value, but chose to fulfill a greater need.

Even considering Conroy's limited playing time, it's apparent that he's more of a "pure" PG than Brooks or possibly even Lowry. A PG with vision and play-making ability (+ D) completely changes the game.

That said, I like Aaron and I wish both him and the Rockets well this season. Go Rockets!