1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] conroy is the final cut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

This is a big gamble by DM. If either Brooks or Lowry get injured, the Rox will have to cut or trade Dorsey or Cook just to be able to pick up Conroy (if he is available) or any other replacement point guard. I hope DM has something up his sleeve, because the roster is very unbalanced.

No major problem with the move from a talent standpoint.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd now keep Barry and get rid of Taylor.

3. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I have seen many times that, if we send somebody to the D league, they still take up a roster spot. What I don't understand is, why don't the other players on the NBDL team take up NBA roster spots? I guess the answer is that we could cut the player, then put them on the NBDL team, though they could then be signed by another NBA team.

I.e., we can send them to the NBDL, they just aren't protected.

Right?

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Or he could just do what the original option was and cut Pops for Conroy. But for now, no one is injured, and there really isn't any playing time for either Conroy or Pops. But if you ask which position is more likely to get into the kind of foul trouble that would mandate using the last guy on the bench, then big man has to be the way you go.

5. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I would imagine he'll be re signed soon somehow.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

:confused: Why keep an aging veteran and drop a rookie on a young team? :confused:

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I have a feeling the Rox could be trying to get a deal done surrounding a package of McGrady+Landry..

8. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Why do you say that?

9. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Tracy won't be activated untill December and my best bet is a few games before December 15th. It's impossible, but it won't be any time soon.

I have the strange feeling however, that his presence could hurt the team more then he helps it.

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That could be a blessing in disguise. If the Rockets move up enough in the draft to get Morey's target player instead if trying to trade up like Brandon Roy.

11. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

If true however, Chicago is where my money is put.

12. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

My guess is that he means to use Barry's ballhandling skills. That's the primary reason we brought him here in the first place, right? And with McGrady sidelined, it would make sense to have a third guy able to man the point if necessary.

I don't think I'd do it, to keep Barry and cut Jermaine. But I think the suggestion is worthy of consideration. :)

13. worzel gummidge

...or Pops simply has been the best out of the non-guaranteed players. Also Luis is carrying an ankle problem.

14. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Barry is already working for NBA TV. He has no intention of playing, anywhere, ever again.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pops is at a position of need, brings athleticism, and outplayed all his competitors. He might even make the roster next year when the talent is going to be increased dramatically across the board. I like his attitude.

Congrats Pops!

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

So, moving on, with our roster set, and from what I've seen of how the guys play together, I'd start Aaron, Shane, Trevor, Luis, and David; then platoon-substitute Kyle, Jermaine, Chase, Carl, and Chuck. Our second unit might be better than our first unit. Might be nice to reverse the platoon order in back-to-backs. Might be smart to get the guys to buy into a "we have ten starters" concept. One for all, and all for one, and all like that. I'd get Pops minutes with both platoons, especially when Chase is on the floor, and mix-and-match, of course-- but those are eleven rotation guys who can run. And I do hope they run.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, pops. We desperately needed a shot blocker.

19. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

...until that McGrady feller comes back...

20. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I don't think that's possible...
    We're gonna have to rotate players in and out to create/avoid mismatches.
    Because then teams would just prepare around our "platoon" lineups.