1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Commitment to Biggio has more than been met

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bigboymumu, Aug 27, 2004.

1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Jose De Jesus Ortiz

At last count, $71,553,000 buys a lot of enchiladas and a lot of brisket. And $71,553,000 is a nice way to say thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Nonetheless, $71,553,000 doesn't buy you a championship. Heck, if you break it down, it has bought the Astros seven hits from Craig Biggio in the postseason. That's a bargain price of $10,221,857 per hit over 14 games and 54 at-bats.

Call me a management stooge if you want, but it's silly to say Drayton McLane owes it to Biggio to bring back the veteran next year.

If Biggio meets all his incentives this year, he will have earned $71,553,000 from the Astros since 1989, his first full season in the majors. If for some reason Biggio is hurt and cannot meet his remaining incentives for plate appearances, the number drops by $250,000.

Whatever the case, even Biggio knows he is not owed anything by the Astros.

If the Astros had an honest dialogue, Biggio would learn that some pitchers hate having him in left field and really hated having him in center.

All of the Astros are disappointed by the way this season has gone, so it's easy for players to start pointing fingers or showing their frustration. Jeff Bagwell was man enough to state his opinion Sunday when he said he would have tossed Roy Oswalt for hitting Cubs catcher Michael Barrett. Oswalt matched him by not backing down.

No matter what team it is, hitters and pitchers always will see things differently. Biggio may have the most seniority in franchise history, but Bagwell is the one everybody listens to.

For that reason, it was Bagwell's obligation to tell Biggio that he needed to work harder taking fly balls in left field.

One vote for departure
    McLane and his baseball advisers face a big decision this offseason in regard to the $3 million club option they hold on Biggio's contract for 2005, which carries $1.5 million in incentives.

Make me McLane's general manager for a day, and I'd let Biggio walk.

The Astros also should have a long talk with Bagwell about his ailing right shoulder. They should read the fine print of the insurance policy they hold on Bagwell's huge contract and wonder if there's a way the policy can be picked up if Bagwell retires after this season.

For tax purposes, Bagwell's salary this year is $14,890,248. He would be the first to say the Astros have not received their money's worth. He is owed $39 million over the remaining part of his contract; $15 million next season, $17 million in 2006 and a $7 million buyout if the $18 million option for 2007 isn't exercised.

Bagwell is truly one of the classiest players in baseball. If there's a jersey of an Astros player you can proudly let your child wear, it is No. 5.

But it's time.

It's time for a change in leadership. The money the Astros save by buying out Biggio's option for 2005 can be spent on fortifying the bullpen. Oswalt once said that having Carlos Beltran in center field would help the Astros save up to 10 runs per week.

That is how great Beltran is.

The Astros' top priority should be to sign Beltran. The second priority should be to lock up Lance Berkman and Oswalt to long-term deals. They are the future.

Pursue 3,000 elsewhere
    Biggio, who turns 39 in December, is less than 400 hits from 3,000. He probably would need three more seasons to accomplish that feat, and the Astros must decide if having him chase 3,000 hits is worth not having a championship-caliber defense.

If the team's overall defense was better, you could hide Biggio's defensive shortcomings for a year. But what happens if he stumbles next season or needs to play five years to reach 3,000?

He wouldn't be the first player to hang around too long for personal milestones over a franchise's best interests. Nobody should blame Biggio for wanting 3,000 hits, and he should be applauded for his chase — somewhere else.

The day Bagwell's assessment of Oswalt's actions ran in the paper, it made sense to do some research on some important numbers.

As of Monday, Bagwell had come to the plate with 170 runners in scoring position, driving in 31 of them. Biggio had come to the plate with 130 RISP, driving in 22.

In those situations, Bagwell's batting average was .286, Biggio's .213.

From July 1 to Monday, Biggio hit .103 with RISP, driving in four of the 39 men in scoring position.

Say what you want about the bullpen, which has accepted responsibility for its failures, but the guys earning the most money have failed this year on offense.

It's time for a change, and Biggio already has $71,553,000 worth of gratitude from the Astros.

I agree with Ortiz. It's time to change the face of this team.

We have an insurance policy on Bags? I thought we didn't.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

I read this this morning.

Im on the fence about this. I don't think Bidge's ego would let him be a reserve, but it would sure be nice him being a super sub/first pinch hitter of the bench for us. He could fill in at the outfield spots, 2B, 1B and catcher. Should be able to get 300 ABs easy that way.

