1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] At 7-6, Yao having trouble being noticed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrRolo, Nov 1, 2005.

1. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/rssstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3429594

Rockets center not getting enough passes at low post
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Maybe he could stand on his toes or raise his hand and say "ooh, ooh" like a student trying to get the teacher to call on him.

But Yao Ming is pretty tall standing flat-footed. And he has been with the Rockets longer than anyone. Surely by now his teammates have noticed him. He is the only 7-6, 310-pound guy around. He is the tree that stands out in the forest.

"Sometimes it's hard to believe a guy 7-6 can get lost," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "But he does for us at times."

Getting the ball in the low post has become more complicated than it was for Yao's predecessors. Yao has spent his career with rules that let teams surround low-post players with defenses that were illegal prior to the most recent rule changes.

The art of passing to the low post always has been underappreciated. But it is a skill that has been lacking for the Rockets.

"Looking for a 7-6 guy, I'd just like to see them try," Van Gundy said. "I think if you're cognizant at all, look at the basket, see a massive presence that shoots 55 percent, throw him the ball if you see his numbers."

There is an assumption that if the Rockets looked for Yao more often, he might not be too difficult to find.

The Rockets open the season Wednesday against the Sacramento Kings, against whom Yao averaged
    23 points on 56-percent shooting last season. They then play the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets, who just traded their center, Jamal Magloire, and the Orlando Magic, whose starting center, Kelvin Cato, is hurt.

However, in their last preseason tuneup, with Tracy McGrady out, Yao took only nine shots against the Hornets.

"Nine shots in 30 minutes without McGrady is not enough," Van Gundy said. "It goes back to playing with a big lead and guys just jacking up jumpers — disappointing."

Skilled passers abound
    It also might be frustrating, because the Rockets have surrounded Yao with good passers. The Rockets began last season with a team that Van Gundy said "could have been the worst passing team to ever grace the floor in the NBA, other than McGrady." But they since have added Jon Barry, David Wesley and Derek Anderson, whom Van Gundy considers skilled at distributing the ball.

"There are a lot of guys that cannot feed the post," Barry said. "It surprises me. That's the basic idea of the way we want to play: inside-out.

"Timing is key. The timing aspect is waiting for him to get to that position, anticipating whether he's ever going to get there because you never want to hold the ball. Getting the proper angle is very key. If you're on the floor and the guy is three-quartering him on the side you're on, you want to dribble and get an angle and throw it in. Some guys can't do it."

The Rockets also have emphasized getting Yao the ball without forcing him to lunge for it. Where Hakeem Olajuwon could dance in and out of low-post position, and Charles Barkley could hold his man off long enough to pick up an anvil, the Rockets have determined that Yao is at his best when he does not lose his leverage while reaching for a pitch that is high and outside.

Balancing act
    "Everybody wants to talk about him getting stronger," Van Gundy said. "Yao is very strong. That is not a problem. Balance has been a problem sometimes. Mobility has been a problem. Our passing in to him has been a problem.

"Yao sometimes catches in great position, but because he is off-balance, sometimes he has to bounce it, which gives guards time to get back down, double and knock it away."

With few exceptions, if opponents prepare for anything, it is defending Yao. But Rockets players say they should be able to handle the pressure and improve their timing to foil defensive help and get Yao the ball.

"If I miss him, it's not him, it's my fault," Rafer Alston said. "He does have guys draped all over him. We have to wait for him to get the space and position he wants. But then, I should be able to pinpoint the pass."

For the Rockets, the bigger issue has been remembering that Yao is there. Although given that defenses tend to interfere, there is more to the problem than that.

"You have to put it where he can catch it, where the defense can't get it," Wesley said. "You want to throw a pass not only where he can catch it, but where he can do something with it.

"But you really just want to be aware of the post."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROCKETS SUMMARY

Painful subject
    Rockets forward Tracy McGrady was less upbeat about his battle with tendinitis after Monday's practice than he was on Sunday. McGrady said he still expects to be ready to play Wednesday against the Sacramento Kings but is worried about lingering issues.

"The four days that I had off really calmed it down a little bit," McGrady said. "There's still some pain in there. I don't know how I'm going to feel on Wednesday, but right now I'm able to go out and move. But there's still pain in there that's bothering me.

