1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Chron/CenterPoint] : Millions of residents face another dark night

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 15, 2008.

1. lpbman

lpbman Member

Seriously.... why not just insulate the wire?

Minimal cost as far as the wire goes, and the added weight can't add THAT much overall expense because you have to put the poles a bit closer together.

Won't save you from downed poles but it also won't cost you what an underground grid would cost you.

2. Fatty FatBastard

Drove by my place this morning in Montrose. Power is still out in my neck of the woods.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, I will say that patience is definitely a virtue hearing all this...My mom headed back down today but won't have power until after the 22nd (older part of pearland)...She's looking for a generator to run the essentials...

I know for a fact Centerpoint is doing all they can do as my dad works for them and he's working 18 hour days and he doesn't have power yet...

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We're in Kingwood and out of luck. My zip doesn't even show up on Entergy or CenterPoint's websites.

We're looking at being without power until October 5th.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Tell him I said "thanks". :) This is a pretty massive undertaking Centerpoint is doing. One of the largest cities in the country both by population and land area nearly completely without power and they have to fix it.

My parents are still without power and lookin' to buy a new house now because they say it's startin' to smell funny in theirs. lol.

6. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Tell your Dad Thanks.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Not trying to brag or anything, but when I was at the gas station today there were two utility crewman in there from Canada with soft drinks, chips, donuts and other things they were about to purchase. I had to practically BEG them to let me pay for it all and completely thanked them for all of their hard work.

The response I got while talking to them outside was that Houston was, by far, one of the friendliest cities they've ever visited. They've seen some angry people, and they understand their frustrations, but the major majority have given them high fives, offered them food and shelter, and many thumbs up on the roads. They also said I was not the first person to offer to pay for their concessions, and they're not used to people being so friendly in such a bad situation. That was awesome to hear!

God bless our awesome state of Texas!

8. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Power came back at 6:30 tonight...feel blessed!

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Hey, bud... I fixed your FF roster last week for you.. and you won!

Thank me in the Super Bowl. ;)

10. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Yeah, I think that's what gets lost in all of this is just the frustration that sets in. People start blaming the companies, who are working as hard as they can to fix this. It is frustrating as hell to have no power and when you're without the comforts that you're so used to having it gets very trying on the nerves. That being said, it's not as if Centerpoint is doing an immaculate job, but I really think they're doing the best they can considering just the sheer size and area of Houston and the surrounding communities.

Tell your dad it's definitely appreciated without a doubt.

11. supastevefoo

supastevefoo Member

Stay save everyone! I live in Florida and had to go a week without power, then got power, then another hurricane hit. Then lost power for another week!