1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Astros to explore changing Tal’s Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Oct 27, 2014.

?

Do you like Tal's Hill (and the flagpole)?

Poll closed Aug 23, 2015.
  1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    56.2%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Don't care either way.

21 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Richie Sexson is glad to hear this.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Baseball doesn't use CF seating because it could potentially make it harder for the hitter to see the ball.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they were going to get rid of it, it should have been done earlier on.

Now, its a part of the nuance of the park... just like the painful brick wall at Wrigley, the massive foul territory in Oakland, the green monster of Fenway, the distracting waterworks of Kaufmann...

What I really would like to see them offer is add some carts on the train that have seats facing the field... and offer those for sale. That would be a cool vantage point for the game (although I'm not sure how easy it would be to go to the restroom, etc.).

4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Good point; forgot about that.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm sure they'll just replace it with a giant wall of advertising.

1 person likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Keep it. I like it for the retro flair.

Rarely does it get in the way anyways.

7. Buck Turgidson

"If You Write a Check for 10 Million Dollars Then Your Opinion Matters" Hill doesn't have the same ring to it.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I like the hill, and the flag

But honestly, I just want us to be relevant again, for something other than the farm and draft picks

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What's wrong with the hill? It's unique and I like it. It's always fun to see a player have to run up the hill to make a play. I think it gives us a home field advantage. Keep the hill!

10. msn

msn Member

repped for sheer nostalgia. love me some Astroworld. [*tear*]
    [​IMG]

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

Please clean the roof while they're at it. That thing used to be white now it's dark yellow

12. msn

msn Member

dirtiness or sun damage?

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

This regime is hellbent on completely destroying the former identity of the organization.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd actually argue that McLane did that far worse.

Changing the colors to his black and red corporate colors for McLane Distribution.

Building retro ballpark with tight confines after establishing identity as pitching/speed teams.

The move away from every thing space themed, including changing Orbit to Junction Jack.

The Astros were bright orange and sort of gave the finger to MLB tradition....McLane made them Selig's pet.

But the football stadium in Waco is gorgeous. I'm told the concourses remind people a lot of MMP.

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I like the hill - hate to see it go. Its unique and adds some charm to the park

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Looks like it will undergo maintenance but no cleaning.

Retractable roof temporarily closed for maintenance

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I may not be the biggest baseball fan, but i absolutely love the hill. Before the demise of the astros and the sell to crane/switch to AL, i was a pretty big follower. Even when they were mediocre at best i enjoyed watching and going to games. My favorite thing about MMP was the train because i was heavy into graffiti as a youth as well as the hill and pole. Well we put billboards over the train already, leaving the hill as my favorite part of MMP.

Its just so dang unique. Its what sets the park apart from the crouwd and obscurity. My favorite parks all have something distinct. The ivy wall, The fountain design, ocean side canoers etc...

It reminds me of a sandlot type atmosphere where someone would build a baseball diamond wherever they could, a pole and a hill in the way? oh well play around it. Its nostalgic and i absolutely love it.

Maybe the purists disagree with me and many others i suppose, I guess a boring ass, generic diamond is cooler... :rolleyes:

18. msn

msn Member

yes!

This purist is right there with you.

1 person likes this.
  19. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Been there. It's one if the worst stadiums in baseball. It has no personality.

20. rudan

rudan Member

Make a decent looking woman lay on the hill and have her take off a piece of her clothes after every win. Kinda like the motivator poster on major league, but with a live woman laying there during every game. Gotta do something extreme.