1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Andre Johnson no longer wants to be a Texan

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You always have to be aware of the quiet ones.

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're right, Donny. The tweets yesterday were indicating he was ready to come back but is hung up on the workout bonus. He's trying to have his cake and eat it to, which is I why I offered up a way to regroup that bonus based on snaps taken and/or team results.
    See above, he's probably understanding he has no leverage and is acting out to try and get something instead of nothing. He could've totally shown up for the workouts and feigned an injury, but he (and his agents) went about it a different way. Sucks for them, but now the question is who blinks and how will it play out for the 2014 season.

I don't blame the Texans for taking a hardline stance, but I do think they can find some sort of arrangement to put the focus back on the team and the upcoming season.

The previous regime would have nipped this thing already, but BO'B is probably wanting the Texans to not cave since he's trying to change the culture and put the emphasis on team versus the individual. I think that is a huge sticking point as McNair and Smith probably don't want to undermine their new HC. Sports is no different than other professions in that certain people get treated differently/better based on performance and perceived value.

Interesting Organizational decision facing the Texans to be sure.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

For everyone that want's 'Dre gone, you would rather have Hopkins, Posey, Martin, and other scrubs?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hmm. Lose or lose bad? Yeah, doesn't matter.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you take out any emotional part of thinking, YES, I would rather have Hopkins and scrubs. If we trade him, we bite the bullet on his bonus for one year, and next year we'd have freed up $15mil in capspace. You know how much that is? That's enough to sign an pro-bowler in his prime and still have enough left over to sign another starter.

Higher pick this year. A ton of extra cap next year. An extra draft pick in the mid-rounds. If Andre Johnson was not Andre Johnson, this would be a no-brainer move for a team in our position.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes, if they actually want to be here.

We had Andre Johnson all last year and where did it get us? We lost 14 games in a row.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Good point ima hahah

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

We had a bad HC all last year too.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Sources: AJ to patriots

#109 fallenphoenix, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Correct me if im wrong but didn't Dre restructure his contract the past three years in favor for the team? Moves that helped them get other players.

I don't get the point of saying that? JJ Watt was a beast all last year and we still lost 14 games in a row.

Are we putting the loses on Dre now?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He "helped the team" by getting more money up front, it's not like he took less money or anything.

12. ima_drummer2k

Of course not, the poster I replied to was saying how horrible we are going to be if AJ isn't on the team this year and I was just pointing out that we can't get much worse than last year when he WAS on the team.

13. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I don't care about record or anything else. I want 'Dre to play his entire career and then go into the Hall in a Texans uniform.

I say don't trade him, if he wants to play the season fine, if he wants to retire fine, if he wants to make a scene constantly then suspend him till he shapes up (fine there too). I don't want Andre to finish his career in another team's uni. Period.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Yes, the Texans asked him to restructure and he did and they gave him some of his money up front and back loaded the rest... And now it's possible they won't honor their end of the contract since they blew money on players like Schaub and Cushing. But AJ has to suffer for that for trusting management and restructuring when they asked.

Do you have season tickets or go to some home games every year...? Because sitting in the stands watching just Hopkins, Posey, and Fitzpatrick throwing to them can get worst. Even though we were losing last year _ AJ still played like a HOF'er.

15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think they materially changed the contract value. They moved money around (converted salary to bonus) to clear room in the current year. In essence, 'Dre got a big check in training camp versus the standard game checks. Where it catches up to 'Dre is his cap hit in future years grows, but his salary doesn't. That's the problem with his contract now (link).

For the next three years, his base salaries are $10MM/$10.5MM/$11MM but his corresponding cap figures are $14.64MM/$16.14MM/$14.675MM. That's the big kicker...

16. ima_drummer2k

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EM_p1Az05Jo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

im sick of it....show up or get fined.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Of course he didn't get less, thats not how restructures work. But Dre restructuring his contract free'd up the Texans make the moves they wanted. Andre could have declined, but he didn't.

Because of the restructures, doesn't that make his cap hit much bigger? Putting him at risk to get cut and not get his money? If he doesn't restructure, he probably wouldn't be cut next year because his cap hit wouldn't be 16M or whatever.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And had he not, he'd be a prime target for a cap casualty right now. Pushing back the guaranteed money is the only reason we can't just dump him now and call it day.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

11 million vs 14 million. He is in danger of being cut with either contract.