1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron/CenterPoint] : Millions of residents face another dark night

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The government can and should help subsidize the costs of providing a better system.

2. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

[​IMG]

:D

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Underground lines are not the solution. They are very expensive in which we would be paying for them. Not to mention that they are not easy to access like current lines. They would have to dig up roads and block access to them.

4. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Well forget underground lines. How about using better line posts? I mean how hard is it to use concret posts instead of wood ones?

5. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I am not saying replace all the power lines with underground. But in some areas, yes I can see how it would help. As Dubious posted, some new developments are already doing this. In areas with trees running right next to power lines, such as the Woodlands, I definitely could see how it would help.

Not sure why you are 100% opposed to it. I am not trying to make this thread about underground vs poles, that isn't the purpose and it seems it is escalating. I just had a comment/idea, that is it. I am dropping the issue all together now.

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

How about simply insulating the wire so it doesn't ground itself on the first frickin tree that blows into it.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

There is a centerpoint map that I saw earlier but now the site isn't working for me. It breaks up the areas of Houston and tells you whether to expect power before or after Monday the 22nd. I live in the 77008 and of course it said I wont get power until after Monday. :mad:

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

same here... this really, really, really blows.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Well good news, bad news.

Bad News - Centerpointe lied.

Good News - WE HAVE POWER THIS AFTERNOON, BABY!!!!! WHOOHOO!!!

10. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

great, it says after Monday, sept 22nd for me!

however, i think this map is a little bit inaccurate...my parents who are in blue shade got their power back monday.

11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Geez, I feel so sorry for all of you without power and damage.My parents live in Kingwood and they "think" they will have power by next Tuesday, to be honest I cannot fathom having no power for that long. My prayers are with all of you, it was sureal watching the storm and the aftermath from here in Omaha.......Good luck to all of you

12. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I agree. My last post looked like I was gloating and I shouldn't have been. Just excited to have the power back.

6 days without power was hell so it's hard to imagine looking at another week or more.

My prayers also to those still dealing without it. Hang in there guys.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

if we dont have power by friday i'm heading to austin.

14. LouisianaRocket

we won't have power until Oct. 5th :( :mad: :(

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I thank god I have my parents house to go to where they are lucky enough to have power while I wait this out. I'm sitting here sick as hell with a fever and can't imagine having to do this with no electricity. Hang in there fellas.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I would like to see a cost analysis of a underground vs above ground.

You might also remember that if you have to upgrade an above ground system due to new buildings that have higher capacity it is much easier. Underground you have to dig into the ground (which has power lines)

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The cost is what stops them from doing it. This same discussion came up in a neighborhood near where I live. Residents wanted to bury power lines instead of moving poles closer to their houses as a street was being widened. They saw the cost of doing it and decided against it.

18. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I just got my power back at 6:20

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Just heard from a neighbor, power has been restored to my place in 77008 tonight. I'll be heading back tomorrow, woohoo!

20. DJNICK

DJNICK Member

Power back on 45 minutes ago here at 77095. :D