1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Chuck Hayes close to signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Jul 21, 2015.

1. dragician

dragician Member

LMA is now regretting he signed up with Spurs.

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Hayes went from being somewhat of a joke as a bb player (if those fts did not make you laugh, I don't know what will), to a respectful player. Just watching him playing defense against much taller players like Amare, LMA, etc... was just a treat. Hayes is just so smart with his defensive technique. Regarding that funny ft form, towards the end of his career with Rockets, he was able to ocassionaly swish two in a row.

If it a choice between Alan Williams, whom I like very much and Hayes, I think Hayes should the one to get the nod. We are looking at a rather short window with D12.

3. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I think Chuck is the kind of player that has his play elevated by the guys around him. On a crappy team he will fade into the wall paper. As a complimentary player on a good team he can good rebounder and post defender in spot minutes.

Let's not forget that the trend in the NBA is playing 6'6 to 6'9 guys that can switch defensive assignments. Spurs ran that line up with Diaw, Miami had a line ups with Haslem playing center and Lebron at PF, GS basically benched Bogut in the finals to run with Green and Barnes as their bigs. Chuck gives us the flexibility to match those line ups running him at center and either Ariza or Jones at the 4.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't expect him to see much court time, but he's one of my all time favorite Rockets so I'll be glad to see him on our roster. I'll never forget the way every single year we thought somebody the Rockets brought in would push him out of the lineup, and every year he beat everybody out. The Chuckwagon is exactly the kind of vet you want at the end of your bench imparting wisdom to the young guys.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Great news.

Very happy to have him back. Extremely underrated most of you young guys don't know what were getting!

6. vator

vator Contributing Member

Warming up to this idea. I must admit that some of you guys are talking me into this.

7. Rocket_Man_2.0

Wasted roster spot...I'd rather sign a young player with potential like Alan Williams or Christian Wood. Chuck Hayes best days as a player are behind him. Assistant coach is the only role I see for him here...:confused:

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

Hayes has had some great defensive games against Aldridge. You can guarantee that was taken into account if we decide to get him back.

9. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Chuck will be an assist coach, he can help TJ & Harrell how to guard bigs

10. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

No.

Who else do you have confidence in, besides Dwight, to guard skilled opposing bigs? Capela hasn't shown that yet. DMo tries...

This is simple. Out with Dorsey, in with the veteran Chuck Wagon next to DMo or something? Holy hell YES PLEASE

I hope we are as versatile as it looks now... I am drooling

11. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Don't forget, he became a really good inside-out player/passer with Adelman. It earned him a triple dub :eek:

12. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

U cann't be underrated guys like Hayes forever.
    Nobody believed this guy could play NBA, but he had played 10 years
    He had been the start Center for 2 years for Houston Rockets

13. verysimplejason

Nice insurance especially in the playoffs were a lot of injuries happen. Dwight seems fragile for some years now...

14. Clown Baby

Clown Baby Member

Yes, it's from Sunny haha. One of my favorite episodes.

We're on the same page with TJ. I think Clutchfans forgets that TJ has only played 128 games in the NBA. The arrow is still pointing up for him, and he's already flashed an interesting ceiling. But he does seem a tiny bit on the "soft" side, which is why I think Hayes could really help the guy out in practice by playing physical with him.

Hayes' mentoring potential when it comes to TJones and DMo is enough for me to prefer Chuck to Alan Williams. Williams might end up a legit rotation player in the future, but he doesn't bring the kind of veteran leadership and toughness that Chuck brings to the table.

15. dmoneybangbang

Nah, we already got enough young bigs. We will more than likely have Wood and Harrell in the d league so we need insurance in case one of the rotation bigs goes down or gets traded.

16. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I would love the addition of Hayes. He would provide more value to the team than a young guy who would never sniff the floor.

17. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

TJones' boyish demeanor holds him back a little. I wonder if it's age or just him, no idea if he'll ever be able to overcome it.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Don't forget that Chuck and Dwight played AAU ball together.

Not really, but it needed to be said simply because we've already heard that about Josh and Dwight a million times like it was news.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

At best, he'd be good insurance at the 5 and provide solid defense at the 4.

At worst, he's another good locker room precence to keep order and help mentor the young guys (and hopefully help keep Lawson out of trouble). Remember, even though we're contending- the bulk of our team is under 25. Another elder statesman along with JET goes a long way.

20. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Nah, assistant coaches are not the same as veteran players at the end of the bench, in the locker room and practice that play the game, prepare themselves the way players do through out a season. It called veteran leadership and all championship teams need them.