1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron.com] Hispanics exceed Anglos in Harris County

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wreck, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think this thread is blatantly racial.

2. BigTex

BigTex Member

this is blatantly racist

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOBHm0msP2A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOBHm0msP2A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I never understood the term Latin as it referred to Spanish speaking people
    well . . I mean it is a language based of Latin
    but
    so is French and Italian
    Why would the French and Italian not be considered LATIN as well?
    [or Latino]

The question is . .. How do you expect this population shift to affect Houston? If at all.

Rocket River

4. conquistador#11

the correct term is spanish american, all those living in the americas who speak spanish as their main language.

I have a vision that one day.... latin american studies will be a required course in high schools across north america. now more than ever, kids grow up losing touch with their culture and end up like Alberto Gonzales :(

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Good...Go Raza!!!

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I too have a dream. That one day little brown boys and little white girls will have empanadas y arepas as lunch choices instead of burritos and tacos at school. That every little latin child will grow up listening to Soda Stereo and Babasonicos instead of South Park Mexican or Selena. But most importantly, that every U.S. child will recognize that Latin America is not 1 country and culture but 25+ different nations.

7. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

does that mean Anglos now count as a minority and are entitled to such endowments?

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Nice!

[​IMG]

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

They are considered Latin, at least in Europe. Since we're much closer to Latin America here and deal with people from there more often the term is just used to describe them and their culture now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Europe

I'd love that, arepas and empanadas are awesome, of course I'd rather it be in addition to instead of in place of.

10. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Nobody really knows. Hispanic in my opinion means anyone who's home country is predominantly spanish speaking in the western hemisphere. Meaning they have a spanish background. But most people, specially in the carribean consider themselves latin or latino, which in my opinion the same thing. But wouldnt latino be the wrong word to use, I mean at least hispanic is related to something in their background. Latin? where would they get that from.

Anyway Hispanic is just a way to group a whole general area of nationalities together, Like black or white people or saying Asians. I'm pretty sure the word would not exist if it wasnt for the diversity in the U.S.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

no, because they are still the oppressors

12. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I learned in sociology that the term Majority did not really mean the size of population. That term really means who has the majority of power, which would be white people. So as long as a majority of white people are in power, then they will technically be the majority.

13. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

*Crockett faints*

#33 Another Brother, Aug 10, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  14. conquistador#11

Potato and beef empanadas are my favorite :D I think replacing the school menu with a variation of our cuisines is a great way to start. Follow that up with the massive shutdown of all Taco Bell and Taco Cabana covert operations(they made an attempt to pass off the pupusa as a flat burrito).

Also, Soda stereo and los prisioneros are the two best sudamerican rockers of the 80's. Too bad all bands break up! any truth to that soda stereo reunion rumor?

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Comeo n guys, Hispanics have contributed a lot more to the world than tacos and beans.