1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron.com: Interesting comments from Morey about team strategy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You really think what Morey said is a secret among NBA front offices?

2. Margrave

Margrave Member

It is 100% a new direction if true.

DD

3. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Yeah and that Gasol trade was an utter train wreck waiting to happen. Nothing about that trade helped us rebuild. Negative

Dwight Howard made it clear he's not coming here and we never had enough to offer Orlando anyway. We're just being used as leverage at this point. We never had a chance in hell at Dwight. Morey knows this but allows the media to keep hyping it because it gives the false impression we're always "close" when we're really nowhere it.

Dont let these articles fool you. These are just Rocket talking points to keep the fanbase at bay.

1 person likes this.
  4. Carl Herrera

There is no reasoning with conspiracy theorists.

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Wait... now everyone likes Morey again?

Like this hasn't been clear on what he is doing since the Lowry trade (arguably before that)?

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Even though I have my doubts about his moves this off season. It's good to know he still follows a logical and disaplined blue print to rebuilding.

I mean it makes sense

2010-While the team waits Yao for a come back. He signs Ariza, and trades former foundation AKA corpse of Mac and Landry for Kevin Martin to build around Yao.

2011-Yao officially retires last off season. Foundation player is gone, he aquires D-Mo in the draft and immedietly trades off vets like Martin and Scola for a Gasol/Nene combo, with Lowry and Lee as supporting pieces.

I guess after getting frcuked by Stern, the plan is now getting more picks for potential while looking to trade for a foundation in Howard.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nothing new. It basically says we're tanking responsibly. Not leaving us completely at the mercy of ping pong balls.

This strategy is no different than last season, except in the past they have said that they want older players to be around to help develop the younger ones - it's clear now that this was scrapped.

I don't really believe in having older players to help develop the younger ones, it's too costly. I believe in getting more mature young players. I believe in a strong coaching staff which gives every player a chance at maximizing their potential by correcting weaknesses and creating strengths. I believe that no team should settle for anything less than the absolute best physical fitness in the league. I believe in a Head Coach who knows how to motivate all types of players, and relies heavily on the technical/tactical profiency of his assistants, as well as the management information provided by the GM.

So as far as I'm concerned, we're exactly where I'd like us to be now, except perhaps we will need to replace McHale. He can be the best coach in the world, but if his players don't like him on a personal level, they will not be as productive as possible. You can convince anyone to work hard and play team ball if you know what motivates them. IMO McHale seeks out players that are motivated by his style of coaching, and that's detrimental to the team. But for the time being, I think he deserves to go a full season, and I think there is the bonus of him working with our young bigs.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Utter train wreck is only your opinion which is worth as much as that, a cf poster's opinion

Lowry,Lin
    Courtney Lee
    Parsons, Budinger
    Nene, Pat Pat
    Gasol, Dmo

That line up is definitely better than what we were left with after being vetoed

9. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Great post, maybe some of the complaining about Morey will stop.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morey dispensing kool-aid

11. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Morey is lying because just last year he tried to go the Gasol & Nene route and when he couldn't land them, signed Dalembert to stay competitive. If what he says now is really his strategy since Yao leaving, then why didn't he do all this last offseason? Does he really think Gasol was that superstar??

12. Carl Herrera

Dalembert was signed to a short favorable contract that was traded to move up in the draft. He also was not blocking anyone's development since there were not good young centers on the team.

13. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Tanking responsibly until we are able to acquire a superstar either via trade, free agent, or draft.

This about sums it up.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the last part didn't fit Scola until recently. Camby is probably a better example of this. He came here to help on the floor, but also give the younger guys leadership. He had to understand this and not complain when he was benched in favor of other guys, even when he was probably playing better.

Now, with the other guys gone, Scola's coming into a similar role where his minutes are no longer the priority. If he stays, we should expect him to play significantly less, especially in crunch time.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Great post by the main man himself. (That's Morey. Sorry Carl.)

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

When I see it I will believe it. He may just turn around and trade all in for one year of Dwight. Then all that stuff will sound like hogwash again.

17. prs325

prs325 Member

He signed Dalembert because there was a need. Its been a need since Yao went down and Hayes was manning the spot.

Also, when Yao was the foundational piece, Morey drafted, signed, and traded for pieces that complemented Yao skillset (Artest, Lowry, Martin, Scola, Battier, Brooks, Landry, Ariza, Hayes, heck even Sura, Barry, Wesley, James, and Jackson).

He really is adept at placing fantastic role players around a true superstar. I remember Kenny Smith during the playoffs referring to the Rockets supporting cast as bulldogs surrounding Yao. I believe that he can do the same if/when a superstar arrives or is developed within

The problem is since we haven't found that foundational piece yet, he has to be disciplined enough and remain detached to strong veteran pieces that may hinder attaining that goal. We as fans get attached to the players and therein lies the problem.

He has a tough job but you have to believe that once the Rockets attain that star player, you can see that he can place bulldogs which he can confidently do if we're able to attain a player of Dwight's magnitude.

18. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

“When you’re close and have a foundational piece, you should be willing to give up picks and overpay players, whatever it takes while you have that precious foundation to get better,” Morey said. “When you don’t have a foundational piece to build around, you should do every move in reverse, which is how does each move get us closer to getting a star, how does it get us more cap room, how does it get us more high picks and how does it get us more players with potential.”

I don't think there could be a better, more sussinct summary.

19. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

There's nothing like a precious foundation

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

how does Asik & Lin fit into that strategy?