1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron.com: Interesting comments from Morey about team strategy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 8, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think your reservations are completely legitimate. However realize that the only year that Asik's contract will be significantly more than value of his proven performance is in the last year of his contract, which would be the year it will be expiring.

If Asik is considered overpaid when his performance declines with extended minutes, I do not see where it would be extremely difficult to trade him. Lets face it, on the Rockets he isn't going to be playing 40+ minutes anyways unless he improves anyways.

Plus, now that the Rockets are going to be flirting with the minimum NBA salary floor, there is no reason why they cant overpay a short term moderately short term, bloated contract or two for a serveable defensive minded center that can easily be traded. This also will allow young projects like Motiejunas, Jones, and Patterson to play their natural positions, not risk injury, and take a larger role offensively since they will not be taking as much of the physical toll on the defensive end guarding larger post players.

2. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

he is foolish if he thinks so

2012-13' Houston Rockets: LET THEM GROW!!!!

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm glad you're clued in with the Orlando front office and what offers they're getting. Tell us more.

4. dobro1229

One last thing on this. Morey wants contracts that are tradeable, not just high upside potential players. Even though he's not going to publicly state this, with all his moves he has made in the past two years signal that this is the deciding factor above all with the signings he makes. See Dalembert signing for an example.

5. fattz

fattz Member

This is what the Rockets are now and I like it a lot.

6. Margrave

Margrave Member

Dubious,

I would say the change happened more recently than that, I believe the changed happened on draft night when the team was stuck with 3 mid level 1st round picks they never had an intention of keeping.

7. Margrave

Margrave Member

I understand that as well, which is why I don't understand them not keeping Dragic, at 8 mill a year for only 4 years, and at really good production, there will be teams clamoring for his services.

Or, are you saying he will be producing much less and his contract will outstrip his true value.

Clearly that is what the organization is saying here, they think he is not worth that contract, so once again their evaluation skills will be on full display.

They might be proven right, of course if they are wrong, it is one really big mistake.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I believe the Rockets valued Dragic a lot, but as stated in the article, they were not going to give a player option because it hamstrings future flexibility. It was their line in the sand.

( Yep, I'd guess Les was probably shocked that they did not get a Dwight deal on draft night, a realization that the best laid plans don't always work when they depend on other people)

9. dobro1229

No, the Dragic contract makes perfect sense. You really see a pattern amongst the hard to trade contracts in the league... Player options for the final year of the deal. That was what the negotiations broke down because of. If the final year of his deal was team option then it would have made him much more attractive in trades in the coming years.

I think his production in the second half of last season vs. contract price tag will be comparable to other starting PG's in the league if not decent value. Still you have to consider how many teams will be looking for complementary solid PG's who are making a high dollar salary amount in trades? There is plenty of reason to consider Dragic's contract coming with a substantial risk involved.

So what would the reward be if he continues to improve? An all-star quality PG. If Dragic makes the all-star team it will make Morey look bad I agree. Still even with just an all-star PG on the roster, this team still isn't close to being a contender either way.

#109 dobro1229, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  10. Margrave

Margrave Member

Dobro,

They have said they want flexibility until they get that seminal player. And are unwilling to pay guys a lot until they get there, and once there they you have to overpay some.

What happens if Dragic becomes an All star player? He had the most upside on the entire team last year.

I think the org clearly does not think he can become a star player, or else they would have signed him and tried to build other pieces around him.

If he becomes a 20-10 guy, then they again, will have shown their inability to properly project players futures.

11. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I have been a big Morey hater. I think the strategy is ok, but why offer Asik so much money if he isn't even our foundation. Doesn't the backloaded contract hurt our flexibility long term

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

good read....
    still pulling assets w s&t on camby and Lee...

13. dobro1229

Even if he becomes an all-star, it doesn't seem like they believe that alone would bring the Rockets back to contender status.

"inability to project players futures"... come on now. No need to recycle DD's statements that cannot be backed either way. What team gets it 100% correct especially on more high upside players? You're dealing with a human element that no statistic can predict the future. In retrospect, there is no question that they continue to draft well at the levels they are drafting at. I find it hard to argue against that statement.

They have missed on some of the higher risk/reward players they have brought in but they continue to take more swing for fences picks so obviously they aren't just settling for the undervalued low-risk moneyball players that they so often get confused with taking.

Not really exactly sure what you and others are wanting them to do rather than get it right on 100% of the players they draft and bring in, which no team does. Not even the beloved Sam Presti gets it right 100% of the time. Yes, Morey should be held accountable for the moves he makes, but unrealistic expectations are.... well unrealistic.

14. dobro1229

back loaded year is in the final year of his deal. Large expiring contracts, especially with productive centers, still hold solid trade value.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If u make a trade for a foundation player, u gotta send back some contracts with some meat to make the #s work... few teams could absorb 4or5 spots (for rookie scale players) to offset a high dollar contract... Asiks contract is reasonable...younger than Scola, cheaper than Kmart...

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The backloaded contract is ONLY FOR THE BULLS. If the Rockets get Asik, it's $8.33 per season.

The apparent "contradiction" with Asik is because he's a center. Supply and demand is such that the position necessitates taking chances, especially considering you're more likely to be able to trade them later on.

17. Margrave

Margrave Member

Choose a direction, stop hedging your bets, go all in on the youngsters, and live with the results.

Don't have a roster of vets and youngsters - why try to squeak out a few extra wins when it costs you draft position and historically the higher you draft the better chance you have of getting that star player.

I firmly believe the Rockets talk the talk, but do not walk the walk, and the evidence supports that, IMO.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

In summary: If you are not a "foundational piece" you are just an asset ready to be exchanged for one.

19. dobro1229

Are they re-signing Camby? Did they not just trade Dalembert? Did they not trade other role players for draft picks? Are they not taking gambles on high risk/reward players? Is their team, as currently constructed not one of the youngest in the league?

Not sure what evidence you want to support your need as a fan. Other than losing on purpose to gain lottery balls, there is really nothing that this team is doing to not take the direction that you are suggesting.

We could go through the past two season's moves and argue back and forth on the direction they were taking post-Yao, but just look at the team as currently constructed and tell me that they aren't trying to sink or swim with young players or put themselves in a postion to rebuild on the fly with a slew of assets?

If you dont want them to try and trade for superstars then I have to respect that opinion even if I do not agree with it. I personally think the anti-Morey disgruntled former Rockets fans wont be happy with any direction that he takes just because Morey is behind the deals. Some people will just never be satisfied.

"Hedging you bets"... come on man. Stick to your own opinions. I know there are people on here that you might agree with most of the time, but you dont have to follow their analogies word for word.

20. Margrave

Margrave Member

It is now, so why go after marginal players like Asik and Lin? They don't get you closer to your goals of :

1. A higher draft pick
    2. A superstar player

Therefore they are not worth pursing, unless you are Les Alexander and you know that people will still come to the games and keep the money coming in if you have Lin, right?

Not to mention both Dragic and Lee were let go with nothing coming back in the way of future picks.

The team should have been stockpiling future picks as soon as they saw Yao retire.

The irony is that the Rockets are being forced into the proper course - kicking and screaming - but at least they are getting there due to their own ineptness at executing their original plan.

1 person likes this.