1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Camby unlikely to return; in Heat next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Swamprocket

Swamprocket Member

possible Camby for Dexter Pitman?

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Is this not accurate?

Edit: Yeah, they have the Sixers first. Possible to pry it away?

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/14991/heat-draft-moultrie-deal-pick-to-sixers

#62 Icehouse, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. Relentless

Relentless Member

Bimathug is the best poster on the bbs. How did you gain so much knowledge? Anytime I see your posrd, I know it's well worth reading.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice thought. As I mentioned in my other thread, it's in our interest for the Knicks to be good to help keep down Toronto. We gave up a 2nd rounder to get Camby at the deadline, so if we can get that back in a sign & trade, that's a terrific deal.

Would love to get that Philadelphia pick from Miami. I think they're a bubble playoff team, and it will likely be mid-teens (like it was this year), with an outside chance of them falling off the tracks and becoming a lotto pick a few years down the line. I think that may be hoping for too much, but we'll see I suppose.

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

RealGM usually has their draft picks database updated pretty quickly: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Anyway, I already brought this up in the other thread, but I'm not sign&trading Camby to the Knicks for a crappy 2nd rounder. I want that Sixers 1st round from the Heat. :)

So, my question is, with the Heat not having any great trade fillers, could the Rockets and Heat do a double sign&trade with Camby and say Turiaf or would it not be possible due to BYC?

From my understanding it would be possible, if (1) the Rockets have $1.6M in cap space, (2) Camby agrees to a deal starting at $3M and (3) the Rockets would sign Turiaf to a deal for $4.6M.

However, I tend to always screw up these things, so I could be totally wrong. My math is ($3M/1.25%-100k)*2 <-BYC.

Would this be possible?

7. HMMMHMM

Also, from last night:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Source says Houston would consider sign-and-trade with any team for Marcus Camby if Rockets like what they could get back. Miami Heat in mix</p>&mdash; Chris Tomasson (@christomasson) <a href="https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/221413847624454144" data-datetime="2012-07-07T01:22:29+00:00">July 7, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Another source says Rockets could be enticed by Heat in sign-and-trade for Camby with draft picks and/or veteran who could mentor young guys</p>&mdash; Chris Tomasson (@christomasson) <a href="https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/221414377067257856" data-datetime="2012-07-07T01:24:35+00:00">July 7, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Source: Marcus Camby Miami visit unaffected by Ray Allen decision. That's after another source said earlier Houston open to sign and trade</p>&mdash; Chris Tomasson (@christomasson) <a href="https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/221440536161161218" data-datetime="2012-07-07T03:08:32+00:00">July 7, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>If Heat used Joel Anthony in sign-and-trade for Camby, Camby could get about $4 million. Heat might have to throw in $3M and 1st-round pick</p>&mdash; Chris Tomasson (@christomasson) <a href="https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/221451677373431808" data-datetime="2012-07-07T03:52:48+00:00">July 7, 2012</a></blockquote>

Yeah, not touching Joel Anthony though.

---

Looking at the Heat salaries, another possibility might be James Jones and Dexter Pittman (plus the Sixers 1st) for Camby.
    Camby could get up to $2,942,986 that way by my math.

Jones has a player option for $1.5M after this year, so I assume he'd fall in the same category as Derek Fisher, regarding a potential buyout.

Ray Allen makes Jones expendable, Camby makes Pittman expandable. Heat are in it to win now anyway.
    Morey showed in the Lakers trade that he's willing willing to take on a slight cap future cap hit for a future first round pick.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

pretty cool that we can even get a pick from a guy that is leaving...even the possibility of a 1st rounder...is just amazing..

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bima,
    4 questions:

1. Do you see a Camby sign and trade being an option with the rockets getting that 6ers 1st rounder from Miami?

2. Do you see a way where Houston can get something for Courtney Lee instead of letting him walk for nothing?

3. Is there any way to alter the Jermey Lin offer sheet so that it's not poisonous to the rockets, but rather, too poisonous for the Knicks to match?

4. Are you a superhero?

10. lr22

lr22 Member

Morey doesn't like him because he isn't a PF.

11. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Hell no to Joel mf Anthony and that pittbul. Can we promise Camby a S&T if he signs with us and then say they couldn't get something good so they keep him? I know it's bad but it sounds likes something Morey would do.

12. HMMMHMM

No. Not possible.

13. anchel

anchel Member

I thought he might accept our 2.5 MLE, No home discount? Or we are absolutely not interested in signing him?

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Can I ask why? Is there a special contract or obligation for Houston to immediately trade him after they sign him?

15. Carl Herrera

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/heat.jsp

I don't see the Rockets taking Joel Anthony-- still got 3 years under the contract. Also, the Heat probably need him. Diminished role in the playoffs, but still need somebody for the regular season grind and in the quite likely case that Camby will be injured at least for some stretches.

Same goes with Mike Miller, who has even more money left. My guess is he might force Miami to use their amnesty on him so they can save on the tax and he'll still get paid.

James Jones, who might be retiring, could a part of it: $1.5M in 12/13 and a $1.5M player option afterwards. Fits the "veteran mentor" role if he hangs around, if he voluntarily retires (and gives up the $) or even workout a Fisher buyout, the Rockets can walk away with a fairly small cap hit, which would be worth it if they get a draft pick.

Besides Pittman and Turiaf, another candidate for a "throw in" to add to Jones' salary may be a signed and traded (wait for it...) Juwan Howard. Nobody more veteran on that team than Juwan. Not a bad guy to have in the locker room to mentor the young guys. Worst case you pay Juwan $1.35M ($500K reimbursed by the league) to go away as part of the price to get a draft pick.

The two of them together will allow Camby to make more than $3.5M by my count (though my guess would be he gets paid the same as Ray Allen-- don't want to even risk creating petty jealousy).

It seems that Camby by himself might not be enough for that Sixer pick. Maybe throw in something else for them-- like Jon Leuer for $1 in a parallel trade? Leuer actually earned minutes as a rookie and MIA can certainly use another guy you can trust getting minutes.

16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Who's your daddy?!

17. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I want j. anthony for camby!

18. Carl Herrera

Not that he isn't old and diminished, but Miami cannot afford to trade away a guy who averaged 35+ mpg in the finals.

19. HMMMHMM

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q89

You might be right, but the Heat are in a win-now mode and Camby would be another great addition for them -- and in all likelihood much more useful than some rookie the Heat picked somewhere from 15-20.

So I say if the Heat want Camby, let them pay the (steep) price.

20. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Thanks for the info.

To Carl Herrera: would you serious like Juwan back?? Might as well keep Scola, he's a veteran and actually a guy we all like and can still play.