1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Camby unlikely to return; in Heat next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

NY has unguaranteed contracts, Miami doesn't.

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Yeah, but the Sixers pick is much better than any of the crap the Knicks can offer.

3. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

A shame but Camby was trying to get Dragic to come back, with Dragic gone, I am sure he knows we are in for a year or two of crap. His people are telling him to go after a contender at least and based off their moves with the other FA, I doubt the Rockets Front Office is convincing him to stick around either.

4. teebone21

teebone21 Member

send him to the knicks not the heat. Spurs could use him the most though

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I wonder is Dexter Pittman would be worth a gamble? With the sixers pick of course

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Precisely as I suspected. The Rockets aren't interested in taking back any guaranteed salary in a Camby S&T.

Miami has nothing in the way of non-guaranteed deals. New York has enough.

Here's hoping they can get New York to give up multiple second rounders. Maybe swap rights on their first round pick in 2013, 2015 or 2016 (lower of theirs and DEN's).

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Speaking of S&Ts if outgoing FAs, I am thinking Courtney Lee may be a candidate as well. At least one of the teams chasing Courtney will likley only have the $3 mil MLE to offer him, so I am thinking something like a S&T with him going to Chicago at $5M/year for, say, Rip Hamilton plus a tacit agreement not to match Asik would work for both teams. This allows CHI to pay Lee more than other bidders only willing or able to pay the $3 mil MLE, while using it's $3 mil MLE on Kirk Hinrich without entering tax territory. For HOU it assures them landing Asik while adding a guy on an expiring deal ($1M guaranteed in 2013/14) who could be perfect as a mentor for Jeremy Lamb (both use screens a lot, even went to the same college).

The cap math can be balanced out with a simultaneous Livingston ($1m guaranteed) for Watson ($0 guaranteed) deal so that this trade can be done before HOU makes offers to both Asik and Lin.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

We can buy second rounders though. First rounders aren't for sale anymore, much less ones in the 15-20 range.
    Better yet, you wouldn't have to buy this pick, so you don't lose any of the $3M you're limited to in sending out in trades.

So, I don't quite understand why we wouldn't be interested in a sign&trade with the Heat. What's the difference between taking on James Jones and taking on Derek Fisher? The Philly pick is more valuable than the Mavs pick was at the time.

9. Fullcourt

Can we do that with our current condition on our pick?

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Call me stupid. I'd rather have Camby for 3 years/$9 million and no second rounders than to pay Asik $25 million over the next 3 years. If we don't make serious changes ot this roster, we aren't going anywhere anyways. And if we do make serious changes to this roster, it most likely will be at the center position anyways. In that scenario, Asik becomes what he is in Chicago, a 15 minute a night back-up.

I think Camby is making a mistake in not waiting until July 11 to see what happens with the home team.

11. Carl Herrera

I'd imagine the Rockets would take on a guaranteed contract or two (not so much longer deals like Joel Anthony, but smaller ones like Pittman and James Jones) if Miami is offering a significantly better draft pick (Philly 1st rather than a 2nd rounder). Either I am wrong or maybe Miami isn't offering the Philly 1st rounder.

Also, thinking about what difference a small amount of guaranteed contract means to the Rockets flexibility. Right now, no more guaranteed deals coming back = the Rockets can sign offer sheets with both Asik and Lin while having the cap room to either sign Aaron Brooks right away or maintain their Bird Rights on Courtney Lee (if a Brockman dumping trade as outlined by Bima is done). If Lin's (or Asik's) contract is matched, then the Rockets can probably both sign Brooks and keep Lee's Bird Rights (by un-renouncing him).

This makes me think that perhaps they have something in the works involving Courtney Lee-- either a contingent plan to sign him if Lin or Asik is matched or to S&T him in a deal. Courtney Lee is receiving interest from a number of teams, but it looks like some of them just don't have the cap room/exception to offer him what he wants (and the fact that he hasn't signed yet despite becoming unrestricted a few days ago should tell us something). Having the Rockets being able to work out a S&T involving him could be key to him getting paid.

#111 Carl Herrera, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  12. Fullcourt

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Also, there is another team entering the Camby mix: The Nets. Sources say Brooklyn GM Billy King is pursuing Camby "pretty hard."</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/221714560703397889" data-datetime="2012-07-07T21:17:25+00:00">July 7, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Fullcourt

Camby postpones Heat visit; sign and trade discussed; Van Gundys, others react to Allen pickup

14. vernonmaxwell86

getting anything for camby is a win

if morey can pry a 1st rounder out of a camby S&T that would be outstanding

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Cole and a pick would be awesome

16. Carl Herrera

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...n-gundys-others-reaction-to-allen-pickup.html

Seems the hold up maybe MIA's unwillingness to give up Cole. Maybe HOU is showing more interest in the NYK package for the moment to perhaps get MIA to give up Cole.

17. Fullcourt

I wouldn't let Cole be the deal breaker. Fun to root for, but he's not all that.

18. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Im all for the developing these youngsters.. Lamb/Royce/Donuts will get invaluable minutes, they have the most upside on this roster.. trade Scola and Martin for draft pick considerations, I love the idea of tanking to get our elsuive superstar via draft
    the Texans builds through the draft, Rox need follow that model

''its time''

19. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Cole is good but Ill be fine with draft picks, 1st & 2nd

20. ASAP_Kyleon

ASAP_Kyleon Member

Norris Cole S&T

Norris Cole for Camby in a sign and trade is being thrown around, with his recent performance in the finals would you be comfortable with him as our starting PG??