1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Hackenberg - Your quarterback of the future

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was doing a search on this type of thing and found this article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/39485-nfl-gms-beware-the-rule-of-59-hasnt-missed-yet

That's pretty convincing (even though it seems he used a relatively small sample size - 99-05). I'm not nearly as excited about him now. :confused:

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Do you guys think BOB intentionally avoided drafting a QB the past two seasons for this moment to draft Hack?

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I kind of do, to a certain extent.

5. Two Sandwiches

He tried to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Came in and basically refused to scheme for one of his best players. Had Hackenberg taking most snaps out of the shotgun, which he struggled to adapt to. Hackenberg was always a pro style quarterback and not a spread guy. Franklin essentially forced him to play spread. It brought about Hackenberg's most glaring weakness - poor footwork from the shotgun. This lead to a poor completion percentage. Well, that coupled with five turnstiles playing in front of him.

1 person likes this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Not purposefully but a head coach knows whoever they "choose" as their QB and stick with they are stuck with in the sense that if those QBs fail the head coach is gone as well. So Bob has been reluctant to stick with anyone. But yeah this seems like the year he will have to tie his job to a more permanent QB.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wow, thats interesting…the only reason I even looked into it was because I was surprised at how low Hack's percentage was and thought it would be fun to kill some time looking through current NFL starters.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hackenberg might be the truth with 16TD/6INT in that situation.

He's immobile though, right?

What quality was Lion's receiving core, TE, and RBs?

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That would've been pretty stupid. If Hack was still expected to go where he was expected to go after his freshman season (Top QB, top few picks if not #1), then the Texans would've had to be pretty bad 2 years into the O'Brien era for them to pick him. And if OB really were holding out, I doubt he expected Hack to struggle the way he has and that he'd drop in the draft, perhaps even to the 2nd or 3rd round. Simply put, there are too many variables between how Hackenberg has (or hasn't) developed and where the Texans ended up drafting to believe that OB intentionally held out specifically to get his old college QB.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not really. He's not a running QB by any means but he's not a statue either.

11. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Just some Senior Bowl chatter from Walter Football

http://www.walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2016rumors.php

Sources with multiple teams have been extremely critical of Penn State head coach James Franklin and his handling of quarterback Christian Hackeneberg. Just to be clear, none of these sources are with the Houston Texans. They say that Franklin was a terrible coach for Hackenberg. These sources have known Franklin for years and feel he is responsible for a lot of the problems with Hackenberg. Franklin tore down Hackenberg and hurt his confidence. They say that Franklin is a rah-rah type of coach who showed a lot of favoritism toward the players he brought to Penn State over the players he inherited from Bill O'Brien and Joe Paterno. On top of Franklin's poor handling, Hackenberg was sacked 103 times in his 38 collegiate games with the vast majority of those sacks coming in the two seasons with Franklin. The offensive line was pathetic, but teams feel that Franklin set up Hackenberg for some failure because he tried to fit a square peg into a round hole from a scheme perspective. They feel a good coach would have adapted their scheme to Hackenberg and the other pro-style players O'Brien cultivated. They say that Franklin never embraced Hackenbarg as his guy to lead the program.
    Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2016rumors.php#RlAY2yE0wWjmFzFo.99

12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I'm okay with this move as long as we go Elliott in the 1st and Hackenberg in the 2nd.

Elliott instantly provides a much needed boost on offense as Foster's replacement. I could live with a great defense and strong running game as our identity until we develop our QB of the future. Plus, drafting a QB outside the top 10 is always a crap shoot so it's worth taking the risk with BOB's guy and see if he can develop him in the most ideal situation possible.

13. conquistador#11

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I agree with Zeke at 1 but BOB will think Hack will be gone in the 2nd and likely will reach for him in the 1st...:confused:

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Another option is to take Zeke then trade up to the top of the 2nd and take Hackenberg if the Texans are worried about him being gone.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Throw away the name, watch the tape and tell me one thing Christian Hackenberg does better than Sean Mannion did.</p>&mdash; Benjamin Allbright (@AllbrightNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/692936631410622465">January 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The numbers certainly support the theory.

As a true freshman, Hackenburg had a reasonably promising first year under O'Brien:
    58.9%; 2,955; 20/10; 134.0 rating

There are not a lot of NFL corollaries; few players start as a true freshman, frankly. The only two I could find were Andy Dalton and Carson Palmer (who actually split time as a freshman - but did throw 235 times).

Dalton completed 59.8%; Palmer 55.3%

Both players improved over the next 3 seasons (Dalton hit 66.1% his senior year; Palmer 63.2% - although, it's worth noting: Palmer has sub-60% his sophomore and junior years).

O'Brien left after Hackenburg's freshman year, and something absolutely happened to his development as he actually regressed significantly his sophomore year (55.8%; 2,977; 12/15; 109.4 rating) before a decent bounce back his junior year - though he was still not an appreciably good college QB (53.5%; 2,525; 16/6; 123.9 rating).

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I personally liked the night and day difference with Hack when he actually uses his feet. I think with BOB he goes back to that quite often

19. Two Sandwiches

Who is this clown?

Mannion has a long, baseball delivery, which is almost required to generate arm strength and ball speed. He doesn't have the natural arm talent of Hackenberg. He played with better talent. He's more inaccurate than Hackenberg, to me, by a decent margin. I'm not sure about his football IQ, though, to be honest. Its one of Hack's best qualities, though. Also, it's a bit noticeable how his stats fell off after he lost Brandon Cooks.

Mannion had good college tape, though, and a good career. He could be a successful NFL starter, eventually, but he'll never be a pro bowler. In all honesty, he's probably a poster child to show that stats in college don't always mean everything.

#99 Two Sandwiches, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  20. Two Sandwiches

Exactly. The numbers are exactly what you'd expect because it's what happened. I'm pretty sure at least a few NFL scouts share this opinion, based off what I've read. The only concern is the completion percentage. I understand that concern. It's legit.

I understand people think that people are making excuses for him. The only explanation for his dip is that his receivers dropped more passes, and his oline got worse

Bobby nailed it when he said you could have put a traffic cone at left tackle and had the same protection. Seriously. I don't know how many legit NFL lineman prospects they have, but my guess is less than two.

Once again, sounds like excuse making 101, just depends on if you're buying or not. I understand those that aren't, but I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.