1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron:] Alston all Rockets Need at Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tango, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Last year, a 3 point attempt was a turnover. Let's hope that is in the past.

Yes I do... Rafer played a great game, and Lopez's article is still worthless.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Rafer was awesome last night ... basically flawless. He knocked down the open three and he ran the fast break well -- the way he played on both ends was exactly what this team needs.

You can't expect anyone to play that good each night, but if Rafer could be anywhere close to that we'd be fine. But that's the problem -- he wasn't within a 1000-mile radius of that last year, and the people who come out of hiding now couldn't see that before. I mean, it's funny to watch the same people who said the Rockets weren't dependent upon Rafer's shooting try to explain 7 three-point attempts a night. It's also funny to watch the same people who threw a hissy fit anytime someone said anything less than Rafer had a great year last year as a 12-7 guy now say that last year was an aberration.

LOL ... those balls of contradiction and their reading comprehension skills.

If anything, Rafer's improved play has proven why the critics have been criticizing him. He must hit three-point shots efficiently. It's not a "nice-to-have" or a bonus with this team -- this offense absolutely requires it. And when you're playing 35-40 minutes and clanging more than 2 of every 3 open looks on a team with two stars that command defensive attention, you deserve the criticism.

And that's why the Rockets sought a different point guard this offseason. It's why Rafer made working on his long-range shooting his #1 priority this offseason.

It's never, ever been about his playmaking, his ballhandling, his passing... it's the shooting, stupid. Give us a 40% long-range shooting Skip that is making defenses pay for doubling-down on T-Mac or Yao and Rocket fans will get along just fine with him. So far he has shown improvement, and I hold out hope that his improvement is shown season-long (still way too early to tell)... but for the millionth time -- let's not pretend his three-point shooting isn't critical to this team.

3. Omer

Omer Member

Nice post, I'm feelin it.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm absolutely happy that Rafer is doing his job in the hitting the open 3. Please let this be the norm this year.

Also, it's just an added bonus that he can rebound and run the fast break.

Now if his driving floater can stop dropping, Rafer would be an All-Star. But probably asking for too much from the basketball Gods.

Just keep it up Rafer. Go Rockets

5. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

It is critical. My personal beef is that I don't understand how a guy who hits 38%, 39%, 37% and 36% on an increasing 3PA each year for FOUR CONSECUTIVE SEASONS gets labelled a poor shooter.

I was not impressed by his performance last season, but I could say the same about everyone on the team but Yao and Hayes. He was asked to carry a big load, missed a lot of games. and wasn't given the opportunity to build chemistry with a consistent rotation. His defense was fair-weather at best as well.

But I say if he could hit those numbers for four seasons, and he's worked on refining his shot, then I can be confident that he can shoot. He's shown it in training camp, preseason and a couple of regular season games so far. To me that shows that the trend is more likely to continue than go south.

As for his defense, I was impressed last night, just as I was at times last season. I believe there was an in stance where Wesley or JVG praised his defense over a string of games? I'm not too sure about where, when or who though. What I do know is that Billy looks like he'll develop. Sura is giving it a shot as well. Rafer can keep up that kind of defense for shorter minutes, so once the depth kicks in at PG, I fully expect his defensive consistency and offensive efficiency to improve.

I agree with what you're saying. I'm just saying he has earned the reputation of a good-decent shooter, and it's not fair to judge his shooting with that one season. I'm also saying that signs are looking positive. Additionally, he makes 4M a season for a few more seasons, so for what he brings, if he just tries on defense, and hits 36% of his 3's, we're getting our money's worth and it's upto management to solidify the position with a sparkplug player (ideally, Billy or Sura).

I'm proud of the work Alston has put in. I hope we reap the benefits this season. I consider Alston a PLUS on this team based on what we know from training camp, preseason and the first couple of games.

6. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

All Rafers got to do is pass, shoot and "D". I compare him to young Gary Payton. Somewhat? :cool:

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly - nothing more to say. When there's a guy intentionally left open for 3's all the time - he has to make them. Last night was the exception that prved the rule.

