1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Budinger looks to get his edge back for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketfanatic2, Jul 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Rocketfanatic2

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

he'll be fine, he wasn't really looking for his shot and brought the ball up a few times with Blazers' full court press during Sunday's game.

His play against Babbit was interesting since a lot of people on here wanted him, he is pretty much the same mold.

3. devilsdandruff

[​IMG]

Chase needs better looking sneakers.

4. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

As constructed now:

PG - AB Lowey

Wings - Martin Ariza Battier CBud

Post - Yao Scola Hayes/Anderson(depending on matchup)

He is in the 9 man rotation.

He wont have a choice but to bring his A game when he is on the floor with the vets we have. Hayes Battier Scola and Ariza are pretty vocal about their teammates being in defensive position. His D will be tons better when has the best defensive floor coaches in the league talking him into position on the court at all times.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is a player that needs other good players around him, much like Brent Barry, the better surrounding players, the better he looks.

He is not a go to guy....

That being said, he has looked disinterested in this year's Summer league...and honestly a bit dissappointing.

DD

6. Prince

Prince Member

probably thnking about all the free agency thing..

7. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

Budinger's shooting has been the biggest disappointment. I was really shocked that he was even making 36% from the field and his 25% from behind the arc is just terrible. Playing against SL competition, he should be shooting much better.

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

This is evidentiary as to why Chase dropped as far as he did in the draft. For all the talent he has, he lacks the consistent drive, the "chip on the shoulder" that his star contemporaries possess. While there is nothing in and of itself wrong with "taking what the defense (gives you)", the true studs of the league force defenses to react to them. Chase is happy with just being a cog, albeit in contrast to his God given talents.

9. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

I agree, Chase's game is more in a supporting type role than being the lead player. That said, he has had the open looks and has not shot very well. Last SL, he showed us a great shooting stroke. I know the Rockets want him to be more aggressive, but it's his outside shooting is what will help & compliment this team the most.

10. DaDakota

I am not sure if it is a "drive" or rather just his game......

Knowing your strengths and weaknesses at a very early age in the game can help your career.

Chase has a lot of tools......I guess his upside will be dependent upon what he thinks he can be....

DD

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree. He seems to be doing what he did in college. He started off strong and people thought he would develop into a leader and star. But he didn't. While he was still very good, he never took it to the next level.

Who knows, but I think he has the talent to be a lot better than last year.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"He is not a go to guy...."

Then so much for "All Star Cobra Budinger." It's a pity, because he has the physical tools to be more than a role player. Time to tap down the over-the-top enthusiasm for Chase, DD. Past time. I share your disappointment about Chase's performance in summer league. He should have been showing the other cats "how it is," instead of seemingly dailing it in. I'm as big a fan of him as anyone around here, excepting you, but he looks to be a role player and a very productive one. Not bad for where he was picked.

As a sop for your disappointment ( ;) ), I found this blurb in a comment about Rudy Fernandez. Don't know if it's accurate, but seems The Greek is still valued overseas.

Olympiacos won’t sign him. He is asking for 2.5 million euros net. Olympiacos said there big signing of the summer was Spanoulis and they will not pay anyone else that kind of money, even players coming from the NBA. Olympiacos had huge disappointments with Childress and Kleiza and they are not going to spend huge amounts on average level NBA players anymore.

http://www.ballineurope.com/europea...ors-fc-barcelona-portland-trail-blazers-7841/

13. verse

verse Contributing Member

The inner drive...the "motor" if you will...is what fuels the game of any and every player. Chase has the athletic ability to get his shot off at will (via cuts, screens, spot ups, etc.) but doesn't always have that assassin's burning desire to embarrass anyone who thought they could hang with him on the hardwood. Frankly, I'm surprised he doesn't have that edginess to his game. Being a beach blonde white guy, with his athleticism and game, in a predominantly African-American league would give the average person a plethora of motivation.

14. alcatrazpsycho

Fixed. :grin:

15. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

You can thank yourself for the curse. See Vspan and Wafer. What happened to the next Ray Allen!??!

16. DaDakota

Deckard,

You know what is funny, that people don't comprehend what I am saying when I compare Chase's rookie stats to Kobe's....

I am not saying Chase will become Kobe, I am saying that rookie stats are fairly useless.....when trying to find out what a player is or will be...

I guess I need to explain things in detail....lol.

See that is what I think his very top end could be, a Ray Allen or more like a Peja type.....

I am not saying he will get there, but it will be fun to watch.

DD

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This is the analysis you should have given all year, rather than the pie-in-the-sky rants about his potential.

18. DaDakota

Why? This is what I think he will be, but we don't KNOW what he will become.

He might be the next Ray Allen, Reggie Miller or Peja Stoyakovic, or he might be the next Brent Barry.

My point has always been that we just don't know....and we should just enjoy the ride.

People always give up on rookies too early....let's look at Chase through year 2 and then flip him if we have to......

But after his promising rookie year? No thanks.

DD

19. Rocketfanatic2

Agreed. Too early to know what he'll become or if he becomes anything other than a role player. I certainly have high hopes for him, and I think he COULD become a Ray Allen or a Reggie Miller, but only time will tell.

20. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Well he sure showed up in the last summer league game. That's the Chase I want to see more on a consistent basis.