1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron: Blinebury] Media Day notes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Sep 29, 2008.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2008/09/stop_me_if_youve_heard_this_on_1.html

I'm sure Fran's constant ragging on T-mac will get the most comments but what's more intriguing to me is that Yao has slimmed down a lot this summer. At 303 lbs he's not that far off from his rookie weight. Hopefully having him shed a few pounds will alleviate some of the pounding he gets on his lower body and maybe gain a bit more agility.

2. Michael Phelps

Ah look, it's Blindburry, his fat butt is back.

3. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Lame joke by Blinebury. In one of the pics, McGrady looked heavier than last year, I wonder how many lbs McGrady was weighed at?

4. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Guys come on please, that's some funny stuff for a sports writer. It's media day, give the guy a break. The Artest remark is pretty funny also.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Feigen has said that McGrady looked bigger in person as well, in the upper body. Wasn't sure if that was due to added muscle, or letting himself go. Considering he has apparently been dealing with pain in his knee and shoulders throughout the offseason, I would guess its the latter and he wasn't able to train like he usually would.

6. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Probably also means less dominance in the paint.

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

nonsense, 12 added pounds won't help you dominate. However, 12 fewer pounds WILL help him with quickness and durability/longevity, which will help him dominate down the stretch and into the postseason......

8. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Blinebury is great!

9. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Yao needs to gain more weight, and I mean muscle weight, not fat. He should add like 10-20 lbs. worth of muscle on to withstand all that beating downlow.

10. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Blinebury irritates me too with his incessant ragging on T-Mac, but I actually thought that was a pretty funny joke.

11. itony

itony Member

that joke made me laugh :D

come on guys....

12. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

I don't know Yao losing weight is necessarily a good thing. That 10Ib he lost could be muscle mass because he was out for 5 months.

13. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Fran has become more and more annoying over the years. Chron should put up an article rating system similar to other papers - no doubt it would show public enjoyment of his articles is declining.

14. HombreDeHierro

we're screwed.

15. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i totally laughed at that joke. funny stuff

16. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I don't think you got what I mean.

What I saw from the pictures, Yao's biceps were gone. In previous years, Chinese reporters often addressed how low of body fat Yao has had even he had increased certain pounds to his body weight. Yao was strong in the past couple of years. His weight and his strength are keys that he was able to dominate the paint in the past.

Yao has always maintained low body fat so the losing pounds here could very likely be the muscles and if that's really the case, you'd better be prepared to accept less low post appearance from Yao in the coming season.

I'm sure the organization and his personal trainer are doing their jobs to keep Yao in his best shape. If this is what they think for the best of Yao, so be it.

17. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

There are two ways you could go on this. On the one hand, Yao does need the muscle to hold up in the paint. On the other hand that's 15 pounds less stress on his feet.

If Yao could just stay healthy, The NBA season will get him in the shape he needs to be in. Hopfully Adelman cuts his minutes and save him for the playoffs when we really need him.

18. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Don't care for Fran, but that was definately a funny joke. Almost laughed out loud.

Major bummer about Tracy, but I think it will be helpful for Yao to be at the lower weight. Less stress on the feet, and it can't do anything but help with his stamina.

19. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Fire Fran and hire JCF for chron :D

anyway its nice to hear that yao lost 12 pounds

20. ibm

ibm Member

When asked, besides the Rockets, who else he liked in the Western Conference this season:

"I don't like anybody. I like the Rockets."

this is what i liked the best. quote of the day stuff.