1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] Rockets move step closer to retaining Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jun 29, 2008.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

True, but a second rounder turning out to be as good as Landry so soon happens only once in a couple of drafts. If an agent turns down a 2 year guaranteed contract for his second-round player, he shouldn't be a sports agent. The fact that he didn't want a second year, non-guaranteed makes sense and is really only semantics at that point...

2. poprocks

poprocks Member

His agent was really green. Most of his clients were football players.

3. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Landry's agent is Andrew Baker. Landry is his only client in NBA. So, maybe it's hard for him to find a good offer sheet for Landry.

Also, let's not over-value Landry. Landry can dunk, rebound and play hard. His game still need big improvements to be a good rotational player. I still take Paul Millsap over Landry for now.

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

wow. thats a little too much

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Landry and his agent were fighting for a second GUARANTEED year on the contract, especially since Landry was the first pick of the second round. However, because the Rockets had about 20 players (most with fully guaranteed salaries for 2007-08), the team did not want to commit to a second year in case they had to cut Landry in favor of Butler or Reed. It was the Rockets' unwillingness to agree to Landry's agent's demand for a second guaranteed year that has caused this situation (not that I blame them for their actions at the time).

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If that's the case,I don't blame them either.

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

C'mon. You spend a million for a pick and u dont lock him down for 2 years with 3rd year team options? the 2nd year is only 700K. :rolleyes:

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

According to the Chronicle story at the time:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5130595.html

It doesn't say that Landry's agent was looking for a fully guaranteed deal. It just says that the offer had only a small portion guaranteed. So we don't really know exactly what Landry and his agent were looking for. Regardless the deal that Morey eventually struck was probably the worst choice. A one year partially guaranteed tender offer is practically a "cut-bait" move. Obviously Morey was more concerned about cutting Landry than him actually succeeding.

It's funny because they could have given Landry a three year deal (Like they did with Novak and JL3) if they didn't sign Francis with the rest of the MLE. And Landry would have actually been worth the three years as opposed to Novak who might not make the squad this year, and Lucas who got cut last season.

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Morey has already said the Rockets are going to pick up Novak's option for next season. So, Novak will stay.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think it's more Les Alexander than Morey-- Les feeling queezy about the possible tax hit after a summer of spedning money and eating salaries of Reed and Butler.

Whoever it was, though, it was not a good choice. Rockets could have-- and did, easily dump enough salary to get under the cap.

11. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Or at least a 2 year deal, TEAM option for year 2. Now why would that deal be unreasonable for both sides?

12. saleem

No one was sure how he would do,in fact Morey expressed concern with his performance during the pre-season, but the Rockets undoubtedly are facing a tough situation because of his fine show in the regular season.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Seems to me the Rockets should just do the same thing the Pistons did with Amir Johnson: make it known around the league that they will match any offer on Landry, in order to discourage teams from making offers at all.

14. saleem

I think that is what DM intends to do. In fact,he has already said he will match any offer that any other team makes.

15. poprocks

poprocks Member

I believe that is the strategy that Morey is using.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

SIGN abd TRADE!!! :p

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think a team can S&T using the MLE or a portion of it. The Rockets either sign him, match another team's offer, or let him walk.

I expect the Rockets will sign Landry for a very large portion of the MLE.

18. poprocks

poprocks Member

Keeping Novak suprised me until I checked his Holinger stats. Dude was putting up 17 PER which is actually higher than Scola's.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The pistons did that all summer and eventually gave Johnson an $11 million/3yr deal. I hope we can get Landry for less.

20. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

2 words.

Cheap Skates!

It's not your money and you keep Carl laundry period. Why? He is good for the team and was the best "mistake" DM made.

He picked him but did not trust or didn't want the lux tax comp so he did this one year deal. Live with it people. DM has. He has said he will match any deals. I think that said it all. Mistake for not giving CL a longer contact but then again, you live with your mistakes and you learn from them.

It would be a huge mistake to see a large offer and let him walk. That would be nuts. But I think this scare tactic will work. But CL will get a very good contract. He earned it. He is going to get better.

What is out there that is better than Cl who is a unrestricted free agent. Now, no pipe dreams where Artest will sign for full MLE. That's a pipe dream.
    Same goes for Magrette (SP).

So, unless they is some crazy nut NBA player who is in love with playing for the Rockets, he is not going to be better than a resigned CL for this team.

Yes, it would be great if CL would sign and then we will know what's left of the MLE that could be used. But really, this team has a lot of players and also think G Green will be resigned.

So the only options I think will happen is a trade where some assets are traded for a decent to good scorer.

I know this sounds like a long shot but lets hoep Stevie Francis comes back in good health and give the team some scoring punch off the bench.