1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul was on verge of being traded to Chicago yesterday?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jun 2, 2019.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Agreed. Ok, so torched may be excessive, but his rotations and ability to stay in front of his man declined precipitously this year and resulted in the team defense being more sound when he was off the court, particularly when teams have faster and more athletics points such as curry.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's true but to be honest he was overweight. He hasn't lost his ability to be shockingly good when switched onto big men, nor in his ability to vocally organize the defense when he's on the floor. I don't mind his defense at all, though yes he can't stay in front of the fastest guys anymore.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

If weight was the primary issue - I doubt the rockets would be looking to trade him. Weight is controllable and injuries can be managed - to an extent. I think he lost a step, which makes playing him alongside harden more of a net negative. On a team with more defense at the two, his skills are still highly valuable for 30+ minutes a game. On ours, it’s primarily when harden sits now.

Sucks that the fall off was so impactful year over year

amaru likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm of the opinion the fall off was 50% age and 50% poor fitness.

The Rockets are looking to trade him because he's not worth his salary and his contract is going up. Even if he were not aging, he's a bad contract.

fattz, vlaurelio and studogg like this.
  5. 281Texan

281Texan Member

The deal was 100% with the contingency that we’d win a championship within his first couple years. This was definitely a short term move

amaru likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think it has a lot to do with the fact he doesn't control the ball as much as he did in LA and NO. He's second fiddle to Harden here and doesn't do anything else good enough to justify the contract.

Somewhere else , where he can orchestrate the offense …. He's much more value to the dollar than here.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

He had a chance before with clippers and never got past the 2nd round. He needed to be 2nd fiddle to someone.

amaru likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's beside the point …. He'd still be better elsewhere than here - somewhere he can run the offense. Here he's just a glorified backup.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Yeah better off but not a contender

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Wouldn't that depend upon who he has around him ?

Say he goes to Philly , that team is loaded for bear. Let him run the offense and they are a lot better.

New Orleans with AD ? …. He can guide that team to the playoffs.

Now you send him to the Lakers …. and all they have is Lebron and CP3 , they struggle to make the playoffs. The pieces aren't there.

Just depends upon who's around him …. No he isn't going to shoulder the load all by himself but he never really has.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I was on the verge of winning the power ball yesterday but then I decided not to buy a lottery ticket.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I cannot think of any contenders who would have given him that kind of contract.

20+ millions per year sure, but that kind of money and 4 yrs.......I would have given him 50 million but just for 1 year.

And it is rich to do the Incentive thing with Capela and MDA and not Paul who are not as outspoken as CP3 is.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not gonna argue against this …. I didn't want them to give him 4-5 years either.

But I think we all know that when that trade happened there had to be a handshake deal to give him the max over that 4 years.

Could he really go back on that without a career altering injury ? How would that affect future player acquisition ?

14. amaru

amaru Member

He controlled the ball enough to have an assist to turnover ratio of 1.9 (lol). I think Paul is finished as a real impact player. He probably still has value as a 3-4th option. But we don't have that luxury.

vlaurelio likes this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Don't say that out loud , a rival GM may hear you ….

We have to convince those rival GM's that its all Harden's fault that CP3 didn't make much impact so they will trade us something of value for that $40m anchor.

amaru likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

Lol good luck. Paul, and Capela for that matter, got exposed for the world to see

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not as down on Capela as most others are …. He can fix the things that gave him trouble.

CP3 on the other hand …. father time is undefeated.

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Paul 3 fg is 27%, playoffs.
    Bad fit for good teams
    Good fit for bulls and suns.
    That is why they make good offers.

vlaurelio likes this.