1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] Rockets move step closer to retaining Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

NOT! The Rockets will not use the LLE on Landry. The LLE or Bi-Annual exception is worth 1.91 mil the first year but can only be for a max 2 year contract. If we sign Landry to a 2 year deal I believe we will be in the same boat in 2 years from now with him. We still won't have Landry's bird rights. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

So no matter what the Rockets offer Landry they are sure to give him part of the MLE. I also believe the Rockets have every intention of giving Dorsey part of the MLE just like they did Novak and Spanoulis previously. This allows the Rockets to sign him for 3 years or longer and retain his bird rights. Morey talked about possibly signing a veteran for the LLE which is better than vet minimum salary. So don't expect Artest for the MLE. It's doubtful he would ever accept it but it's also very doubtful the Rockets would ever offer it.

I think Landry signs a 3 year deal worth close to 10 mil. If you look at what Varejao (3 year $17 Mil) and Amir Johnson (3 year $12 Mil) got last summer that should give you an idea of what Landry wants. Luckily for the Rockets Landry had a knee injury last season. The Rockets will use that to explain why he doesn't deserve that kind of money. They may get away with a 3 YR 10 mil deal but don't expect Landry to accept it any time soon. I am sure Landry's agent will be doing his best to get an offer from another team forcing the Rockets to match. So they will be in no hurry to accept any low balling offer from the Rockets.

At least half of the Rockets MLE will be tied in Landry and Dorsey and we won't have money for any 1st tier UFA's. The Rockets will have to wait till all the top guys are picked up and then see what players are left that might want and that might be getting desperate to sign for the LLE or half the MLE.

EDIT: Okay I corrected myself... after reading the CBA further it states...

25. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?

Theoretically, a player with Bird rights can be traded at the trade deadline right before becoming a free agent and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. There is no specific tenure requirement with one team. The only rule is that the player can't have been waived or changed teams as a free agent for three seasons. However, if a team renounces a player (see question number 33), they can't use the Bird exception to re-sign him for one year.

Which means is Landry where to accept the LLE for 2 years at the end of his contract he would have 3 seasons with the Rockets and we would own his bird rights. I still doubt his agent would accept the LLE. If I were the Rockets I would offer Landry a fair deal right away. But offer it in a way that says look we want you and this is a more than fair offer. We want you to accept it but if you don't then it is off the table and the next offer will be lower. Propose it as a deal or no deal. Meaning he can wait to see if some better offers are out there but it's at his own risk. Last Amir signed on July 12 and Varejao signed in mid February. Varejao almost lost a year of pay. Is that a risk that Landry wants to take.

#101 Old Man Rock, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Technically, the Rockets can just offer something and let him twist in the wind until he signs it.

But, they did that last year, and I would think that this year they want to reward him for his efforts and make him a happy player going forward.

Maybe a 3 year 10 million dollar Scola type of deal.

DD

3. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

from what I know about Landry's knee . . . it should be fine long-term IF Landry is committed to maintaining its strength. kind of like a permanent rehab deal, for the rest of his career.

it will never "heal" in the traditional sense of the word, but if he maintains it, it shouldnt be a hindrance to his game either.

makes his contract situation pretty tough to figure out. if you give him a big contract and he loses motivation, he may not keep up with the knee and get re-injured. if you give him a smaller contract to keep him motivated, you may risk losing him.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What are we going to do if some team offers him the MLE?

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

the bottom line is: DO WE HAVE TO HAVE HIM?

let's look at what he did most damages when he was on the court. they were under basket. scola has more tricks than landry. if what landry does best is under basket, i have no doubt dorsey can do it even better except ft.

to fans, landry dunks and pulling offense rbs made them crazy. believe me, dorsey will do better if dorsey can pull his head and body together.

6. DaDakota

Dorsey can not hit free throws, has no jumper, and is an unproven rookie, Landry did it against NBA competition.

I think we have to have him.

DD

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

7 days to match the offer. 7 days to find to S&T partner.

The other team needs the right contracts to match his BYC deal.

The only teams with a large enough TE are the Bulls and Warriors. Making a sole trade this way the best outcome is a second round pick. Rockets would want a concurrent deal to get something substantial back.

Or they simply match and keep him.

8. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

agreed. landry as an asset is more valuable to the rockets if resigned at a reasonable rate and moved at the trade deadline than he is if unsigned and moved in the offseason.

the nba is kind of an "immediate value" league. right now, i think gms still look at him as an inconsistent, undersized PF, and we wouldn't get much value for him. IF the rockets are willing to entertain moving him, they should do so once Landry has had a productive first half of the season.

buy low, sell high!

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i agree Landry can shoot jumpers but my question is whether he used his skill at all or a lot. When he used it, did he success? as far as I concern, he was very effective under basket not away the basket.

of coz, you can argue, he didn't need to do that coz how our roster is made. yao and tmac will draw a lot attentions and leave weak side under basket wide open. if this is the case, i don't think dorsey can't do what landry did in last season. have you ever seen a us born player can't dunk?

10. DaDakota

You don't get that many dunks, Landry was great at taking on contact and still finishing...can Dorsey do that? I don't know...but we know that Carl can.....

I like Dorsey, but Landry is proven....got to keep him.

DD

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Dorsey is a possible replacement for Hayes.

He does not replace what Landry brings to the team.

12. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Wouldn't matter. If he can get a deal worth taking from another team, the Rockets would have to match it, or let him walk.

If he gets offered the MLE, and there's a FA 1, 2, or 3 worth $3-5 million, we should just let him walk and sign that other person.

13. DaDakota

Other team's know the Rockets can match it, and are probably going to be unwilling to make an offer, same thing happened to Amir Johnson last year.

Why make an offer, tie up your money for 7 days while other teams sign UFA...and you can't....

DD

14. Old Man Rock

That's not what happened to Johnson last year. Detroit made a good offer to him early and he accepted it. That's what happened to Varejao but he walked away with 3 yr 17 mil deal and an option to become a unrestricted free agent at the end of the second year.

If the Rockets play games with him with a low offer they could be waiting for a long time before signing him. And in the process their MLE will be hijacked. I say give him a fair offer and give him the chance to accept it.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Johnson didn't accept the Pistons offer until the very end.

16. AXG

AXG Member

I think half of the MLE sounds reasonable. Landry is a good young player, but his knees have me worried.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#76

A sign-and-trade deal can be made even with players who have been renounced, but cannot be made when the player is signed using the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual or Disabled Player exceptions.

Landry can't be sign and traded by Rockets since the Rockets would need to use MLE to sign him.

18. Old Man Rock

Answered above. MLE and SnT can't happen together.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

OK then, get ready for some exciting vet min signings.

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

but in regular season after returning from injury and in playoff, landry was blocked most times when he tried to muscle up to have a dunk or layup under basket. when he was open, he still dunked w/o problem. Seems to me dorsey can really muscle up. dorsey is alot stronger than landry.

i really don't think landry should get same amount as scola does. with how our team is built, scola will be our starter at 4. after a year experience, scola should be better.

i am not saying we shouldn't retain him but how much. the max should not be over 2.5 mil. if reaching 3mil, i will say let him walk away or do S&T.