1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron Blog] Rockets update 9/22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Sep 22, 2009.

1. AXG

AXG Member

It's good to see the team playing hard, and Chuck Hayes becoming the next Magic Johnson lol. I also like bringing Salim Stoudamire to camp. He
    is an Eddie House-type player so he brings instant offense off the bench and is a good shooter.

2. tofu--

tofu-- Member

CHUCK IS A FUTURE HOF'ER

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you guys are reading too much into SS

he played in summer league this year for one of the teams and he didnt look impressive at all. he gained a little weight (maybe gone now) but yeah most likely trying to make a training camp roster there maybe arizona ties to Chase got him into the gym but Stoudamire probably not the type of guard the Rockets/Morey are looking for right now with Brooks and Lowry.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

As I recall he fought Roger Mason to the bitter end for the Spur's last roster spot last season but ultimately got cut because of a torn groin. The weight and poor performance might be due to that, I remember reading the Spurs' staff were impressed with the heart and grit he showed during the games, playing with a torn groin and all...

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Salim could potentially be our replacement for Von. He's an offensive talent without the minutes to back up his abilities.

I wouldn't mind having him on the team.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Definitely not a steal; but a deal which makes sense in both directions...alas, it wouldn't be a season maker.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I can't wait to see Chase this year, hopefully he will get more playing time, due to injury, to develop his skill set quicker, so down the road when every ones healthy he can be a solid contributor to a playoff team.

8. rubixrace

rubixrace Member

unless i missed it? but no Pops Mensah-Bonsu mention in off-season workouts?

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Good question. EuroBasket ended two days ago, but Britain hasn't played since September 9th. So you would think he would've been training with the guys at TC.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In one of his response to a blog comment, Feigen said that he saw Pops play some, but he didn't stand out.

#30 durvasa, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  11. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Salim Stoudamire = Luther Head?

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't follow the Spurs camp or pre-season at all last year, but I guarantee you it wasn't Roger Mason he was fighting with for a roster spot.

13. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

i believe it was. roger mason definitely came out of nowhere either last year or the year before...

getting a 2 for 1 for Marc Gasol would be incredible. I would compare it to a Kyle Lowry type move. Gasol has a lot more potential than he shows on that crappy memphis team.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I remember liking Salim when he was drafted, but admitedly haven't followed him much since. My impression of him right now is Eddie House(lite even?), and that doesn't really excite me.

Even though there weren't any major splashes this offseason, it's definitely cool that Morey brought in plenty of new blood. I'm definitely interested in how all these guys adjust, even if they do end up being all busts(blasphemy!).

15. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

He's a better ballhandler than Eddie and brings an inch or two more of size. Plus he's a lefty, which is a plus.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Marc Gasol is a very good player, and he'd instantly be our best option at C (no offense to David Andersen). I would call that a steal, if all we're giving up is Dorsey and Cook.

Even as dysfunctional as Memphis has been of late, I can't see them them making such a move.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I didn't mean to make it sound like a season maker. Cook is junk,and Dorsey is a guy coming off from planter fasciitis to both feet while missing the entire season.
    Sure,he is a local guy for Memphis,but he is likely to be in far more foul trouble than Marc Gasol. I admit I was surprised at his maturity and rebounding. 11.9 and 7.4 is nothing to sneeze at, especially for a guy who is not athletic by any means.
    I concur with durvasa,Memphis is not likely to let him go.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Roger Mason Jr was signed to a free agent contract by the Spurs. He is going to be making 3.78 M in the upcoming season. He had 9.1 points,1.7 assists and 1.6 rebounds with a FG% of .443 in 21 mins a game for the Wizards before he joined the Spurs. Prior to that success in Washington,he was almost totally unknown.

I think Marc Gasol for Cook/Dorsey would be much better than Kyle Lowry since Rafer was doing quite well,despite his obvious shortcomings.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The spurs signed Mason right away with the LLE, before we signed highly sought free agent Brent Barry to the same deal. Mason had stepped up big the year before when Arenas went down. He was no training camp invite.

20. oal

oal Member

How is it not a steal? The Rockets would be giving away a player who is utterly worthless and a player who has seen all of six minutes in the NBA for one of the Grizzlies' best players from last year. Going by several advanced metrics, he was the Grizzlies' most valuable player. And he's only 24. Now, I like Dorsey, too, and he looked good in the summer, but that just nowhere close to a good trade for the Grizzlies.

On the other hand, the Grizzlies are exceedingly stupid, and don't seem to value their own players properly. So it's entirely possible (particularly if Thabeet starts off well) that they'll just give Gasol away during the year.