1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Coaches summer league thoughts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Jul 22, 2008.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5900396.html

Seems like Adelman's already pushing Greene..

2. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

good article... hope mike can play the 3 we need someone like him on this team

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Donte really has to take that next step mentally. If he does..... NBA watch out

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

At least Brooks/Greene are in the "How soon do they enter the rotation?" talk as opposed to the Harris/Dorsey/Novak "Do they even make the team?" discussion.

That's always a good problem to have.

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I didn't get that Greene was ahead of DOrsey. In fact the opposite. Adelman said the kid doesn't understand how hard he has to work to get any playing time. Whereas Turner said Dorsey does have the skill but he has to learn strategies and concepts, but he can learn.

Effort and intensity are not an issue for Dorsey but they seem to be a big issue for Greene. IMO the verdict is still out on Greene. He didn't drop to the 28th pick for lack of talent.

6. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

I like that RA is calling out Greene. He's absolutely right he should crash the boards harder. Thats where coaching comes in and makes these guys play the team defense and crash the boards.. I hope this is AB's break out season, and starts logging some serious minutes, which helps Rafer stay more rested. Mike Harris as the 3 back up would be a good move for his post up ability. Even though he is lacking a 3pt shot, he is good for defense, hustle and energy which is great coming off the bench. Dorsey may not be ready yet, but I see him getting minutes as the back up over Deke based on athleticism. He will progress as the season goes on and learns the ins and outs of being an NBA big man. Novak, I wished you could play Defense worth a flip, we'll miss that sweet shot.

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

- Novak: I am not sure if Morey shall trade him if they dont have a replacement for him. Novak is pretty unique as a 3 pt shooting 4 and he's proven in game situation.
    - Harris: His game is a 6'6 PF. Didnt see him playing like a 3 in summer league. If Harris can really play like a 3, he should have done it a long time ago. I cant see the transformation for a 25 year old player.
    - Greene & Dorsey: We'll see them next season. Let's see who work harder and break the rotation.

8. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

Novak is not irreplaceable. (see Maarty Luenen).

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Wake me up after Maarty makes the team, gets his 1st minute NBA playtime and hits his 1st NBA basket.

10. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Oh man I'll never understand some of these young players. You are 20 years old and have secured a fat contract. If you play hard and try to improve you will get an even fatter contract. Your life is set. But yet you don't wanna work hard enough (Greene)?

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Only a player knows how much effort he's putting in. IMO Greene looked more clueless on the defensive end than slacking.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wake me up next time Novak makes a cut on the offensive end.

Fairly stupid comment you made...

Leunen is an excellent 3pt shooter from NBA range - he clearly showed that in summer league!
    That's pretty well got Novak covered in terms of skills.

The ONLY bonus Novak has is his experience - he's shown that he can do it in a big game and at the highest level.

Personally, I'd trade Novak and bring in Leunen - if Scola and Landry both got injured, I'd be petrified with Novak playing 15 minutes a night. I know Leunen has shown nothing in the NBA yet, but I'd rather him than Novak in every regard and every facet of the game EXCEPT the 3pt shot (and there's no guarantee that Leunen won't shoot 40+% his whole career from 3pt land)

Leunen will most likely go overseas and not come to training camp (it's the smart move) but he'll come back for next summer league and make a real strong case to be on the team (since Novak's contract will have expired!)

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Looks like Novak will be gone...too bad, I like the guy.

14. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I would throw them ALL into the fire right now.

Trade Hayes, Francis, Head, Bobby Jackson, Novak and a second rounder for Raef Lafrentz and a first rounder.

They get to cut whichever of the 5 players they don't want. More functional tan having Lafrentz.

We keep Lafrentz, he's expiring. Most importantly, it allows us to keep our young guys. I know Lafrentz hasn't produced in years, but I'm sure he can be more productive than Loren Woods or Justin Williams. Not to mention it nets us a first rounder.

Yao/Deke/Lafrentz
    Scola/Landry/Dorsey/Harris
    Battier/Greene/Harris
    T-Mac/Barry
    Alston/Brooks

Which leaves us with two roster spots: Leunen and Batista from summer league? Maybe sign some minimum vets (Damon Stoudamire)? Hopefully, if we don't use up all our MLE on Landry, maybe use the rest of it to sign someone as well.

Point being, it gives us possibilities, a backup C, and a future first. It also makes us a bigger player in 2010.

15. sleepirlo

sleepirlo Member

Seams that Adelman does n't like Greene's style of playing.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

There are many better players than Novak out there. If Novak goes in a package for a better player, Morey should go for it. We don't know at this point if the other player is a 3 pt shooter or not.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I don't think Portland wants any of our players.

They don't want our 2nd round pick. They have stockpiled several 1st and 2nd round picks over the last 2 seasons.

They have no Yao Ming or McGrady size max contracts on their roster, besides Raef's $12.7 million expiring contract. Which they might be able to use to get a Gasol or Camby deal, instead of 2nd round draft pick. According to some reports, they may let it expire and chase prime free agents next year.

Kevin Pritchard is a moneyball gm, too. He ain't no Elgin Baylor or Isiah Thomas.

18. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Is Raef even on Morey's radar?...

That said, Raef can still play - I watched a few Portland games where injuries made him a starter, and he still produced.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

wake us up when novak starts cutting, attacking the rim, rebounding, or defending

20. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Its' call coaching and motivating a 20 year rookie to get some playing time. Trust me Rockets salivating over Greene just realizes he has work to do.