1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christ died on the cross?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Anxiety Trooper, Mar 21, 2013.

?

Jesus

1. Died on the cross

48 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. Survived

20 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Anxiety Trooper

I'm curious what Christians believe? Did Jesus die on the cross or did he survive?

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I was raised as a liberal Protestant in a UCC affiliated church.

From what I remember from Sunday school, Jesus was, in fact, killed on the cross on Good Friday (hence our atonement). However, on Easter Sunday he miraciously rose from the grave, thus conquering death (and fulfilling the prophecy in the Torah about the messiah being unable to die).

Not sure if that's what all Christians believe, but that's what I was taught. I know there are some (small) sects that believe God (as the Father) came down in the form of Jesus (the son) and was killed, and lives as the Holy Spirit.

3. Anxiety Trooper

What do you think about the swoon theory?

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The belief that Jesus died and rose again is fundamental to Christianity.

Never heard of the swoon theory, had to look it up. That would seem to be well outside the mainstream of Christian beliefs.

5. the shark

the shark Member

If you're a Christian you believe he died on the cross.
    If you don't believe that he died on the cross than you're not a Christian.

6. Anxiety Trooper

Do you think believing in the Swoon theory means you can't be a Christian?

7. what

what Member

is that what you believe?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well, yes. Believing in the "swoon theory" would seem to be a way to explain that Jesus did not in fact rise from the dead because he is not God. If you don't believe Jesus rose from the dead and is God then you are not a Christian. You can still believe in Christian tenets, but the fundamental belief of Christianity is that Christ is the son of God, died and was buried and rose again on the third day.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If you want to be controversial, at least use a theory from a real biblical scholar like Schonfield.

10. Anxiety Trooper

Not trying to be controversial. Just something I was reading lately and wanted to get others thoughts.

11. Anxiety Trooper

It's very plausible

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If you're interested in this sort of stuff, check out the Passover Plot by Hugh Schonfield.

13. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I've heard alternate theories that he was hung from a tree or perhaps a Blair Witch Cross.

But yeah, if you're a Christian and don't believe he died on the cross, are you really a Christian?

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

is this troll bait for people who believe he rose again after dying?

15. conquistador#11

"Jesus was not a zombie, bones!" -agent booth-

16. Anxiety Trooper

I will. thanks

17. what

what Member

explain what you mean by plausible? what parts of this theory lead you to believe it was plausible?

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'd need to see the coroners report.

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Is this the same Jesus that mowed my lawn yesterday?

20. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

"That they rejected Faith; That they uttered against Mary A grave false charge; That they said (in boast): 'We killed Christ Jesus The son of Mary, The Messenger of Allah.' But they killed him not, Nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not. Nay, Allah raised him up Unto Himself; and Allah Is Exalted in Power, Wise. And there is none of the people of the book (Jews and Christians) But must believe in him (Jesus) Before his death; And on the Day of Judgment He (Jesus) will be a witness Against them." [Qu'ran 4:158]

3:55 "Behold! God said: O Jesus! I will take thee And raise thee to Myself And clear thee (of the falsehoods) Of those who blaspheme; I will make those Who follow thee superior To those who reject faith, To the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, And I will judge Between you of the matters wherein ye dispute."

O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: nor say Of God ought but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) A Messenger of God, And His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and the Spirit proceeding From Him: so believe In God and His Messengers. Say not "Trinity": desist: It will be better for you: For Allah is One God: Glory to Him: (Far Exalted is He) above Having a son. To Him (God) Belong all things in the heavens And on earth. And enough Is God as a Disposer of affairs.

Christ disdaineth no To serve and worship God, Nor do the angels, those Nearest (to God): Those who disdain His worship and are arrogant, He will gather them all Together unto Himself (Jesus) to (answer)."

1 person likes this.