1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul's actually been running the offense a lot better than Harden.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LorneMalvo, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Since his return, with Ennis & Chriss no longer with the club, it's true.

Faried is playing better, Gordon is playing better. Those are two guys I expect Paul to be better defensively. Now don't get me completely wrong as Faried does blow assignments & his switches quiet a bit too, however I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because he is new to our situational switching system and most importantly he has shown improvement just about every single game.

As I said earlier, Gerald Green is the only person you can currently have a discussion as being worse defensively right now. Athletics is a thing though, it's advantageous, and right now I side with Green being slightly better as his hustle & lanky length sometimes makes up & allows him to recover from the mishaps. Rivers, Tucker, Nene-- pretty much the only other guys who secure minutes aren't switching wrong, getting lost, & missing cuts on the same level that Paul is right now.

With that said I feel it's absolutely a fair & reasonable statement to make.

Do I think it will continue? I hope not.. I do know that if it's not even acknowledged than it more likely will continue. I'm confident the team & Paul himself are well aware though.

#61 Realjad, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  2. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Harden needs to learn when to be Harden and When to be Chris Paul

deb4rockets, saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  3. solid

solid Contributing Member

The first principle of basketball is that every time the ball moves, the defense has to reset. To make them work you have to swing the ball. The Rocket's don't know this.

bmelo and hakeem94 like this.
  4. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

They know it, they might just not want to do it.

Iso works, yes, but the problem with being complacent with what simply works is that when it isn't working (maybe against a playoff defense game planning for you), it can be difficult.

Last season it was fine because the Rockets could also win games on defense, but this season that's not the case.

HP3 and solid like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmm okay, this sounds a lot more reasonable after reading this.

I dont think Faried will ever be that great of a switch defender, I dont think hes gotten better every game if anything hes gotten worse. You shouldnt give him the benefit of the doubt because if he could really be that good, Brooklyn wouldnt have bought him out.

That hasnt happend for a while now, Gerald still gets lost alot. If anything, he should be doing more, he should actually be really active on the boards because hes our most athletic player.

Idk man if you want to make an agrument for Tucker, Nene, Rivers, and maybe Gordon, we can do that. The rest...I think dont think Paul is nearly as bad at. Im sorry, but I will go back and look at some highlights, or if you could show me some film. Cause there is also Harden who def has not been defending better than Paul.

The numbers even back up that Paul has been a plus defender for us this season(of course i havent checked the ones since hes been back, but I dont think hes been nearly as bad as you say he has.). But I think I def have to rewatch some stuff thanks to your post haha.

Realjad likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Let’s be honest.

Rockets missed their opportunity last season. Time to just enjoy the team for what they are and put expectations into perspective.

7. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Cp3 needs to play off the ball meaning he needs to be guarding the 2 or preferably the 3 not the 1 he cant handle that anymore

8. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

nba and silver wanted no part of trump and sent the refs on us

9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

If you sleeping on harden, time to wake up. The three three pointers after leg injury was big.

People have to talk about cp3 screen for harden.

10. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

More of the same tonight it seems.

xaos likes this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

This lineup of Harden/CP3/Clint/Faried/Gordon is interesting.

Faried and Clint both go up high to pick and the options present themselves. My only fear is teams will wise up and Faried will get a lot more open threes.

s3ts likes this.
  12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Never thought Chris Paul could lead the team in rebounding for two quarters of a nba game.

Wait, cp3 leading all players in rebounding!?

How old is cp3!? Thought cp3 was all washed up post-all star game. Playoff run????

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Sounds crazy but leaving Faried too wide open may be good for the Rockets. His shot ain't all that bad.

xaos likes this.
  14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Far"weed" is great off the bench in garbage time at the end of quarters.

If he playing well, nothing to lose, all to gain especially rebounding!

If he playing well, let him continue into the next quarter after garbage time! If poor, snatch his Ashe up quick!

15. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

Pj tucker should not be starting

16. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The defensive rotation ability of tucker is gonna keep him in rotation.

Defensive rotation and gang rebounding fortitude gonna keep tucker starting for quite some time!

17. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Bumping this for those who think guys simply hit shots tonight. And since the past two games these stats have gotten even more extreme. I’ll update them later.

BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cp"weed"?

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Harden needs to start playing the 2... it’s gonna be more fun for him... a lot more downhill.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

The problem with Clint and Faried is Clint doesn't know what to do as much. He defers to Faried. Clint isn't used to having a true power forward at any point in his career.

hakeem94, xaos and saleem like this.