Anyway, I don't think we should totally cut ties with him. Hes had a good year offensively and he can still hold some value for us. Maybe just not as a full time starter.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Can anybody say, Nolan Ryan. The dude is on his way to the HOF. Let him play out his career marks here. Otherwise regret it later. This is one of the rare occasions were the player is more important than the championship.

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I disagree.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Earl Campbell, Hakeem Olajuwon. Great players often switch teams at the end of their careers.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know what he's going to cost us, frankly.

I'm assuming we can keep him around for about $2-4 million per season. If he hits again like he did this season, there's value in that, for sure. Obviously, if he's demanding $6 mill per year, you cut ties. But otherwise, I don't see what you'd be giving up by keeping him around.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The money the Astros save by buying out Biggio's option for 2005 can be spent on fortifying the bullpen.

Bullpen is not the problem. Offense is and Biggio is one of our best hitters. The starting Astro second baseman next year will likely be Biggio.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A great article and right on the money.

They are holding the team back.

They need to leave and let other leaders emerge....

They were both wonderful players but now it is time for a new direction.

The pitchers deserve better defense and offense than either one of them can deliver now.

Let Biggio Walk, retire bags and move on...

Pat them on the back......and say thank you, but go a different direction.

DD

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I believe the Astros have an conrtact option on Biggio for one more year (and then his contract is up).

10. DaDakota

Because just like Francis had to leave for Yao to emerge, Bags and Biggio have to go for the next generation of leaders to step up.

As long as they are in the clubhouse it will be dominated by them.....

Time to see if Berkman or Beltran can lead.

DD

11. MadMax

what leaders?? who else??? the astros do not have a ton of young position players ready to step up.

i'm all for a youth movement...but you're not going to have a young stud at EVERY position...not with what our farm system has to offer.

you're making a huge assumption about beltran coming back. frankly, i don't see that happening...and i don't think keeping biggio around is going to affect beltran one way or the other. he's certainly not going to keep beltran out of the lineup. berkman has been a team leader for a couple of years now.

12. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Again, I have to disagree. I agree with what Codell mentioned earlier. Biggio in a reserve or utility role would be great. But, I don't think Biggio will agree to that nor should he if he can go somewhere else and play everyday.

13. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

I just don't see who is going to take Biggio's spot in the line up. Everrett? He is still a very solid player. If we let him go at least trade him for someone that can help the team not hurt us by saving us money. We have money to keep him and sign Beltran and keep Bagwell. The organization makes you people believe we need to save money in this place or that when we really don't. If we make better decisions we win ball games. We just let our bullpen go to crap this year. We decided to hope that Ensberg had the same type of season. And well lets just say we all knew that Brad Ausmus was going no where when they started mentioning him catching for Pettite and Clemens. We knew Bagwell's shoulder was busted. No one prepared for this and they should have.

14. DaDakota

Max,

Beltran may not come back...I am only pointing out potential leaders.

It could be Roy O who leads.....

My point is that until the old Silver backs leave the pack, no one else will be able to step up.

Roy O could have blasted Bagwell for the petty thing he did in calling him out in the papers.

Roy could have pointed out that Bags can't throw a baseball 40 ft and is less than adequate as a major league hitter now.

He didn't, he took the high road...good for him.

BUT, Bags and Biggio have to be put to pasture to let other leaders emerge, because one thing that B&B have proven is that they can not get it done.

DD

15. MadMax

again..i think you're overstating what biggio's role on the team is at this point. he's not nearly as vocal as he was before. berkman is usually the talker of the bunch.

i don't think craig biggio at a minimum dollar contract keeps young guys from developing. i don't think he's hindered roy o, at all. i don't think he's held back lance berkman. nor do i think he's holding back carlos beltran.

16. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Have you looked at the bullpen lately???

17. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Miceli, Weathers, Bullinger, Gallo, Harville??? The bullpen is a major problem. The starting 2nd baseman next year will be Chris Burke

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The bullpen is a problem, but it is also the easiest problem in MLB to fix. (provided you intend to spend some $$$ to improve it).

Offense and starting pitching, on the other hand, are the hardest things to just go out there and "improve".... you can have the perfect lineup and rotation on paper, and things may just not work out.

19. MadMax

improving the bullpen, to me, i like playing the lottery. you're dealing primarily with pitchers who aren't good enough to be either starters, closers or set-up men. they rarely have years of success consecutively in middle relief.

so you go out and acquire a guy who you think will lock folks down...but turns out, this isn't his year...because for middle relievers, most years aren't their year.

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Biggio can become the Bill Spiers of this team easily.