1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christopher Nolan's New Film: INTERSTELLAR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Jan 9, 2013.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sorry for being a prick but surly you are exaggerating by equating the film to an M. Night Shyamalan film.

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

3. alaskansnowman

Saw the movie. Thought it sucked.

I hated the utter BS explanation when McConaughey goes into the black hole. It was a total cop-out in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The more I see this thread the more think this movie sucked. It sucked.

1 person likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hmmm. My opinions of movies are almost always completely independent of Clutchfans threads about those movies, but I do enjoy the threads either way.

I'm going to go see Interstellar again.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You would use Rocket boosters to conserve fuel of the spaceship. Each time a spaceship has to leave orbit it would use a lot of it's own fuel. This way a ship would get more milage out of a tank.

You might have a car that can go 400 miles on a tank. But if it had a spare tank that covered the first 100 miles you could jettison, hey that means you could go 500 miles instead.

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

If you see it a second time, definitely make sure it's IMAX Film and not IMAX Digital. I was blown away at the difference on my second viewing. None of the Houston theaters have IMAX Film, but Austin/Dallas/San Antonio each have one. The movie will be out of theaters in 2 weeks and this is the last IMAX Film ever so it'll be an end of an era. The drive or flight will be worth it.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Why is this the last IMAX film ever?

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Never mind I just read an article about it. Living in austin I will have to go see this.

10. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Just saw the movie again tonight. Sure I understood and appreciated the movie a little more, but I also ended up being totally immersed in Hans Zimmer's score. Fantastic, chilling soundtrack. The docking scene score was splendid to hear.

11. B-Bob

Thanks! That's the plan, but I'm not sure how to find out which kind of IMAX the different theaters have around here. Need to poke around a bit.

12. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I'm currently in the San Antonio theater that is showing it in 70mm IMAX. I'm pretty pumped, haven't seen it yet. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

13. downbytheriver

Loved it. It wasn't a razzle dazzle big budget movie with stupid explosions. It was human and straight forward .. Don't know anything about physics so couldn't understand the 4th and 5th dimension stuff.

Ive got a bunch of questions. SPOILERS

How can future humans exist in the first place? The ones who created the wormhole. They have to be existing at this very moment, side by side with their current forms...

What planet did Amelia Brand start up the test tube life on? The 2 they visited weren't fit for human life, so she kept hopping from planet to planet in her pod?

Why didn't she age?

Why all the circling by the space ships? There were times mccaunahey intentionally decided to rotate the ship

Why didn't McCauanhey age when he was in the time dimension sending out morse code and the new planet rescued him?

Are sleep chambers real?

The big secret was... humans can take gravity with them across space? Was that it..? It had nothing to do with time right, because the humans on earth never went into the wormhole, they just made a big artificial metal planet and took that into orbit?

14. B-Bob

*** SPOILERS ***

This is your hardest question. The movie suggests that at some point future humans become "5 dimensional" beings who can then move around in time as they like, including building a wormhole to "our" time. They can visit our time if they want, no problem. (Like Terminators, if you will.)

This was the third planet where she wanted to go in the first place (because her boyfriend was there). M.M. was dumb to deny her request and waste a bunch of earth years in the process, all to grapple with crazy Matt Damon, etc.

That was weird. Because the third planet was a greater distance from the black hole and would have experienced something much closer to earth time. I actually thought it was kind of a flashback (?) from the actual time at the end of the movie. That was sloppy, imho.[/quote]

Well, most of the rotating was to simulate gravity. That's real physics. It's like swinging a bucket to keep water in it, even at the top of the arc. The last bit they just had to dock with a wildly rotating damaged space mother ship thingie.

Well, that's the magical part of the movie, in a big way. The future super-humans can do what they want inside a black hole (?!?!) and they could keep him moving through time at any rate they wanted I guess and then poop him out near Saturn at whatever time they wanted. Total unicorn stuff, tbh. But that's fine.

Not that I know of. But they are a movie staple now when traveling long distances, as per Alien franchise, etc. :)

Well, I think the humans were *headed* for that wormhole and were going to join what's-her-haircut on that third planet. One secret was "figuring out gravity" and how to control it. That must be one step on our way to being super-powerful future humans who can control black holes, etc.

15. SexyButIgnorant

Neil DeGrasse Tyson approved of the science in this film. Therefore, I approve this film. And the amazing score by Hans Zimmer.

Solid 8.5/10.

16. B-Bob

Saw it again last night, took Mrs. B-Bob, and we went for 70mm Imax. It was really gorgeous, especially to see the long view space scenes and the tesseract in that format.

The problem for us was the sound. The score was *amazing* with that audio, but the dialogue was incredibly hard to hear. The bass of the score drowned out everything. Michael Cain's lines were totally inaudible. Since I had seen it before, I ended up translating constantly for Mrs. B-Bob and some other people around us.

Kinda lame they can't balance the sound in a theater that fancy. But anyway, really enjoyed the second viewing b/c you could see how carefully every little bit of the film was edited, sequenced, etc. So much foreshadowing and so many shout-outs to other sci-fi classics, etc.

17. downbytheriver

Well, most of the rotating was to simulate gravity. That's real physics. It's like swinging a bucket to keep water in it, even at the top of the arc. The last bit they just had to dock with a wildly rotating damaged space mother ship thingie.

Well, that's the magical part of the movie, in a big way. The future super-humans can do what they want inside a black hole (?!?!) and they could keep him moving through time at any rate they wanted I guess and then poop him out near Saturn at whatever time they wanted. Total unicorn stuff, tbh. But that's fine.

Not that I know of. But they are a movie staple now when traveling long distances, as per Alien franchise, etc. :)

Well, I think the humans were *headed* for that wormhole and were going to join what's-her-haircut on that third planet. One secret was "figuring out gravity" and how to control it. That must be one step on our way to being super-powerful future humans who can control black holes, etc.[/QUOTE]

'Preciate it. This helps. I mistakenly thought Matt Damon was Amelia's love interest and that's why she apologized to McConaughey when things went wrong...

Simulate gravity? You mean to make it go forward like a bicycle? Does it waste fuel to make the ship rotate?

I felt the humans were content to play baseball on their new, clean planet and weren't interested in joining Amelia. that's why mcconahey's daughter told him to go find her since he was a pioneer n all that.

++i think the sound issues were intentional and added to the muffled spacey feel of the movie. i could hear 95% of what was said without having to struggle.

18. B-Bob

On gravity, i mean it like this: if you are in space, you would be just floating around your ship. By spinning a large ring in space, you take advantage of the "centrifugal force" (a misnomer, but we don't want a whole physics lesson, right?), and as objects and astronauts are held against the outer walls of the ring, it feels a lot like having gravity pulling your feet to the floor.

I hear you about baseball, but I thought rightly or wrongly that they were still going to send people through the wormhole. Maybe I'm totally wrong though -- they didn't really mention what they were going to do I guess.

Maybe so on the sound. When I saw the movie in non-iMax, I could get 95% too. In Imax last night, it was down around 60-70% though. Maybe we had a crummy position in the theater though.

19. dmc89

dmc89 Member

That's a shame about the sound. Which 70mm IMAX theater did you see it at?

20. B-Bob

San Francisco "Metreon" downtown. Part of the problem is my fault. I forgot that, for that one screen, they have assigned seating, so I should have purchased tix in advance for us. But we walked in at kind of the last minute and had crappy seats too close to the front (which means bottom of the screen and probably inches from the mongo woofers).