1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Chuck Hayes close to signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Ill take a 32 year old, undersized, Chuck Hayes over Joey Dorsey any season. Chuckwagon will not be in the rotation, but he will be a good teacher to the younger big men we do have.

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Chuck has always been a fan favorite. Might not have much left in the tank but would bring leadership & a friendly face on the bench.

3. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Glad to have him back on a low cost deal. Will provide the veteran leadership this team needs in the front court.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

True, Morey could pay a 32 year old Alpaca vet min to replace Joey Dorsey and I wouldn't be mad at all, lol.

5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Damn, I didn't know he was 32. Time flies.

6. hakeemthagreat

Can't believe ppl question what Chuck can contribute. Defense is something you never lose as a big man. Especially when you're as smart as Chuck, and understand angles
    with defensive position. I think Chuck's PERFECT given we'll be seeing a lot of LMA this season

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Exactly.

HE may not play much at all, but what he will do is be there in practice to help teach the bigs on what post defense is all about. All teams need the kind of stabilizing veteran presence that can teach and be a fallback defensive option in case of injuries.

For veterans minimum, he isn't a bad guy to have around. Just don't expect him to actually be in the everyday rotation.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Not expecting a resurgence in his career, but Chuck has high bball IQ and can hopefully mentor our young guys defensively. DMo, Jones, Capela, and Harrell can all learn a few things from him. Plus, I think he and Terry are great guys to have in the locker room. Plus, who know? Maybe he can be a cooler. Slow down big guys that are getting hot.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

As others have said, it's about the leadership.

Terry and Chuck on the bench will keep this team disciplined and focused. I think Chuck will have a tremendous impact on D-Mo, Jones, and Harrell as far as positioning and footwork, which should be a boost to our defense.

10. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Hope we utilize his high post passing with that 2nd unit.

11. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Remember "I will **** u up". That's wat he said! Lol

12. baubo

baubo Member

Hayes today isn't a starter or a backup. But if Jones or DMo goes down? He can come in for 15-20 minutes and mix it up. For 3rd stringer he's pretty damn good.

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

Love Chuck, absolutely. He'll be an improvement over Dorsey. But I cannot fathom why Morey would prefer Chuck over Alan Williams, who is bigger, a decade younger, a better rebounder/scoring threat/FT shooter, and has potential for improvement. :?

14. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

well, i guess, we are just looking for veteran leadership and professionalism at this point, since we want to develop those young guys, chuck can certainly help them giving them advice from his experience on defending taller stronger low post players

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You haters will need to apologize to Chuck when he gets into the starting lineup.

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

His experience would be more valuable in general. The spot he is taking will not get much burn. So why get someone who could potentially contribute play maybe 40 minutes over the course of the entire season? Chuck could do that. But he also brings a veteran presence in the locker room, experience, insight and leadership to the young'ns up front.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If Chuck Hayes were 7ft tall he'd have been not only a star, but one of the best defensive and rebounding big men of all time. A sure shot hall of famer.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Chuck can teach. Williams needs to be taught.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Nice insurance to have when Howard's had health issues, DMo has health issues ("they told me I hafta go to rehab I say 'no, no, no'"*), Tjones runs hot and cold, and Capela shows promise but is only a second-year player.

*Actually, DMo is very much rehabbing and progressing, I just can't help think of the song when the word comes up in conversation.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Chuck may start opening night with Dwight suspended. Just like old times

I dont expect him to get a lot of PT during the season unless injures (like last season) dictate it, but he would a huge upgrade in the locker room and at practices. Guys like Chuck are essential for a team's growth internally.