1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] A positive JVG (Shield the children)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Rockets put hard times to use
    Injuries in 2005-06 taught team how to handle troubles

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4470522.html

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

DALLAS - At first, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy could not identify what had made his team win as it had the past three weeks, or maybe he did not want to sound satisfied with a few good weeks and a rise to the fourth-best record in the Western Conference.

"It's hard to put a finger on, other than we have a good group of guys that try hard," he said. "I like our group."

Then, everywhere he turned, Van Gundy found reasons, from the off-the-charts competitiveness of Shane Battier to the example set by Dikembe Mutombo and Juwan Howard to Tracy McGrady's selflessness and decision-making and Yao Ming's work ethic.

The Rockets have won nine of 11 games since Yao broke his right leg. They swept a road back-to-back in Denver and Sacramento and handled the Jazz and Lakers, both Western Conference playoff competitors.

The Rockets move to another back-to-back against the top of the NBA, visiting Dallas on Tuesday and hosting the Suns a night later at Toyota Center,

"We try hard," Van Gundy said again, offering praise of the quality he values most. "We've got a good group of guys. We've got McGrady. We've got Howard. We've got Battier. We've got Mutombo.

"Every night you try to put yourself in a position to win. Like (Friday at Denver), down six with three minutes to go, showing the mental strength. Those are the things that make or break your season. I think the team should be proud."

Unfortunate preview
    The Rockets have said that last season's incredible run of injuries steeled them for this season's challenge.

Though they have been without three players from their rotation — Yao, Bonzi Wells and Kirk Snyder (who has returned for only occasional minutes since his wrist injury) — during this stretch, a year ago they were without six players from their planned rotation.

"We're more prepared," guard Rafer Alston said. "It helps to have more depth, added firepower. But I think we're more prepared. Last year, it took us by surprise. We were on a team with anticipation and expectations so high. All of a sudden, the injury bug hits you. This year, we know this can happen. I can say we're prepared. We just keep playing.

"All of a sudden, Yao goes down, and we go (9-2). That tells you we're better equipped to handle those situations."

But Van Gundy said it is more than that, citing the examples established before the injuries.

Last season, McGrady went out before the season's second game. This season, he was hurt Dec. 9, and either he or Yao has been out of every game since. But other than the second half against the Clippers on Dec. 23, the night Yao was hurt, the Rockets have not seemed deterred.

"Anybody that is into winning, which I think our players are, will have a keen appreciation of the example set, whether it's Yao coming in early and studying film, whether it's Battier's game-plan concentration," Van Gundy said. "Our guys certainly have a huge appreciation for McGrady's unselfishness.

"Like you hear a lot of talking heads say, the best player has to always take the last shot. What you see him doing is they put two on him, and he puts the ball on target and helps other players excel.
    "

McGrady has mixed his late-game scoring and playmaking so well that Van Gundy put him in an elite class.

"Next to (Phoenix guard Steve) Nash, I think he's the premier decision-maker in the game," Van Gundy said. "I think he's always been that way. I just think people call on different people to do different things depending on what they need for their teams. We need both his scoring and his passing."

Toughened up

That has helped the Rockets win close games they lost without McGrady, as their late rally at Denver and overtime win at Sacramento showed.

The Rockets are 5-3 in games decided by four or fewer points.

"We're playing confident basketball," McGrady said. "If we were in a situation like this last year, I don't think we knew how to close out games. This year, we keep our poise and find some way to get a win."

Put that all together, from the examples set to the poise down the stretch, and Van Gundy said it has led to "chemistry," a catchphrase he usually dismisses as a sports cliché but that has become too clear to be denied.

"I think every coach views it as very important," he said. "Some people value on-the-court chemistry more. Some people value off-the-court chemistry.

"I think they both have a significant (impact on) winning and also on the ability to enjoy the season. And I think enjoying the year does lead to maximizing your own potential as an individual and as a team. It's very difficult to play well if you don't enjoy the group you're with. That doesn't mean every guy is going to go out. It's just we have a good group of guys.

"I would say those guys dull the pain of NBA coaching as much as you can
    ."

It has even been enough for Van Gundy to go from having no answer to explain the Rockets' run to having answers everywhere he looks.

ROCKETS NOTES

Before Shane Battier took a last-minute charge for the second consecutive game, before he needed eight stitches to close the wound left by that charge, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy offered high praise.

"He's the finest competitor I've coached in my 16 years in the NBA," Van Gundy said. "I've been fortunate. I've been around a lot of great competitors. I've never been around a competitor that plays every play, every day like he does.

"The ability to sustain your concentration and your intensity and your focus every play, every day, every practice, every game, it's a unique talent that very few value. But that does have a huge impact on whether you are able to maximize your ability as a team."

Van Gundy described the Corliss Williamson charge, with the Rockets leading the Kings by five Saturday night, as "full-force contact. (Battier) has courage."

But Battier said it was not his most painful hit.

