1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: As Westpark tolls rise, so do tempers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

How did you come up with that, any references?

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it only took 3 years for them to double the tolls, it's not hard to speculate it'll double again in the future...but i don't know about only after a year.

3. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I agree, and I can see it going on the rise again, but I'll eat my words if it doubles AGAIN on Westpark within 12 months time..

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

wonder how far into northeast Harris county they are planning on?

I assume that means they are gonna extend the tollway from 45 thru 59 and around towards 10E.

that would positively suck.

speaking of sucking, I feel for yall out West, that side of town is soooo screwed up it aint even funny.

Thankfully, the traffic out here aint anywhere near as bad...and since I dont have to come further in than Channelview, the only times I hit tollroads is when I go thru Pasadena to visit family or hit 45S to Fry's. ;)

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i would like to say that this has not been my experience at all. not even a little bit.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Westpark Tollway is hell during rush hour. It seems like it clears up around 6:00 going into town, but not until closer to 6:30 heading the other way.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well yeah, the traffic sucks, but it ain't smooth sailing in other parts of the city either. Plus, once the Katy is done (and they're well ahead of schedule from what I've heard), it's going to be a lot better.

It just hasn't affected me all that much. Sure, I'm lucky that I leave at four and not five, but at that time, it's not bad. It takes 20 minutes for me to get from Galleria area to Briarforest. Then, after changing clothes, taking the dog out, I leave there around 4:40 to go to my bar close to Westheimer and Hwy 6. I'm always there before 5:00 when I do this. Not bad at all.

8. MadMax

property values respectfully disagree.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

oh rly??

there is more to life than property values (which aint too bad out here either, been going steadily up since Ive been out here)

traffic, crime....either one of those ring a bell?

how many times do you hear on the morning news about horrible backups on the east side?

you dont.

Katy freeway, westpark, west loop, 59S....all known high traffic area....all on the west side

how many times do you hear on the news about the high level of crime on the west side?

very often.

thats what i meant about messed up....in relation to a traffic issue like this thread is about.

10. MadMax

ummm..we're talking different west sides! :)

we have traffic problems. but the crime rates in the area i'm talking about...77024 and 77079 are ridiculously low for a big city. the schools are fantastic. and the property values are rising like crazy. as my business partner says, this area of town is what West U was 20 years ago.

southwest has crime problems. no doubt. but stay north of the bayou...east of highway 6...south of I-10...and west of the loop.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I really dont want yall to get me wrong, Im not "hatin" on Houston in general.

I just hear all the complaints about the suburbs and traffic, and its simply things I dont see out here. Then I hear about all the things going on that people are complaining about, and they are all on the west side of Houston...so for someone who has never lived out there (lifelong east side resident) its easy to not know the difference between your area (which Im sure is quite nice, you *are* a family man and a lawyer) and the areas that get the bad press.

but for all the grief the suburbs get, yall gotta recognize that they arent all as bad as they are madeout to be.

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

ROFL. I grew up in 77024, and I just moved yesterday to 77079.

13. Pocket Rockets

my dad works for mta.

pretty much get a some inside info here and there.

14. MadMax

i grew up in 079...and live today in 079. i work in the 079 too. :)

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Dude that side of town is living hell.

16. MadMax

your mom

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Ocassionally driving on Westpark Tollway at night, I see a police officer has pulled someone over for apparent speeding. This is near the Fondren exit.

My question is where and how is the cop able to hide on Westpark Tollway since its a two lane highway?

18. yc324

yc324 Member

They get your DL#, license plate #, and invoice you. You end up having something like 7 days to pay for the toll in the mail. Several co-workers of mine visited Houston without thinking about the toll roads and ended up having to do this.

19. Fatty FatBastard

Maybe what West U was 50 years ago. 20 years ago, West U was still 5-10 minutes from downtown.

I've lived in Houston my whole life for the most part. The west side is and will always remain being what it is until something decent moves traffic. If you enjoy staying in the suburbs, that is fine. But don't think for a second it isn't still incredibly far away from the inner city.

Hell. I've been so spoiled recently that I have a hard time going to meet anyone who is outside the loop.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Actually you are given 3 violations before they send you a ticket. So if you just violate the toll once, you are ok.

I had my license plates changed on my car, and I didn't notify the Toll Authorities. I kept driving through the toll as usual, and a week later I got a mailer saying I owed a fine.

I called the Toll Authorities and I explained my plates had been changed, but it was the same car. They took off the toll fine right away, and explained they only send a mailer if you violate the toll three times.

On a side note, whenever I go into the Toll office the people are really nice, and also on the phone. I haven't dealt with nice and understanding public employees in a while.