1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Chuck Hayes close to signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We will play him only against Lamarcus Aldridge. That man had LMA's game figured out. I hope he tells his secret to the kids.

2. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Yeah I expect him to be used against SAS & Memphis. I think Griffin is too athletic for Chuck but he could certainly help there as well.

Nice signing.

3. rocketsmetalspd

Chuck will be the Mutombo veteran leader, insurance, and role model for the young bigs.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He can teach Jones and D-Mo the mental aspect of the game, in addition to defense, rebounding. This is critical to their growth.

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

I agree with this. 100%

I love Chuck Hayes. The guy competes. He used to be unmovable while defending the post. He's undersized, but even though that was a limitation he used it as a strength and would use his smaller size as leverage to get up and under the other player's higher center of gravity. His offensive game is limited to put it nicely, but he would at least set solid screens and would always be cutting to the basket.

I haven't really seen him play since he left the Rockets. I don't know what he is like now. But even if he is the exact same player that he used to be when he was here, it is hard to see him getting much, if any, playing time behind Howard, Capela, D-Mo and Jones. Maybe if we have as many injuries as last year?

Still better than Joey Dorsey.

6. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Chuck. But what more could Alan Williams possibly do to earn a roster spot? The guy dominated Summer League (30+ PER) and has had nothing but an incredibly positive attitude. He's worked his ass of for a spot on the Rockets and IMO he deserves it over Chuck.

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

My Top 5 Reasons Why Giving the 15th Spot to Chuck Hayes is AWESOME:

#1 Veteran Leadership is not a 'bottom of the barrel' contribution. Hayes (and Terry) will be in our guys ear making sure they are always hustling and leaving it all out on the floor. Hayes will teach how to not be a damn fool and teach hustle, grit, poise, focus.
    [​IMG]

#2 McHale will never have to tell Hayes to "drop that ass"
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">McHale to Jordan Hill on needing to get lower in post drills: &quot;You got Dwight Howard in 10 days. You better drop that ass.&quot;</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/147418112134873089">December 15, 2011</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#3 Hayes always makes the smart, correct decision.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BNZ7DL-eHes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#4 If you sleep on Hayes, he'll "**** you up"
    [​IMG]

#5 This puts Good JuJu all over this coming season. We go all the way and win it for the Chuckwagon. Such a cool sub-story. Chuck Hayes is everything that is right about basketball.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KCMo5ZJ2p3U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How has Williams performed in actual NBA games? If I am not mistaken, you and I have as many rebounds as he does in the NBA.

9. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

His rookie year has not begun yet. Of course he doesn't have any rebounds. But through his performance in college and in summer league he's shown that he deserves the chance to go get those rebounds.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i like hard-nosed, tough players like Chuck.

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Donatas Motiejunas
    Terrence Jones
    Montrezl Harrell
    Clint Capela

These 4 guys make up 80% of our frontcourt players. They are all under the age of 25. Do we really need to add more young big men? I'd rather add some more veteran leadership.

12. Lando

Lando Member

I wouldn't be mad about it

13. mightybosstone

I get that everyone wants someone who is a more of a threat offensively (Boozer) or someone with more potential (Williams) to take that spot as the third big man off the bench, but I think Hayes is a far better fit for what the Rockets need. They already have offense and stretch scorers with D-Mo and Jones, and they already have athletic finishers and rebounders with Dwight and Capela. What they need is a physical, versatile defender who can put a body on opposing 4s and can stay with them on the perimeter. With Josh Smith gone, they don't really have a guy capable of doing that. And the Rockets play in a conference with Davis, Aldridge, Griffin, Randolph and Ibaka. Hayes may not be the best player they could get, but he may be the best fit to fill that hole in their roster.

1 person likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nobody expects him to play a lot of minutes. But remember, even Adelman didn't know how good Chuck was until he was forced to start him after Yao was done.

15. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

If this team were rebuilding I would definitely agree with you. We are not. We need to get by one or two teams in the playoff that have unguardable PFs on their rosters. Chuck has proven to be able to limit these kinds of players and Alan Williams has not.

I'll be happy either way but if they take Chuck it is because they believe he has a role on this team in chasing a Championship. I'm not sure that Alan Williams does but I really wish we had a spot for him.

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

No thank you on the Alan Williams Project. (eh? eh? see what i did there?) Seems like every summer league The GARM anoints a new "King of the SL!" Who was it last year? Tarik Black? Jeremy Lamb comes to mind a few SL's ago...

There is a huge reason why NBA coaches say 'sit your rook butt down' for most of their rookie season. You'd have a 6000 pg bible if you wrote down all the trade secrets, tricks of the trade, the craft of a true NBA player, etc. Rooks get exposed so quickly. Dumb fouls, bad/missed reads, bad movement and turnovers...pretty much what you will never get from a Chuckwagon but you can always expect in droves from a rook.

17. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Don't underestimate this move. It allows Rockets to matchup with GS smallball lineup in short spurts obviously.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

For practice? Last time I saw him on TV, he was quite fat, seems to be not able to play much on the court anymore.

19. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

second

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So does Towns.

Its ok to not like a player, but your reason sounds ridiculous.