1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Can the Rockets afford to keep Yao Ming?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cmellon, May 12, 2009.

1. leeallen

leeallen Contributing Member

And you have to learn filtering what the media is saying. Especially those written interviews. You don't have to take everything they feed you.

2. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

The NBA is a business, yao isn't going anywhere bacause he gives les $$$. stop making stupid threads.

3. monte

monte Member

I think the real question is:

Can Yao afford to stay as a rocket?

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Yao is not a greedy player and money will not be an issue with him. He's going to see what's best for him to win a championship. If the Rockets aren't a contender, he's leaving. Don't expect Yao to stay because Less needed his money. Yao is going to see Less is a greedy b*stard if he's not willing to spend some money and give the Rockets a chance at a championship.

5. Squallmao

Squallmao Member

Some fans are just being unrealistic.

1. Rockets and Lakers are the two most profitable organization in this league with 30m some net income, despite the fact that Rockets never made out of the first round for 12 years. Why? u figure

2. DM has been begging Yao to renew his contract at the end of last season and through out this whole season, Yao said wait. Yes, it's 6 years for 135m MAX contract. Alex once said Yao will sign it simply because Rockets can offer 15m more cash than other teams (135m vs 120m), he looked down Yao, Yao does not need that extra money, all he needs is a RING.

3. People talk about trading Yao or not, but don't realize the more important question is what you can get back? I can't imagine SUPERSTARs like D-Wade, LBJ or Bosh are willing to come to Houston, a place without a legitimate center.

If Yao leaves, it is a failure for Rockets, Alex knows it, DM knows it, they are the smarter people.

6. manhore

manhore Member

Houston needs Yao more than Yao needs Houston.

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

I don't think it has anything to do with being fed up or bored with Yao. Rockets fans love Yao Ming, just like they loved Ralph Sampson. Some of us are just a little concerned that Yao may have more in common with Ralph than we're comfortable with. I hope not, but I'm beginning to wonder.

8. choujie

choujie Member

That blogger is nuts.

If a player who attracts double teams without ball is not a superstar, then become a superstar is harder than become a HOF.

9. jae713

jae713 Member

The only thing that worries me about trading Yao is who would replace him. Sure YAO has his flaws, but where will you find a center that can contribute as much as Yao. Unless we were to bring another All-star type center like Chris Bosh (just as an example) we are stuck with him. Plus, if Yao is gone and Artest resigns, are you comfortable with Artest being your first option offensively? Trading Yao would hurts us more than help. We have a hard enough time finding a backup center, imagine trying to find a starting one.

10. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

Is Yao the best 5 in the league?

Yes.

Is Yao a super star?

Yes.

Does Yao make Houston a more legit contender?

Yes.

Is Yao prone to future injury in the future?

Sadly, yes....but I think it'll be the kind of minor injuries that he can play through.

Other than that, the best solution to protect Les' investment in Yao is to keep Yao cryogenically frozen until the postseason...then we can thaw Yao come playoff time (that way Yao will be fresh as hell for the playoffs).

11. choujie

choujie Member

Yao has been called soft by so many fans here. Bosh is 10 times softer.

12. focusonyao

focusonyao New Member

Trade Yao please. I’m fed up with Alexander who is such a big Miser. He has earned much money from Yao, but he is still not willing to trade some good players. He has no notion of the means of Champion to a player. What he care most is how much money I can save.
    I don’t think Yao can play any more without a backup and without a good PG, juts run on the court from one side to another side.
    Trade Yao please, I represent 70% of Chinese Fans of Yao. Maybe Yao is not so tough to be a leader, at least he is a good player. There is no necessity to stay in Houston.

13. rockets_fanatic

It is no coincidence that Yao Ming always gets hurt at the end of the season. The club as a whole needs to take a stand with Yao. We need to sign a center who can block shots and get rebounds to come off the bench.

For the first two months of each season, Yao's minutes need to be limited to 25 minutes per game. We showed this season that we can win enough regular season games with Yao and Tracy playing limited minutes to get close to homecourt.