Not getting blown up by Terry was another aberration from EZ Pass.

8. SamFisher

Are you serious? No. No. No. Stop posting immediately.

He did play well but he is to gary payton as Chuck Nevitt is to Yao.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Alston is due for a much better shooting season this year. I think his 32% shooting last year, which I agree was abysmal, was an aberration. His 3-point shooting had been above average the previous four years. I'd expect him to be at least over 35% this season, but hopefully closer to 40%.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Funny thing is, Lopez couldn't resist writing a second article about Alston today. From a distance, it's almost like he's saying "I told you so" to Clutch. He has the advantage of the printed medium, and Clutch has the advantage of a bigger, more loyal readership based on his no nonsense, no kowtowing to the man approach...and the fact he watches every game, probably 40 more games than Lopez.

Lopez...did you really write a 2nd article to say I don't you so. Did you feel satisfaction on the heels of Clutch saying your 1st article was from "ignorance." Grow up dude. You can't win here. Clutch knows more about the Rockets than you. Take a lesson for Jonathan Feigen, go to every game if you want to write about the Rockets and thank you know more about them than Clutch City.

that said, thanks for the Alston quotes today. The 2nd article was better than the first.

11. SamFisher

It's not from a distance, Lopez reads this board every day, as any responsible sportswriter would despite the fact that pride dictates that "real" journalists frequently operate under the fiction that HTML opinions somehow don't matter. I'm sure he felt vindicated last night, in fact I bet Mrs. Lopez got laid.

So John if you're reading this, which I know you are, I still think your writing stinks and I could write you under the table; 15,000 posts can't be wrong. Plus I make more money than you. Ha ha ha ha ha.

12. heypartner

You're absolutely right. But the reason why JVG got Alston in the first place, and the reason why he got so many minutes last year, is not because he can shoot lights out (obviously), and it wasn't just because of all the injuries either, it's because he is very safe with the ball. The #1 priority.

13. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

Never Enough
    For years we cried, whined, and pined for a PG who ran the offense, distributed the ball, and above all else, did not turn the ball over. Rafer has undoubtedly been that consistently.
    Now that those wants, needs, and desires, have quietly been sated, we have found a new "point" upon which to gripe. Trust that I am not minimizing the importance of having a PG who can reliably hit the 3 in the offense that we run, but to all the continued bellyaching I offer this: Just as one spectacular game last night cannot erase a suspect 32.7 three point percentage from last season, neither should one suspect season (replete with injuries, adjustments, and the lack of a full complement of capable options) erase a trend of 37.5 three point shooting percentage over the previous 4 years.
    My take is that it would be fairer to wait and judge Rafer by his performance over a full and fair (healthy) season, as opposed to judging him based upon a season governed by Murphys Law.

14. heypartner

moreso than a <b>shooting</b> guard?

15. SamFisher

When he's the one left wide open on the perimeter - yeah.

He's sucking royally tonight. Though he ain't alone. McGrady is also awful toda, again.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Unlike what Rafer lovers did last night, I am all classy and not calling them out after tonight's game. ;)

17. Laozi

Laozi Member

I really don't see how Rafer played a bad game, definitely not as good as last night, but he did reasonably well. Chris Paul is a tough cover, I know he had alot of assist, but alot of those where simply to guys for open jumpers, its not like he was tearing it up in the lane.

18. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

The TEAM did not play up to par tonight.

19. heypartner

as an afterthought and a wee bit of a positive from this game...I saw a nice addition to the Tmac/Yao PnR. TMac gets trapped and Yao is not an immediate target, so TMac passes to Battier in the corner while Yao continues taking advantage of positioning vs the trap of TMac...Battier quick fires it to a posting/sealing Yao ... and for two.

easy money!

If R2K is reading this thread, I have the time mark for on this play.

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Rafer played better tonight than he did nearly all last season. ...and Rafer wasn't the reason we lost tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.