1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Webber: Greatest Passing PF of All Time?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Mar 27, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Let's assume Larry Bird is a SF. Was Webber the greatest passer at the PF of all time? I think he might have been. Malone, Barkley, and Garnett all have put up big assist numbers at various points in their career, but I don't know if any of them had the feel for passing the rock that C-Webb had.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFJFZUm9tLs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFJFZUm9tLs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Asian Sensation

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It's quite possible. I think people sometimes get blinded by all the negativity surrounding Webber (injuries, him being a head case, etc) that they forget that this guy is one of the best pure talents the PF position has ever seen.

His unique combination of fakes, skills, athleticism and range to go along with his incredible rebounding and passing abilities were truly uncommon for a big man in the NBA. If it weren't for the all the injuries he could have 2-3 rings by now and be in the discussion for the best PF's of this generation.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

If Bird is considered a SF... then yeah, this isn't even a discussion. Webber's passing was just stupid good.

In fact, might Webber be the best passing big man of all time, besides maybe Arvydas Sabonis? Hmmm... I mean, Walton could really pass the rock too... but who's really up there with Webber and Sabonis? I know I must be forgetting someone, but I can't think who off the top of my head...

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Kings had 3 of the 50 best passing big men of the modern era on their roster at the same time.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DERRICK COLEMAN!!!! . . . . .You're Welcome!!!

Rocket River
    ;)

7. Dkny_112

Dkny_112 Member

Chris Webber was a GOD on the basketball court for the first 46 mins of a game..... Limitless talent, monster athlete, 5 tool player. His court vision is pretty similar to Tmacs actually.

If he had that "it" factor and by that i mean killer instinct he would have been one of the top 3 pf's of all time.

I mean, even when the Kings were the cream of the crop, it was Bibby taking and MAKING the big shots. Same as on those fab 5 Michigan teams - if they needed a big bucket, they went to Jalen or Juwan. Webber was always the best player on the team... never the leader.

The only reason that team never won a ring or two (besides the LA biased officiating) is because CWEBB and Christie wilted under the pressure.

8. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

You're forgetting Vlade!!!!!!!! Holy crap, I loved that team.

9. therack06

therack06 Member

I'd say Walton, Russell, and possibly Chamberlain (only center ever to lead the league in assists, but had the reputation of passing simply to pad his assist stats) belong in any discussion about the great big man passers of all time.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Russell and Chamberlain were before my time, never really saw them play much.

For the ones whom I've actually watched, I'd say Sabonis and Webber are the best. Walton was probably up there. And Divac was also a great passer. I had hoped that Yao could become one of them.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's kind of besides the point, if he was able to lead the league in assists that's pretty good....most centers even if they tried couldn't get more than 4 or 5.

12. dischead

dischead Member

Juwan Howard

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

of the players i've personally seen i would have to say yeah and its not even close. watching webber play those games was awesome. they would have won at least one ring if it wasnt for that oddly reffed game 6 and chris blowing out his knee against the mavs the following year.

the surgery really did him in even when he started to lose his athleticism he still was great but the microfracture just grounded him completely

14. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

wow watching him make all those difficult passes makes you wonder how many turnovers a game he contributed too.

15. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Loved watching that Kings team.........

Wish chris had have hit that three against the Twolves that one year

16. cobbler

cobbler Member

You should have seen Sabonis in his prime. You saw the 40 yr old version. He was by far the best passing big man to ever play the game. HANDS DOWN

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I agree 100% the way he passed the ball for a big man was amazing.

18. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

If it wasn't for that 3 pointer by Horry he would have had atlease one ring for sure.

19. pchan

pchan Member

I like C-Webb, but man he is never healthy. That washington bullets team with Him, Juwan (Yes... that Juwan), Muresan, cheaney, and pack/Price would have been something if he wasn't so injury proned. Also, he always get owned by Barkley.

Anyway, he is a great passer, but I won't put him at the greatest of anything at all time.

20. lpbman

lpbman Member

I dunno about his passing in an all time sense... but he's the best I've seen.

Also, my early impression of him as an analyst is he's going to be very good if he makes it his career. He's much much better than Magic, for starters.