1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: All Systems Go For Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Batman Jones, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

June 18, 2002, 11:39PM

Rockets' attorney: All systems go for Yao
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle
    With just a week remaining before the Rockets hope to make Yao Ming the first pick of the NBA draft, Rockets attorney Michael Goldberg remained confident Yao will receive his letter of clearance in time to be selected.

Goldberg said in telephone interviews from Tokyo on his way back to Houston that his most recent meetings to China confirmed the Rockets' negotiations had been successfully completed. He expected the negotiations between Yao and his representatives and the China Basketball Association and Shanghai Sharks would go as well.

"Yao's representative and the Shanghai Sharks and the CBA are in discussions between themselves," Goldberg said. "Once those get worked out, I expect he will be receiving the appropriate FIBA (International Basketball Federation) release.

"Throughout the negotiations, I continue as an optimist. I believe everything will be worked out. Yao Ming is considered a national treasure. We have to take it step by step. All indications are internally things will work out between them as well as they have with us."

Goldberg emphasized the need for Yao to quickly receive his release from FIBA.

"My understanding is the Shanghai Sharks will tell the CBA they have no objections to the release," Goldberg said. "The CBA in conjunction with the Chinese national team and others in the government will instruct FIBA that they have approved the appropriate release. Once FIBA gets that communication, FIBA tells the NBA he has clearance to play in the NBA."

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

YAOOOOZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!