"That (the day-to-day) grind really has me concerned because once Wednesday comes there's really not time to take some days off."

McGrady has had tendinitis in the past but said he never has begun a season with knee problems and that "it's never been this bad."

McGrady played in five preseason games, averaging 15 points on 42.6-percent shooting.

"It's frustrating. It really is," McGrady said. "The work I put in the offseason to try to come back better and stronger and to try to make this team get off to a great start ... for this to happen is real frustrating."

Norris on inactive list
    The Rockets decided on their roster for Wednesday's opener, placing guard Moochie Norris, injured guard Bob Sura and forward Dion Glover on the inactive list.

Norris played in four preseason games, averaging 3.8 points on 50-percent shooting and 2.3 assists.

The inactive list may be changed up to one hour before each game this season, the first season without an injured list.

JONATHAN FEIGEN

#1 MrRolo, Nov 1, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. daRox

daRox Member

Now we all know what people kept whining about during the Francis era. :D Those stupid YOFs ;)

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm too the point where I'm wondering if the whole "Yao doesn't get enough touches" thing is overplayed. I used to think not, but I can't honestly believe as many players as we have gone through the last couple of years just absolutely refuse to pass to him.

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I can't say enough about how much I likes this guy already. I have no idea how anyone can how problem with him. Rafer will have a great season with the Rockets, I can just feel it.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

coach says it.. his teammates say it.. so i take their word... plus from watching almost every rocket game... i can say yao needs to get atleast 15~20 shots a game... sometimes he gets 10... thats NOT enough

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I would agree, but part of the reason Yao gets less shots is because of his inability to stay on the floor.

7. user

user Member

So after JVG's comment, you are still using the execuse. Yao did not get enough shots with or without foul troubles.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

you say this after JVG's remarks? cmon man, you sound like one of those RealGM idiots

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We should have picked up Horry when we had the chance. I would pay a couple of million just to teach the other guys the entry pass.

10. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Yeah, Chick used to say that Robert Horry is one of the best post-feeders of all time. :)

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Head active. Moochie inactive.

Good.

12. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

you're very lucky to have a significant other that really knows her bball :cool:

I agree that Yao needs more shots and sometimes its amazing that he doesn't get a lot of shots. I believe the prime factor for it is because of TOs trying to pass to him, and once the defense knows the ball is going to Yao it's easy for them to jump out and steal it because Yao lacks the mobility and quickness to shield off the defender. This can be solved with good entry passers/passes though, as the article states. We have our best p2y (Pass to yao) lineup we've ever had so we should really see
    Yao's shot attempts increase.

13. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

This says it all. The Hornets game was really disappointing from this perspective.

14. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

If someone takes a shot, but gets fouled, it doesn't get reflected in the shot count stat does it?

15. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Exactly, it was clearly evident in the Hornets game. Once we got the big lead, everyone starting jacking up shots playing one on one ball (Anderson, Barry, Wesely). Then in the fish wrap the next day, they all make the same excuses about having to get the ball to Yao more often. It happens time and time again.

16. Nautic

Nautic Member

JVG did not say Yao should be passed the ball when sitting on the bench. What JVG and Jon Barry said was that Yao should get the ball when he is under the post.

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Not if they miss.

18. noize

noize Contributing Member

Yao getting less shot has nothing to do with his inability to stay on the floor. He averages 30min a game last year, which is more then enough to take 12-15 shots in the game.

19. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Exactly, and we're not going to win a ring until Yao consistently gets that many shots.

20. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

This is where discipline comes in. Spurs (probably) won't make the same mistake. I recalled last season in one game, TD went for 1/10 or something like that in the 1st half but their teamates still threw him the ball and he recovered in the 2nd half.

Here? If the shooters feel good about their shot they will look for theirs first instead of looking for Yao. What's wrong with that? Well, what if their shot get cold towards the end of the game? Since they were hot earlier, they will try to shoot themself out of the slump. Then before you know it, the lead is blown and they are behind. Then (only then) they would start to throw Yao the ball, but it could be too late then or Yao's shot is gone due to long stretchs of no touch.

The simple FACT is Yao has the highest shooting percentage in Rockets (yes, Tmac included, shocking huh?), so they shouldn't play against the odds. It's not about ego or confidence, it's about efficiency (at least in the long run).