1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Calvin Murphy indicted amid sexual abuse allegations by daughters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2657580

A grand jury indicted former Houston Rockets star Calvin Murphy today on six counts of sexual abuse, accusing him of molesting his five daughters when they were under the age of 14.

Murphy, 55, from Sugar Land, formally pleaded not guilty to the charges that were filed in March. He has maintained that the allegations stem from a dispute with his family members over money.

"Every time I hear these charges, it just eats at me; I get emotional every time I hear what is alleged," Murphy said outside the courtroom, as tears rolled down his cheeks. "I'm looking forward to my day in court."

The legendary Rockets player and TV commentator is accused of fondling or performing oral sex on the girls between 1988 and 1991, when they ranged in age from 6 to 13. He faces three counts of indecency with a child and three counts of aggravated sexual assault.

Murphy remains free on $20,000 bail. If convicted, Murphy could receive five years to life in prison for the aggravated offenses and two to 20 years for the indecency violations. He also could be eligible for probation because he does not have a criminal history.

Assistant District Attorney Lance Long said the grand jury had been considering the case for several weeks. He said he was confident that the case against Murphy was a strong one, but acknowledged that it is ultimately Murphy's word against that of his daughters.

"If a child or even an adult is raped or sexually assaulted, it's the word of the perpetrator against the victim. It's the same way if you were robbed in the parking lot and you were the only witness," Long said.

Defense attorney Rusty Hardin said Murphy opted not to testify before the grand jury.

"Nobody has heard his side yet," Hardin said.

The former Houston Rockets star, who is on leave from his job as an analyst on Rockets telecasts, "adamantly insists that he is innocent of these charges and is anxious to present his side to a jury at trial," Hardin said.

He said the indictment was expected and "it is important for everyone to remember that the grand jury has not heard from Calvin nor many witnesses on his behalf that insist these allegations are absolutely untrue."

Murphy, a guard for the Rockets from 1970 to 1983, has 14 children by nine women.

In 1980-81, he made 78 straight free throws in one stretch for a record single-season percentage of .958.

The 5-foot-9 player averaged 17.9 points and shot 89.2 percent from the line during his NBA career. He was a high school star at Norwalk, Conn., before moving on to Niagara University, where he averaged 33.1 points.

He was drafted in the second round in 1970 by the San Diego Rockets, who moved to Houston the following year. His 17,949 points were a franchise high until Hakeem Olajuwon surpassed him.

Murphy was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 11 years ago and his number hangs retired at Toyota Center.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Did ya have to bring this to the forefront during such a happy time in rocketland?

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

I hope the truth comes out -- whatever it is. But I don't want these allegations to be true.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Sorry.

It was really big news and I had to share. It's sad to see this happening.

5. Cesar^Geronimo

14 children by 9 women

I have no respect for him even if he is innocent

6. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Then you must hate a lot of professional players.

7. feishen

feishen Member

Wilt put that to shame. :D

8. Cesar^Geronimo

I don't hate them -- I just have trouble respecting someone bringing children into the world when there is no way he can play a major role in their life.

Wilt had sex with alot of women but I don't recall him having alot of children. It's the kids I am concerned about not sex between consenting adults.

9. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Can't have kids without unprotected sex :D

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

No question Calvin has issues with having kids. But, that is his past. What he does now is what is important. I wish him and his family the best. If he is guilty, he should go to prison. If he is not (which I sincerely hope), he should be completely exhonerrated.

11. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

So your saying Wilt was ok because he just had sex with out having kids. but Murphys bad because his sex led to children?

12. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

one of my friends mothers, is best friends with calvin murphys ex wife, calvin murphy's ex wife told my friends mom, that he is indeed guilty of what he is being accused of..

take it a grain of salt if u like, just what i heard

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

That was your post 69...

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

your friends, mothers best friend? That's three degrees. That's how far removed from Kevin Bacon I am for crying out loud.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

this is the type of post that solicitors can use to shut down web sites/forums.