1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] Texans' Daniels considered skipping offseason program

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rookie34, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Texans' Daniels considered skipping offseason program
    By JOHN MCCLAIN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    April 7, 2009, 7:36PM

Texans Pro Bowl tight end Owen Daniels admitted Tuesday that he considered joining cornerback Dunta Robinson and middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans in skipping the offseason program because of his contract situation.

Robinson and Ryans turned down multi-year deals and will be working out on their own during non-mandatory drills. No one is certain when they’ll report. Their absence was a key topic of conversation during the second day of the team’s conditioning program at Methodist Training Center.

Daniels, who caught a career-high 70 passes for 862 yards (12.3-yard average per catch) in his third season, gave some thought to not participating in the program but decided against it.

"Well, I’d be lying if I said it hadn’t crossed my mind, but I think this is the best way to go,” Daniels said.

Because Daniels was a third-year restricted free agent, the Texans tendered him at the maximum, guaranteeing him a one-year deal worth $2.79 million. If he signed an offer sheet with another team, he would cost them first- and third-round picks if the Texans didn’t match.

Daniels is hoping his agents, Alan Herman and Dave Butz Jr., can work out a long-term deal with general manager Rick Smith.

"I’d be a little upset,” Daniels said about the possibility of playing under the one-year deal. “I think I’ve earned more than a one-year (contract).

“I see myself being here for a long time. I don’t want to be anywhere else, but every player wants security.”

Tampa Bay signed tight end Kellen Winslow Jr., to the most prolific deal for a player at his position – a six-year deal worth $36.1 million, including $20.1 million in guaranteed salary.

"That’s great for him,” Daniels said. “I’m happy for him. I don’t think it hurt my situation."

"I’m confident something will be worked out. I hope it happens sooner rather than later. I’ll be a lot more comfortable – and happy, of course -- if it gets done.”

Robinson, who was designated as the Texans' franchise player, will receive a one-year contract for $9.957 million when he signs. Ryans is under contract and scheduled to make $1.39 million this year.

If the owners and NFL Players Association fail to work out a new collective bargaining agreement, 2010 will be an uncapped year, and free agency will increase from four to six years.

That means Daniels and Ryans wouldn’t be unrestricted. Robinson would qualify as a six-year veteran, but the Texans could franchise him again. Also, teams will get to protect two players because a transition tag will be added to the franchise designation.

Meanwhile, the Texans surveyed Tuesday said they missed Robinson and Ryans but understood their situations.

"Those are some of the things that happen this time of the (year),” Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson said. “Those guys will be fine.

"I’m pretty sure they’ll be here with us during regular season. I’m pretty sure that wherever they are, they’re going to be working out and getting ready for the season.”

Defensive end Mario Williams, the Texans’ third Pro Bowl player, was philosophical about Robinson and Ryans not participating in the program.

"It’s business,” Williams said. “It’s hard (not having them) because they’re captains of the team. But sometimes you have to take care of things. I wish them the very best, and I look forward to them coming back."

Also on Tuesday, the Texans re-signed offensive tackle Rashad Butler to a one-year contract and signed free-agent middle linebacker Buster Davis to a one-year deal.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6363544.html

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Smith has his work cut out for him.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yeah, it sucks that Dunta didn't take the deal that was on the table for him before he was franchised. I have a feeling one of Dunta/DeMeco/OD will be gone, and Dunta is the most questionable and will demand the most money based on his position. As important as all three of those guys are, you just can't afford to tie up money and stay successful.

I hope it works out, but if we end up with a CB in the first round, the writing might be on the wall for Dunta.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Trade him for Matt Cassell immediately.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If O.D. has another season like he did in 08 you can bet he will want more than the 36 mil Winslow received.

6. gucci888

If that's the case, I'd let him walk. But I don't think he'll be asking to be the highest paid TE in NFL history.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

DeMeco Ryans has imo regressed for two straight seasons, and I think is so highly regarded based on his play his rookie year. He should be working on his tackling and not worried so much about the contract. Again, imo.

And O.D. is a good receiving tight end, but he's not worth 36 mil.

8. DieHard Rocket

I don't know if I'd say he's regressed. Maybe he hasn't progressed much, but he hasn't regressed. Two years ago he was hurt for half of the season and playing on a bad knee when he should've sat out. I think it was still bothering him at the beginning of last year, then he finally came around. Remember, Zac Diles led the team in tackles until he got hurt, taking a lot of them away from DeMeco.

It's really tough to tell in the NFL how effective a guy is based on stats, especially defensively. You'd have to look at game-film from last year to really tell how he looked.

I agree on not over-paying OD. He's good, but he's also a product to a certain degree of a proficient offense and defenses keying on Andre Johnson. Funny how his numbers exploded the year we had a good running game and Andre has a phenomenal year.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Another year like 08? If thats the case, then about 4-5 tight ends should be higher paid than him.

No way he deserves the most money out of all the tight ends.

I think a 5 year, 22.5 million dollar deal with ~12 million in guarantees is fair.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Well, I watched most of the games last season and I wasn't that impressed with his work. And I'm not sure how he loses tackles to Zac Diles - either he's there to make the play or he's not.

I think the MLB has a primary run-stopping responsibility, along with the DTs. And the Texans were 23rd in the league last season in preventing rushing yards, 24th in terms of yards per rush. They were just a bad run-stopping team, and that falls in part on the MLB.

I'm not saying that Ryans is bad, certainly there are other factors at work. But I don't think he's played at an elite level the last 2 years.

11. gucci888

Being #23 in rush defense falls on the entire defense, not just the MLB. I know you said "in part," but when your DTs are getting absolutely blown up, it frees up the blockers to take out your LBs. Our defense as a whole was pretty bad, but I think a lot of it had to do with a horrible scheme.

Also, I don't see how losing tackles to Diles is a bad thing. Diles played very well last season before getting hurt and I'm hoping the tackle numbers are spread across the board between Diles/DeMeco/June, that just means we're getting good production out of LB core rather than just one guy.

12. DieHard Rocket

That's what I'm saying though, it's not always easy to tell how effective a defensive player is without actual game film. I watched all the games too...TV doesn't show what every player is doing on every play.

He lost tackles to Diles because Diles was on the strong side, and he moves very well laterally. He was making tackles on the strong side of the field that DeMeco used to make. That has nothing to do with DeMeco's ability.

I think the run-stopping has a lot more to do with our DT's than LB's. I will agree that DeMeco hasn't been quite the player the last 1.5 years as he was the first 1.5 years, and there are a lot of factors that go into that, but I just wouldn't say he has regressed.

13. Summer Song Giver

I'd like to have atleast ONE winning season before all these guys start pulling this crap, is that so out of line, what's with this sense of entitlement already?

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I dont think any TE is worth 36mil Im saying if he catches 75+ balls and close to 1,000yds receiving he will want to be one of the highest paid in the game.Im pretty sure he feels he is better than Winslow already.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Owen Daniels is a good tight end, but he is expendable/replaceable IMO.

Dunta, well, I already voiced my opinion on him. The Texans made him a generous offer and he balked at it. He rightfully got tagged as a result. Lesson learned.

And Demeco, I think, was the beneficiary of being on a god awful Texans defense in 06-07. He was basically the only guy we had that could tackle, so naturally he got almost ALL of them. Our DL was swiss cheese then, and our LBs were scrubs... now we actually have some players instead of an entire defense of walking stiffs so Demeco isn't getting in on every play.

16. Kate81

Kate81 Member

My thoughts exactly.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It has nothing to do with a sense of entitlement. NFL contracts are not guaranteed, so players really have to look out for themselves. It's a business, like management always likes to say.