Yao plays 35 minutes a game throughout the regular season then his body fails in the Play-offs. So we have to limit his playing time to take the wear and tear off of his body.

Next season starts in the off-season. Look at as many big guys and draft a point guard.

14. lalala902102001

The Rockets will not trade Yao Ming anytime soon unless he forces his way out of town, which knowing the kind of person Yao is I don't see him doing.

I think that most Rockets fans should be optimistic about the team's future after this year's run, and Yao should be too. Yao Ming will be part of the Rockets' future (can't say the same about TMac, though).

If the Rockets trade Yao, they will not get equal value in return, because now everyone in the league knows Yao's history of foot problems. In a way Yao is already damanged good. You will not get a young star for Yao Ming on the trade market. The best you can get is probably a mid-level star with a bad contract and/or a few picks.

The Rockets and Yao's people have to figure out something that will keep him healthy till the ends of seasons. He almost made it this year -- he did play a lot of games (77 regular seaosn games + 9 playoffs games + however many games he played for China last summer). If Yao's body can only handle 85 games a year, he should take 20 games off during the regular season. Shaq used to do that in his prime. Yao should also stop playing for China during the summer. He has done enough for them. The Rockets should also find out whoever Big Z's doctor was and call him. Ilgauskas was almost retired with his recurring foot problems; and now he rarely misses a game. There must be something they can do to strengthen Yao's bones so he doesn't break them all the time. I just don't believe that there is nothing we can do but to accept that Yao will always have these fractures in his lower extremities.

And finally, these threads need to die because these speculations are pointless. The bottom line is that the Houston Rockets will not trade Yao Ming because of basketball and financial reasons.

15. greydawn

greydawn Member

Yao is still a part of the Rockets and lets behave like a team ,all of you. Keep cheering for Ron,AB, Batman and Scola!
    Damn,why that i keep feeling that this team is going to collapse and rebuild.
    Fed up with those "trade XXX we will be better" stupidity.

16. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

Great post. On a side note, I hope Yao doesn't have to play in any meaningless asian games this off season (for the record I'm asian, too, just wanted to get that out there any case any1 one of ya'll get all sensitive and try to pull the race card).

If we limit Yao to an average of 65 games I season I can see him producing close to 25 points a game (just like his 2006 season), and not to mention he should have enough rest come playoff time.

17. rockets_fanatic

If we won't be able to get equal trade value for Yao, what makes anyone think we can equal value for McGrady?

We don't have to worry about yao's contract till the end of next season. It is as simple as this. We try one last time with Yao, McGrady and Artest. If we fail and have the same drama's and we re-asses at the end of next season.

We can not re-sign Tracy and have 20 Million of cap space. There is no way we will lose Yao, so we have cap room to sign him, then additional cap room for a Joe Johnson or hell, even Dwayne Wade or Chris Bosh. Try one more year, re-asses at the conclusion.

18. aws311

aws311 Member

you might be surprised.
    from some of his interviews, esp in Chinese, I feel Yao would choose to retire NBA before too old to fight. so maybe a 3-year 50M contract with talented teammates is good enough for him, as long as Yao is convinced there is a good chance for a ring.
    keep it in mind, Yao would not fight for $$$ any more. American may not be able to understand. There are and were many such figures in China, to you knowledge.

19. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

From the looks of tonight, the Rockets BETTER be able to afford Yao Ming.

:D :D :D

20. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

I agree with this assessment.

Next year, if the stars and planets align, and we resign Ron Artest this summer...we give our Big Three one last giant championship PUSH. We will have all the pieces back from this year and hopefully some further upgrades in the backup center position, then we make our move.

IF we can stay healthy and keep everybody on the court come playoff time, I seriously like our chances at a championship. After that, who knows? Maybe we keep everybody, maybe we let McGrady go, pray Yao Ming choose to stay so we can attract another superstar perimeter player.

But let's not think too far. Next year is our last chance with this squad and I feel it is when we will peak as a team. The 1st round curse is no more. Next year, we set our sights on the REAL prize!