1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Bosh will be a key piece of Rockets' puzzle

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by agentkirb87, May 3, 2010.

1. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6985746.html

This was what I was talking about earlier to the people that think we could get away with trading for Bosh with basically just Hill, a pick or two and expirings. He has Toronto somewhat by the balls, but not completely. If he doesn't work with Toronto to get a sign and trade, he's leaving 30 million dollars on the table.

2. thekad

thekad Member

And Toronto leaves everything on the table.

So they'll look for picks and expiring contracts coming back. They don't have any leverage.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

To say Toronto doesn't have any leverage is false. There is a halfway point between both parties. With the way Colangelo spoke of the situation, it seems as though Toronto is willing to be reasonable to help Bosh out and Bosh will try to do the same. I believe we are in a fortunate situation with the assets we've acquired and the state of our franchise. All we can do now is wait.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

share more new things with us!

#4 HAYJON02, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  5. thekad

thekad Member

Toronto only has as much leverage as Bosh gives them. If Bosh wants to come to the Rockets, then he'll be coming to the Rockets for picks and fringe rotation players - nothing that will get in the way of Bosh having a championship team around him. For all intents and purposes, Bosh will be making this trade, not Colangelo.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

People are forgetting about the money. Toronto can let Bosh walk for free, in a sign and trade they would have to take on 15 million dollars worth of salary, so somebody has to offer them a package worth taking on that money.

7. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

You say that Toronto wouldn't call Bosh's bluff because they wouldn't get anything for him. At the same time, you could say that Bosh wouldn't call Toronto's bluff because if they decide they don't want to make a trade unless they get something decent in return (ie, more than Hill and two picks), they could completely shut out Bosh and he leaves 30 million dollars on the table.

Think about this hypothetical (and this is probably really close to reality if we offer just Hill and 2 picks):

1. Assume Bosh wants nothing more than to go to Houston. It's his #1 choice.
    2. Assume Houston wants to try and get Bosh in a steal (Hill and 2 picks)
    3. Assume the other parties interested in Bosh are offering regular deals (Miami offers Beasley, picks and a trade exception; OKC offers Green, picks and a trade exception, Knicks offer whoever, Nets offer whoever, etc).

This is how I think they hypothetical would play out. Bosh would "demand" a trade with Houston. We would offer Hill and two picks. The other teams "in the running" will offer their slightly better deals. Toronto I think would tell Houston to stfu and try and convince Bosh to go to Miami or OKC because they are offering more.

This next part is key, because most of you for some reason think that Bosh would tell Toronto to stfu and sign with Miami or OKC (he can't sign with Houston obviously) and Toronto has nothing. This is not what would happen. Why would Bosh sign straight up with Miami when he could get traded there and get the extra 30 million?

So what would happen is now Toronto would deal with Miami or OKC as they have the better deals. At this point, Houston could either up their offer to match Miami and OKC, or they lose out on the Bosh sweepstakes.

The only way my assumptions are faulty is if it turns out that OKC or Miami are trying to low-ball Toronto as well. This is possible, but probably not likely, due to the fact that when you have three teams after the same player, they are all going to try and out-bid each other.

Don't get me wrong, we have a shot. But if Miami and OKC outbid us, we have to raise our offer as well.

8. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

I am starting to think all these Bosh talks are just smoke screen from Morey. This is getting way too high profile that Houston wants Bosh. Not Morey's style.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Pretty exciting article, tbh.

10. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

The only way Bosh has complete leverage on Toronto is if the following is true (I like lists, deal with it :) ) :

1. He doesn't care about losing the 30 million.
    2. It's a team with cap space he would like nothing better than to go to, not Houston.
    3. Colangelo is under some unreasonable pressure to get something back that he's desperate.

#3 is probably true to some extent.

It's possible that both #1 and #2 are true. Lets say he wanted to sign with OKC. It's possible that he would rather NOT have Toronto trade with OKC because that means the team gets slightly worse than if he were to just outright sign with them. So in that case he might just willingly leave 30 million on the table so that his team will be marginally better.

Of course, this situation is IMPOSSIBLE if Houston is the team he demands to go to, because he has to get here via trade, which means he has to work with Toronto. And that's when you say he could bluff signing with OKC or Miami, but that is covered in the hypothetical I just posted above.

11. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I personally think we have a 20% chance to land Bosh. It's probably 20% for each of Miami and OKC as well. And then the other 40% are some combination of crazy things like him going to the Lakers or Mavs or Knicks or staying in Toronto.

12. RocketMania1991

This off-season has already been fun to go through.

The thought of a starting lineup of the following is very exciting.

Aaron Brooks
    Trevor Ariza
    Kevin Martin
    Yao Ming
    Chris Bosh

Just looking at the above five it would be difficult to find a team that could match up position by position. Our speed and length would cause huge mismatches.

If we were able to get Bosh that would be awesome, but once again it all hinges on Yao.

I got excited with the trio of Artest/Mcgrady/Yao and I don't want to have another disappointing season.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Toronto will want young talent. picks, and a salary dump. They will probably get two of those, but not all three. Nor do I see Morey taking back a bad contract, because a bad contract hurts flexibility, and that's not how Morey rolls.

14. thekad

thekad Member

I'll put this as simply as I can:

1. Colangelo trades Bosh for something and tries to save his job
    2. Colangelo loses Bosh for nothing and gets fired

Which do you think he is going to choose?

1 person likes this.
  15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Yeah, me too.

16. Rocketman81

Rocketman81 Member

Hill and 2 draft picks wont match with Bosh's salary. We will be offering more than that.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wow Dick Justice with an informed article. I am shocked!

This is the best part and most true.

18. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

You could play that both ways though. The owner could look at it like "well, you let Bosh manhandle you into taking a lesser deal rather than taking a risk, calling his bluff and getting a better return" and then fire him based on that.

Or... if you are Colangelo, you might think "you know... if the best I'm going to get is Jordan Hill and two picks, I'm probably getting fired because that means we have no capspace for a good 2-3 years and our best player is Bargniani. So I'm going to take a risk, call Bosh's bluff and if I can grab a better player, then that would buy me a new contract extension". You could also play it this way.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know how Colangelo will act, but niether should you. We can't make the assumption that Colangelo will be a giant wuss and cave into Bosh's demands.

And of course, you once again completely ignore the fact that in order for that to happen, Bosh would have to leave 30 million dollars on the table. Is Bosh that determined in what team he wants to play for that he would leave that kind of cash on the table?

I think if he's willing to leave 30 million dollars on the table, then he should just outright sign with Miami or OKC or whomever for as much money as they can afford. Don't even bother letting Toronto trade you because that would only make your new team weaker.

19. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sergio Llull and Jordan Hill will be the main pieces going out, imo...