"Most of them are (painful), especially from the bigger guys in this league," Battier said. "But I've been doing this long enough to know how to fall, especially when guys are going so fast. They fall on top of you sometimes. I took a charge in Orlando last year from Kelvin Cato that was much worse. A lot more blood."

That took nine stitches.

Life at 40

With his 18 rebounds Saturday, including a tip that gave the Rockets a decisive five-point lead in overtime, Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo, 40, has had at least 10 rebounds in 10 consecutive games, including three games with 18 or more.

Mutombo has averaged
    14.1 rebounds during that stretch. His average of 20.6 rebounds per 48 minutes leads (among qualified players) the NBA.

"Deke's played great, not good," coach Jeff Van Gundy said.

#1 macfan, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Shane is the MAN!

3. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

;) Shield the children indeed

4. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

hey macfan, this is unrelated, but where can i find the post game quotes of the sacramento game? thanks

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

LOL, one game flaw I've noticed in a few games is that Battier can really lose it, he gets completely caught up arguing with a ref while the game goes on.

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

where's all the haters??

7. FFz

FFz Member

someone on the rockets have to. he's really nice about it too and i think that gives him some more calls. For example, he's getting a lot of charges when it's questionable, and with the new emphasis on giving offensive players the advantage, those charges should have been blocking fouls.

8. Omer

Omer Member

Oh sheit, we have a 6'8" explosive scorer with playmaking skills like Steve Nash.

MVP? Yes.

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

What do you think Battier is saying when he's jawing to the refs?

"Aw, shucks, come on, Bernie! That was an asinine call. You had to see that I had my feet set. Oh well, hopefully you are able to be in a better viewing position next time!"

10. atwood

atwood Member

:D Go rockets!

Batman and uncle Mutomubo!

Great playmaker TMAC!

11. macfan

I was just kidding. JVG is a great guy, but you don't hear him praise players too often.

Which means this group must be a really "special" group of guys

Great charcter guys who are very unselfish and put their ego aside for the good of the team.

That's why Snyder is not playing. He will be trying to pad his stats anytime he gets an opportunity. He's looking for a contract after 2008. He wants to have a prominent role. I've followed his career and he's a "Steve Francis" type. Pounds the ball a lot and looks for his shot.

Until Snyder realizes that his exposure in the playoffs would be better for his contractual situation than a couple of extra points in the regular season, he won't see a lot of playing time.

Bonzi already realized that his best chance to get a good contract is to help the Rockets go far. A lot of GMs will be sitting around their house during playoff time, drinking pina colada and itching to make a deal for one of the playoff performers.

Snyder is going to have to do the same. He's going to have to realize that he can't make any mental mistakes like he was doing at the beginning of the seaon and that he has to be a DEFENDER first and foremost.

#11 macfan, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Snyder is already signed through next season so I don't think he's playing for a contract. We exercised the option during training camp.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

JVG called Battier the best competitor he's ever coached in the NBA? Damn, JVG has coached really good players before. Coach K said the same thing about Battier, I believe. How nice is it that we got him.?

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This year's team reminds me of the group two seasons ago, with Sura, Barry, Wesley etc. Great chemistry. Great competitiveness. Smart. Except that this year's team is not old and breaking down (other than Mutombo). And we have a much more dominant Yao waiting to come back.

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

That line about Battier is the most effusive thing I've ever heard from Van Gundy.

16. macfan

We took Dallas to 7 games and Dallas has been the best team in the NBA ever since. If Yao was as dominant back then, we would have beat Dallas.

Dallas reminds me of the 02-03 Pistons in terms of their evolution. Tmac and the Magic pushed the Pistons to a 7 game series where they were down 3-1. That series gave Detroit their champinship pedigree in terms of teh experience and the battles they went through.

Dallas will be very tough to beat. I think the Rockets are the only team that can prevent them from winning the championship. They've already showed they own San Antonio. Devin Harris gives Nash a lot of trouble and if they slow down Nash, Phoenix has no chance. They are still angry about losing to Miami.

17. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I was thinkin the same exact thing! The only difference is that team had a better fast break, w/ Barry nailing 3s on the run....but this team has more athletes on defense, and are of course a lot younger! If only Alston could step up his play, this team could be special :cool:

18. DJ

DJ Member

Isn't it funny how he does not mention Rafer Alston?

19. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Didnt JVG say similar things about Ryan Bowen as he does now for Battier? Things like "tries hard" and "great competitor" :confused:

20. Pwnocchio

Pwnocchio Member

I think it's great to see JVG being so positive. It would seem that he is thoroughly impressed with how our team has responded to adversity, and the way we have found ways to win tough games. It's not enough that we just try hard, he knows that we have to be tough to make a run in this league. Nice to see him complimenting different aspects of the Rox. I've never thought of JVG as a pessimist, but more, a realist. I think he's even said this of himself. He knows what it takes to win, and he's not satisfied until he sees that we have it.