1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Hackenberg - Your quarterback of the future

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fantasma Negro

Whoa, I was unaware that he'd signed a four year contract extension in August. Crap it's gonna be Hackenberg vs Savage. But Hackenberg can be had in the 2nd. Elliott or McCaffrey in the first , Hackenberg in the second, O line help in the third. Could be worse

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I think McCafferey has to be in school for one more year.

If we do end up with Hackenberg *sigh* I hope we go for best OL in the first, trade back to end of 2nd, then Hackenberg with out late second. Kiper has him a 3rd, but I don't think he'd make it to our third. but I still think our 2nd would be a reach. So, trade back and try to get another mid-round pick. We really need some interior help, and Brown isn't getting any younger. We need to start replenishing our line with some upper level talent, so we don't have to rely on street free agents is we have an injury or two.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

At the VERY least, if O'Brien signs off on Hack, then we should be able to rest assured that this is the QB that BOB believes is worth hitching his wagon onto. BOB, as a reputed offensive guru / QB whisperer, shouldn't have been allowed to go 3 seasons without even attempting a serious QB draft pick.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

BoB also had the deepest scouting report on the 6 PSU players drafted the last 2 years yet there was zero discussion about him drafting any of them. Now all of the sudden BoB has this propensity of doing so? And don't think the fact that he brought in Hoyer, Mallett, or other guys he has worked with in the past has any bearing because coaches do this league wide.

If we end up drafting Hack, I'll trust that BoB has done his homework and believes he can be that guy. Otherwise, he has never shown a propensity for drafting players he coached at PSU. Everything else is pure conjecture.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

So our qb situation next year is Hoyer, Savage , HackenBust?

6. conquistador#11

lol funny how it's savior one day, complete trash the next. when we lost our first game, the talk was that we'd have to tank to even get shot at hackenberg.

7. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I dont see a scenario where savage and a rookie are on this team

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is absolutely not true. The kid has a little scrambling ability, and can move around the pocket pretty well. He's a tough sack.

9. Victorious

Victorious Member

Rb in 1st, Heisenberg in the 2nd and get Drew Brees if hes available

10. showa13

showa13 Member

This. Well maybe not the RB in the first round(not sold on any first round pick yet) but I'm all for getting Hack if he can sit a year or two behind Brees and develop his tools more. Go the Denver route and get a former super bowl winning QB who's still got some gas in the tank left and develop his replacement.

Unless they feel like savage can be the guy then I say give him a shot

11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

If The Texans can pickup Drew Brees............. they can get Hackenberg and do whatever with him.

12. Two Sandwiches

Cannonball,

You make many valid arguments, including the Mcgloin argument. That is probably the best argument there is.

The thing is, O'Brien got the play he did out of Hack as a true freshman at 18. Sure, he may have been ruined by Franklin, but he's still just 21, and you have to imagine some scenario where he's redeemable. By all accounts, he's a coachable kid, if nothing else.

Also, the "not scouting" thing, while it looks bad, is a bit of hyperbole. Obviously, you'd have to scout him, especially considering what you bring up, as far as Franklin and how much has he been ruined. Part of why I say it is because, from what I've read, Hackenberg's inner circle is four people - four men who are closest to him. Guess who they are? His dad, George Whitfield (which is also why I have to hope he hasn't been ruined), Trent Dilfer, and.....Bill O'Brien. These two are good friends, and I would assume that they still talk and keep tabs on each other. Obviously you'd do your due diligence, though.

I agree that there may be better quarterbacks in the end. I don't think there will be better value.

If you watch his games this year and throw stats out the window, you see a kid who shows glimpses each game. He makes some laser throws that are perfect. He makes touch throws that fall where they should. Then, he'll overthrow someone. He throws very well on the boot. He can move well in the pocket. He's tough to bring down. I feel like people are really underrating him based on stats alone. His biggest issue is that he has consistency problems at times, which is a given due to their lack of talent. Their lack of talent, as we all know, is due to playing many walk ons and losing scholarships.

I'm not saying he's a sure fire great QB in the future. I'm just saying he's shown he has the tools, and he's displayed it on the field. He's made some great plays throughout his career, just not always as consistent as you'd like. Is he worth a second round pick? Absolutely. Is he worth a first round pick? I think in time he'll prove he is, but that's a gamble.

I feel like every draft, there are people that you look back and say, duh, it was obvious this guy was going to be a player. Why didn't they get drafted earlier? Russell Wilson, to me was one. Tyronn Mattheiu was one, but we know why he wasn't drafted earlier. Tyler Lockett to me, was one. I think Hack may be one.

One last thing. Never underestimate McNair's pull on the humanity of players. Drafting that Texans kind of player. Hack fits that to a tee.

As I said before, although I'm writing all this in defense of Hackenberg, there are two QBs I want out of this draft - Hackenberg or Wentz.

1 person likes this.
  13. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Great post!

I am a big believer that it's the intangibles in pro-sports that make all the difference. Everyone has tools, everyone has top notch coaching, but it's the mental fortitude that determines what time they come to work (see David Carr), how they deal with adversity (see Vince Young), how they lead their teammates, etc. Given that O'Brien has been around Brady and knows Hack since he was 18, I'd trust his judgement.

As for the draft, if Hack is there in the first and BOB thinks he's the guy, we have to take him. Let's not be cute with it. In the 2nd and 3rd, I think we **need** a big-play guy (someone who can take it to the house, whether it be a RB or WR) and an every-down RB. I think we can re-load our OLine depth in the middle rounds given that we don't have a glaring need for a starter.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Funny to hear BOB getting criticized for making a mythical move that is very much an unknown if it is going to happen...

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think people just pretend like Hackenberg and O'Brien is this strong thing that's bound to happen because it's a convenient, easy thing to say.

"Oh hey, O'Brien recruited him in college. Hmm.... Yeah, yeah, he has to have him in the NFL! Has to! Genius take."

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep.

He basically was personally scouting/recruiting and likely lobbying for Jimmy G. as well.

Pats likely looking to flip him for picks anyways, with Brady not going anywhere any time soon.

17. Two Sandwiches

O'Brien is one of four people that come up when you talk about Hackenberg's inner circle. Hackenberg thanked O'Brien and staff, but not his current coach when declaring for the draft. O'Brien needs a quarterback in the worst possible way. His owner has supposedly given him an ultimatum to go get a quarterback this year. O'Brien has already proven to lean towards QBs that know his system.

How does that add up to, " because he recruited him, he's going to draft him?" It's a bit more than that.

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

3+ years of development while JJ gets older and older

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But its not really that much more.

BOB could just as easily like any other QB in this draft... or a backup like Jimmy G.

20. Two Sandwiches

He could, and I think this is the year where there are actually plenty of decent options. But there is more to the Hackenberg thing than what some would like to believe. Just look at what I pointed out. That's a good deal more.

I also believe where there's smoke there's fire, and we probably haven't heard everything.

I also trust in O'Brien and I know he is not so closed minded to have already made up his mind on a QB. I just have a feeling he'll scout, evaluate, and then go back to his guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.