1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Camby unlikely to return; in Heat next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Chicago matches Asik, we don't get Dwight, and all of a sudden we got the same thing at center as we got at point guard....a whole lotta nuth'n.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If Chicago does not match Asik then I guess its Asik and Motiejunas at the 5 spot. If not Asik, then Motiejunas is going to see a lot of time at the 5.

4. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Damn if NY matches Lin which I think they will

and if somehow Chicago matches Asik

No Lowry and Dragic

we aint got ............. [​IMG]

5. Carl Herrera

Why do you care? You are the one who kept on telling us we are gonna get Dwight Howard, aren't you? :p

Hope the Chicago don't match, but if they do, I'm fine with using the center spot to give one of the young PFs more playing time.

6. TheMegan

TheMegan Member

Well. Shabazz here we come!! :)

7. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

Greg Smith is ready to dominate.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I am hoping for Dwight. But the way this offsesaon has gone so far, I'm starting to wonder if he gets traded to San Antonio and then Royce White goes down with torn ACL the first game of summer league. We are snake bit.

9. TheMegan

TheMegan Member

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Why would he stay other than living in Houston? Camby would be great in Miami.

I really don't care if the Rockets get shut out. Let the young guys play and nail down a top 3 pick.

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Darn it, Camby hustled and was easy to root for. I appreciated his effort.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good. Tear that **** down. All of it.

13. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

[​IMG]

Good, keep blowing this thing up, if you can snag Howard great.. If not, then we're in great position to get a superstar..

I hope that Lin and Asik both fall through, more money spent for the Bulls and Knicks who ARE THE BIG TIME TEAMS THAT MOST PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY FOR.

Let's save our money for a worthy free agent to add to our franchise corner stones

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Guys, why are any of you the least bit surprised by this???

Marcus Camby's cap hold is $16.6 million. In order for the Rockets to have ANY CAP ROOM WHATSOEVER, they were going to have to either (a) renounce their rights to Camby or (b) immediately sign Camby to a new deal before being able to make any offers whatsoever to outside free agents. That latter choice was never even an option.

This was inevitable. The only conceivable scenario for Camby to stay has always been for him to agree to the $2.575 million "Room" Exception (maximum two-year deal for a total of $5,265,875). He was always going to get larger offers from contenders like Miami (which can offer him the full Taxpayer MLE, a three-year deal for a total of $9,687,150).

[EDIT: Camby still could be offered some of the Rockets' cap space if they strike out with Asik and Lin and fail to sign a decent free agent point guard. Still very unlikely, as Camby doesn't want to wait around all summer to see what the Rockets do and risk missing out on offers from contenders.]

I was actually thinking yesterday about how to try to salvage SOMETHING for Camby via sign-and-trade. I think the best plan (again, considering that Camby is gone regardless and that the Rockets cannot take any salary back if they want to honor their offer sheets to Asik and Lin) would be to sign-and-trade Camby to the Knicks for some combination of the non-guaranteed contracts of Dan Gadzuric, Jerome Jordan and Josh Harrellson (all of whom would be promptly waived) and New York's 2014 second round pick.

(FYI, the Rockets owe a top-40 protected 2013 second rounder to Atlanta [David Andersen trade] and an unprotected second rounder a year after that to Milwaukee [Samuel Dalembert trade], so it would be nice to stock some second rounders back.)

Getting a second rounder for a guy who's walking out the door is not a bad deal.

It's just funny how most Rockets fans didn't know Camby's departure was nearly inevitable from the start.

#14 BimaThug, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Besides, HE'S 50!

16. Carl Herrera

Not sure if his exit was inevitable. If either or both of Asik and Lin get matched (and it looks like at least Lin will), the Rockets can have enough cap room to both sign one of the PGs left on the market and give Camby a contract that is a little bit above the tax-payer MLE, no?

For example, if the Lin offer get matched and the Rockets waive Shaun Livingston, they would have $10.7M in cap room, you can give Camby a starting salary of $3.5M and still chase a FA with $7.2M. If Asik gets matched, it's even more room.

Feigen said the issue is that Camby can't really afford to wait out all this given that his other suitors (NY, MIA, etc.) may go elsewhere with their money rather than wait for him to decide.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I love Camby. This sucks. Will suck even worse if he goes to Miami. Don't care if it was inevitable. Still sucks.

18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

S&T possible with the Dallas pick for Eric Bledsoe?

19. thejav

thejav Member

Miami would be more of a lock to repeate then they already are if camby signs with them.. id do it if I was him..no shame in chasing a ring at the end of ur career...

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Bima, any chance NYK will trade a first in a S&T? Or is a second all we can hope for?